Just another thread on Mason/Montgomery Gyms

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairness, smairness. You want Augusta to host it in a gym that holds about 600 people?

Augusta gym is to small, but they ought to have a right to decide where it goes and be able to work the tournament and prosper financially from it with concessions & so forth. Augusta can rent Mason's gym. At least it was fair and Augusta's call. Paris may want to rent Montgomery's gym. But its there call.

As one can see I'm a novice on the computer and need a lesson in cut & paste. Sorry bout that. ;)

Fairness, smairness. You want Augusta to host it in a gym that holds about 600 people?

Augusta gym is to small, but they ought to have a right to decide where it goes and be able to work the tournament and prosper financially from it with concessions & so forth. Augusta can rent Mason's gym. At least it was fair and Augusta's call. Paris may want to rent Montgomery's gym. But its there call.

As one can see I'm a novice on the computer and need a lesson in cut & paste. Sorry bout that. ;)

No cut and paste needed. Hit the quote button under the post you want to refer to and it automatically cuts and pastes it themselves.

Only problem with what you suggests is that they could be doing all of that work and not in the tournament. Plus, they don't know all of the ins and outs or the people to talk to at Mason County.

No cut and paste needed. Hit the quote button under the post you want to refer to and it automatically cuts and pastes it themselves.

Only problem with what you suggests is that they could be doing all of that work and not in the tournament. Plus, they don't know all of the ins and outs or the people to talk to at Mason County.

COOL !:ylsuper: Thanks for the lesson.

Ins & Outs is why they would rent the gym. All part of the fee.

Its not central at all. Mt. Sterling has hotels and restaurants. I say move the 10th south every once in a while.

Not Central?? from Mapquest

To Maysville from:

Alexandria (Campbell, Brossart)-49 miles

Silver Grove-52 mi.

Covington (Calvary)-60 mi.

Taylor Mill (Scott)- 60 mi.

Brooksville- 20 mi.

Augusta- 22 mi.

Falmouth- 42 mi.

Cynthiana- 47 mi.

Carlisle- 34 mi.

mt. Sterling- 50 mi.

Winchester- 63 mi.

Paris (Paris, Bourbon)- 46 mi.

Avg travel-- 45.7 mi.

To Mt. Sterling from:

Alexandria- 119mi.

Silver Grove- 119 mi.

Covington- 111 mi.

Taylor Mill- 112 mi.

Brooksville- 65 mi.

Augusta- 67 mi.

Falmouth- 59 mi.

Cynthiana- 38 mi.

Carlisle- 24 mi.

Maysville (Mason, St. Pat)- 50 mi.

Winchester- 16 mi.

Paris- 30 mi.

Avg. Travel 67.26 mi.

THATS A DIFFRENCE OF 22 MILES!

Two questions:

1. What is the "official" seating capacity of this new gym in Mt. Sterling?

2. Why in the world did Montgomery County use taxpayer dollars to fund building a gym that will be only 1/4 to 1/2 full for 95% of their events? It's totally unnecessary. It is not like they have the demand for having more seats, and to top it off they have a nice/large gym already.

I do understand them wanting to build a new gym. But if the gym holds 4,500 people, as reported, I think it is a crime that they were permitted to build it just so they could host the regional tourney every other year. With the amount of funds needed to build such a large facility these days I am quite certain the money could have been put to better use in that school system... teacher raises? new academic programs? more computers?

As for where the 10th region should be hosted... Obviously, Mason Co. is the ideal spot where probably all but 2 or 3 schools in the region would prefer to have the tournament. However, if Montg. Co. is capable of holding the event I am pretty certain that the KHSAA will give them a shot.

Two questions:

1. What is the "official" seating capacity of this new gym in Mt. Sterling?

2. Why in the world did Montgomery County use taxpayer dollars to fund building a gym that will be only 1/4 to 1/2 full for 95% of their events? It's totally unnecessary. It is not like they have the demand for having more seats, and to top it off they have a nice/large gym already.

I do understand them wanting to build a new gym. But if the gym holds 4,500 people, as reported, I think it is a crime that they were permitted to build it just so they could host the regional tourney every other year. With the amount of funds needed to build such a large facility these days I am quite certain the money could have been put to better use in that school system... teacher raises? new academic programs? more computers?

As for where the 10th region should be hosted... Obviously, Mason Co. is the ideal spot where probably all but 2 or 3 schools in the region would prefer to have the tournament. However, if Montg. Co. is capable of holding the event I am pretty certain that the KHSAA will give them a shot.

1. Not enough.

2. All of those reasons can been stated simply as, "We don't want Mason to host the tenth every year and we'll waste tax payer dollars in order to make that happen."

The KHSAA doesn't have a say, I believe it's a region wide vote.

No one wants to rent someone else's gym. Thats like granny letting a stranger cook in her kitchen. Not going to happen!!:fight: