Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach French's 200th win

Featured Replies

We're trying to figure out when Coach French of Lincoln County will get his 200th win. He said before the season he needed three wins, however after we got these three he said he thought it was three more, so none of us are really sure. I've found his records from 1990 on and my total is 105. What I need is for somebody to help me out and tell me where I might be able to find these records, I went to the KHSAA website and found from '90 on so I need the '89 Meade County record, and his record while at Mercer. I appreciate the help.

I was told Friday nights win was number 200!!!!!

Coach French won 70 games at Mercer County, according to Donald Mac Yocum's Mercer's Friday Night Heroes.

 

Congratulations to Coach French!

Congratulations to Coach French!

 

I was on the Mercer team in '74, when he was still could out run us, backwards.

 

Good luck and hopefully many more wins

Congratulations to Coach French!

 

I was on the Mercer team in '74, when he was still could out run us, backwards.

 

Good luck and hopefully many more wins

 

 

One day in practice, I got back to the huddle, after running the ball on a pass play( I was the qb). He says to me, "Did the earth start to shake?" I said, "No sir." He says, "Then I don't want you to run the ball!":lol:

  • Author
One day in practice, I got back to the huddle, after running the ball on a pass play( I was the qb). He says to me, "Did the earth start to shake?" I said, "No sir." He says, "Then I don't want you to run the ball!":lol:

 

I read the post to dad and he knew exactly who it was, I think he enjoys telling that story on you. I got to hear him say stuff like that to me since I was about 5 years old and playing tee ball. I've gone through many of practices of when he kicked off the whole team off the field,and when I think a lot of teams would have been happy to be done with practice early, we would sit in our lockers scared to death about what would happen next. The best thing was senior year at Meade when I intercepted a slant route and 40+ yards and got caught from behind on the 2, I came to the sideline mad, he found me, looked at me and said "I wouldn't have got caught", and here he was turning 50 the next day.

I was told it was announced after the game at the stadium that indeed that was his 200th win. Congrats Coach French.

Not only does he have 200 wins but he has also coached Coach Buchanon from Mason and i believe Chuck Smith was one of his assistants. Correct me if im wrong or if there are others, but that seems to be an impressive legacy.

This turn around of Lincoln might be his greatest achievements, because they were in football puragotory before he arrived.

Not only does he have 200 wins but he has also coached Coach Buchanon from Mason and i believe Chuck Smith was one of his assistants. Correct me if im wrong or if there are others, but that seems to be an impressive legacy.

This turn around of Lincoln might be his greatest achievements, because they were in football puragotory before he arrived.

 

Puragotory?? Not quite, French is one of the top 10 best coaches in the state right now. Lincoln has more athletes on this years team then they have had in the last several years combined. So the athletes have been a big part of the turnaround along with Coach French.

Congrats coach French. It is well deserved.

Coach French is a not only a top notch Coach but a great person. He is a great role model for the kids. I am proud to have my boys play for him. Congratulations Coach French on 200 wins. ROLL LC!!!!

I read the post to dad and he knew exactly who it was, I think he enjoys telling that story on you. I got to hear him say stuff like that to me since I was about 5 years old and playing tee ball. I've gone through many of practices of when he kicked off the whole team off the field,and when I think a lot of teams would have been happy to be done with practice early, we would sit in our lockers scared to death about what would happen next. The best thing was senior year at Meade when I intercepted a slant route and 40+ yards and got caught from behind on the 2, I came to the sideline mad, he found me, looked at me and said "I wouldn't have got caught", and here he was turning 50 the next day.

 

Coach French knows how to keep you humble but at the same time make you think you can play.

 

Not only does he have 200 wins but he has also coached Coach Buchanon from Mason and i believe Chuck Smith was one of his assistants. Correct me if im wrong or if there are others, but that seems to be an impressive legacy.

This turn around of Lincoln might be his greatest achievements, because they were in football puragotory before he arrived.

 

I am very thankful that I got to play for Coach French, and be an assistant for him with Chuck Smith, and Jack Robertson. My dad hired Coach French as an assistant when he took the Mercer job in 1973.

 

One night, my dad says to Coach French, his defensive coordinator, "Larry, we have 12 guys on defense." Coach French says, "We've had 12 guys the last 5 plays and we still can't stop them." :lol:

 

I am happy for Coach French and the success he has enjoyed. We had alot of rough years at Mercer, and he fought through them for my dad, the players, and all of us. We won the first district and region championship(86) in a year we should have won 3 or 4 games. He is a great coach and person. I agree with the post that the Lincoln kids are fortunate to have them as their coach. He was in my wedding, we coached together in the all star game, beat Tennessee, and he would still do anything to help out his former players.

 

Congratulations to Coach French and thanks for all that you have done for all of us.

Congratulations to Coach French!

 

I was on the Mercer team in '74, when he was still could out run us, backwards.

 

Good luck and hopefully many more wins

I bet he still could.......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Not only does he have 200 wins but he has also coached Coach Buchanon from Mason and i believe Chuck Smith was one of his assistants. Correct me if im wrong or if there are others, but that seems to be an impressive legacy.

This turn around of Lincoln might be his greatest achievements, because they were in football puragotory before he arrived.

 

 

Puragotory?? Not hardly. Coach French is doing a good job at LC, but as he would be the first to tell you he is benefitting from inheriting a great group of athletes that have excelled all the way up from middle school. These kids won both the middle school football and basketball championships when they where in 8th grade. They are winners both on and off the court.

I had not realized he had been a head coach for 33 years. What is his overall record?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.