How does your school select their brand of uniforms?

thsrocks

Does your favorite team work with local sporting goods dealers to choose their uniforms? Do the players have any influence on the brand /style chosen?

Trinity had a deal with Adidas through Shively Sporting Goods. They recently switched to an out of town company with NIKE as their suppler for most sports except Ice Hockey. NIKE does not manufacture/sell Ice Hockey uniforms.

Back in the day (1970s, 1980s, 1990s) Trinity football wore Russell Athletic jerseys and Champion pants. The coaches were convinced these were the best available and would last longer.

St. Xavier has worn NIKE for several years and were the first in Jefferson County to wear football uniforms made in Japan. When NIKE started in the uniform business, the did not own a factory to manufacture uniforms. NIKE purchased a factory in Japan, and the Tigers had their Japanese. made uniforms. These were nice with sewn numerals, not screen-printed.

When I took over as AD at the school I was at, we didn't have a specific provider, each coach of their respective team went out on their own to solicit the best deal of the brand of uniform they wanted to use. Over the course of time while I was there, I was approached by an Adidas rep who I allowed them to present to my coaches during a meeting their proposal. Although we were not bound by a contract to be an "Adidas school", several of our bigger sports football, boys & girls basketball,b&g soccer, baseball & softball, etc.....All took the opportunity to utilize the deal & receive the discounts & the free gear they were offering to sign on with them for a 3 year team deal. In the end I think that overall the teams were happy with what they received, but I can see how its not a perfect deal for every program.

I've always been curious about this as well. Do the coaches typically take input from players on new uniforms? When I played baseball in HS we had some input on the uniforms. How do coaches choose helmet manufacturers as well? Do they take __# of helmets from Riddell, __# of helmets from Schutt? What if you want a unique helmet that has superior protection like a Xenith? Can coaches get that for you?

We bought a set of home jerseys this year. There was nothing wrong with the old home jerseys, just the manufacturer. You see, the style of jersey that we had from NIKE was discontinued. So we have a lot of nice jerseys we can't wear now. To reorder the correct #'s to replace and add jerseys, we had to get a different style jersey in white for our away's but the home jerseys looked nothing like our old uniforms. Our hand was forced, we had to order a new style of jersey. Due to this inconvenience, we switch back to Russell brand jersey. The numbers are sewn on and look great! Hopefully next year we can do some fundraising and replace our white away jerseys to match the style of the new Russell's.

We also let our seniors put their 2 cents in when we were designing the jerseys, despite the fact that it would have made more sense to ask the incoming freshman that would get the most (4 years) use out of them!

We bought a set of home jerseys this year. There was nothing wrong with the old home jerseys, just the manufacturer. You see, the style of jersey that we had from NIKE was discontinued. So we have a lot of nice jerseys we can't wear now. To reorder the correct #'s to replace and add jerseys, we had to get a different style jersey in white for our away's but the home jerseys looked nothing like our old uniforms. Our hand was forced, we had to order a new style of jersey. Due to this inconvenience, we switch back to Russell brand jersey. The numbers are sewn on and look great! Hopefully next year we can do some fundraising and replace our white away jerseys to match the style of the new Russell's.

We also let our seniors put their 2 cents in when we were designing the jerseys, despite the fact that it would have made more sense to ask the incoming freshman that would get the most (4 years) use out of them!

When we replace our jerseys we sell the old ones to the fans. It amazing what old jersey can bring