5A #13 Highlands vs 3A #7 Lexington Catholic

Pete W

Who wins Highlands or Lexington Catholic  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Highlands or Lexington Catholic

They 100% did it last year in football...there were much better underclassmen that didn't see the field because a senior had already put in his time. I still think it is happening in a few cases this year as well - but it isn't anything like last year IMO.

I also heard that back in the summer when football started, the coaching staff said "At this time, the seniors have the spot." Now, I obviously don't know if that is true, but it is was I was told from someone on the team.

To the bolded, why should that not be the case at the START of summer practice. I would love to hear who last year got playing time because they were a senior and who they held back from playing time. You can PM me with that information if you like so that this thread can stay on topic.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood's kicker never leaves the field. Plays wide receiver on offense and safety on defense. He kicked three field goals and put almost every kickoff into the end zone against Corbin last week. Just sayin.....

Agree that the young man is critical in all areas. BW has a history (as a great 1A program) of playing exceptional athletes the full game. A necessity simply because of their size. Can even remember in the past holding my breath when we had QBs playing middle and OLB positions. No question, we lost the state championship in 2015 to Pikeville because the best running back (Stringer) went down and didn't play in playoffs. Give us him on an average day and Pikeville can't stack and triple team Slusher. So, my rambling gets to my conclusion for smaller programs, play him and pray. More valuable on the field than cheerleading.

It would be nice to see them both playing this Friday night but I'm not sure that's realistic(I hope I'm wrong). I think they may still need some time to get acclimated. Huddleston hasn't gone FULL HUDDY yet but he is in pads and Ahlfeld just got fully cleared yesterday.

Though, IMO, once they are up and going they should be both playing offense and defense. At this point, it need's to be about winning for HHS and both offer homerun capabilities that Highlands needs and could use on both sides of the ball.

I am confused both offense and defense at Ryle? Did not the Ahlfeld boy leave to Ryle and come back and be anointed a two way starter? Interesting

I agree. The only one I worry about on that list is Bowman because he is also doing kicking duties and that's where he's needed most is kicking and then LB. Offense would probably have to be situational but he's a hard noised runner and a great kid.

Not true. Never penalize a player that can do multiple roles on a football team. Dougherty was an every down player and IMO was kept or used situational do to kicking. I have one that plays QB and LB does not like get out of bounds crap. Injuries are part of the game. He is missing his entire season and was not a result from football. Let the kids play, many do not play in college. Look at the boys basketball forum (Pangallo and McNeil). Enjoy the game. I am not a fan of cutting back based on abilities. Dunn should be playing both ways more and he needs to lower his pad level on Defense. Dad and I had the conversation.

I am confused both offense and defense at Ryle? Did not the Ahlfeld boy leave to Ryle and come back and be anointed a two way starter? Interesting

If you knew the Ahlfeld boy was back at HHS then you don't seem too confused.

I didn't know you needed to be anointed to be able play on both O and D at HHS. I thought you just needed to be able to help your team which he could do. So yes, that is interesting that you seem annoyed that coming from another school where the Ahlfeld boy only played varsity means he's not good enough to play at HHS? Why would you care if he's coming from Moyer Elementary or St Rita's School for the Deaf and Blind if he could help the team win.

Also, Pump your breaks, I never said starter. I said help contribute to a offense and defense that has been less than stellar. I also said I'd have numerous kids going both ways if I thought it could help the team win not just the Huddleston and Ahlfeld kid. Truth be told, I'd be playing N Bowman, C Schwalbach, M Dunn, T Johnson, B Sisson and probably a couple more kids both ways. Not every play but definitely a majority.

On a side note...I didn't bring up those two sophs to begin with, two other BGP'ers did. I simply said it would be nice to see them play but it's highly unlikely it happens until they get up to speed.

I think both Huddy and Ahlfeld are good enough athletes to warrant both sides of the ball. You need playmakers on the field not someone who put in his time but might be less affective. This isn't the recreational league, clearly there is significant pressure on BW to win. If you don't think that pressure isn't felt by him just watch his wife pace back and forth over by the locker room railing during the game. She looks a nervous wreck and its kinda sad.

If you knew the Ahlfeld boy was back at HHS then you don't seem too confused.

I didn't know you needed to be anointed to be able play on both O and D at HHS. I thought you just needed to be able to help your team which he could do. So yes, that is interesting that you seem annoyed that coming from another school where the Ahlfeld boy only played varsity means he's not good enough to play at HHS? Why would you care if he's coming from Moyer Elementary or St Rita's School for the Deaf and Blind if he could help the team win.

Also, Pump your breaks, I never said starter. I said help contribute to a offense and defense that has been less than stellar. I also said I'd have numerous kids going both ways if I thought it could help the team win not just the Huddleston and Ahlfeld kid. Truth be told, I'd be playing N Bowman, C Schwalbach, M Dunn, T Johnson, B Sisson and probably a couple more kids both ways. Not every play but definitely a majority.

On a side note...I didn't bring up those two sophs to begin with, two other BGP'ers did. I simply said it would be nice to see them play but it's highly unlikely it happens until they get up to speed.

Fair enough. I am not close enough to the situation to know why transfer and come back and it is a child so I wish him the best. I hear Hunter is an athlete; so looking forward to watching him play.

I think both Huddy and Ahlfeld are good enough athletes to warrant both sides of the ball. You need playmakers on the field not someone who put in his time but might be less affective. This isn't the recreational league, clearly there is significant pressure on BW to win. If you don't think that pressure isn't felt by him just watch his wife pace back and forth over by the locker room railing during the game. She looks a nervous wreck and its kinda sad.
BW is respected by both of my boys in the classroom and the players enjoy playing the game. I am wishing him the best and I for one saw this trend, but I also see some exceptional classes coming through. Hopefully they all stay with football. Trust me it is not fun when a season ends and a group of boys tell u, I am glad that is over with and on to college. That tells me there is a strong coach and player disconnect but that is for another forum.

I hear the birds finally have a few of the guys off the injury list. Even hearing rumors of a schematic change... this fan is very interested to see what changes BW is making to be able to stop the run. And look for a new sophomore just cleared to make a play or two.

Good news!! Wish the birds the best tonight :angrybird12:

I hear the birds finally have a few of the guys off the injury list. Even hearing rumors of a schematic change... this fan is very interested to see what changes BW is making to be able to stop the run. And look for a new sophomore just cleared to make a play or two.

I would LOVE to see us move out of this 3-5 that we have been running. It gives the offense way too much ground upfront to start with. Personally, I don't think we blitz out of the current alignment enough either. Maybe a 4-4 or even a 5-3 would help?

I would LOVE to see us move out of this 3-5 that we have been running. It gives the offense way too much ground upfront to start with. Personally, I don't think we blitz out of the current alignment enough either. Maybe a 4-4 or even a 5-3 would help?

You shouldn't have to "blitz" if you are running the 3-5 and LBers are reading their keys correctly. But maybe a 3-5 isn't the best choice of defense for this birds team if they don't have the correct personnel.

You shouldn't have to "blitz" if you are running the 3-5 and LBers are reading their keys correctly. But maybe a 3-5 isn't the best choice of defense for this birds team if they don't have the correct personnel.

If you're not getting penetration from your lineman, you have to blitz to shake something up. It's pretty easy for 4-6 Olinemen to block 3 D linemen. We are too small upfront and get crushed in the running game to continue this.

If you're not getting penetration from your lineman, you have to blitz to shake something up. It's pretty easy for 4-6 Olinemen to block 3 D linemen. We are too small upfront and get crushed in the running game to continue this.

Especially when your linebackers are sophomore reserves ... expect to see four on the line this week