Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield 49 Hopkinsville 20

Featured Replies

Shot ourself in the foot so many times tonight. I thought we were a little flat most of the first half, but we finally got a little momentum going. I think we are a little ahead of where I thought we would be at this point. So many weapons on this squad.

I agree. I do think we have lots of weapons. I like how our defense flies to the ball. If we can continue to improve each week I think we will be in the hunt come end of season. I like these group of boys.

Kudos to the grit of Hville's qb. Young man took a ton of shots, but refused to tap-out. Credit also to Hville's defensive scheme against MF's screen game. Did a real good job of creating traffic in the flats and taking that phase away early. Pretty ugly game with the penalties and turnovers, but hidden between those is the reality that this MF squad has the potential to be pretty darn good. MF has to clean-up the penalties and do a better job covering kicks. A legit return man could have easily taken a couple of those kick-offs to the house. PT appears to be pretty stout, especially defensively, so we should learn more next week.

  • Author

Highlights for Mayfield

1) Run defense - For the 2nd week in a row, Mayfield's run defense looked tremendous. There team speed is outstanding on that side of the ball and they fly to the ball..

2) Pass Protection - Again this week, the Cards QBs had all day to find there receivers and haven't given up a sack all year..

3) Offensive Weapons - Guthrie, Halliburton, Mathews all looked good running the ball and they have so many receivers to throw it too, makes it extremely difficult to key on any particular scheme..

4) Kicking Game - A concern coming in to the season and even a couple of issues last week, but, the Cards kicker was 7 for 7 on PATs tonight, so, hopefully, they've put those concerns to rests..

 

Lowlights for Mayfield

1) Penalties - Called for 11 penalties on the night.. Gotta clean those up to be as good as they can and want to be..

2) Turnovers - Cards gave up 2 picks, one a pick 6, had 2 fumbles and had a punt blocked.. 5 turnovers against quality opponents won't get it done..

3) Kick Coverage - Hop'Town, as was the case last week vs Union City, had several KO returns resulting in excellent field position.. I recall at least 3 to 4 times in the last 2 weeks, where there opponent started in Cardinal territory.. Your better teams will make you pay..

A comment on low points MHS mentioned. The picks were bad but a sophomore is going to make mistakes and he seemed to have learned a lesson from the first one. I think that first pick was more on the coach than him.

Penalties, last week with 8 refs hardly any. Last night a ton and several were questionable. I think that was one of the worst officiated games I have watch in a long time. What wasn't called was worse than what was. I think we will be fine as long as we don't get that crew again. It's a shame our refs are this poor. We need more and we need to get them better training

Christian County had the first game and I'd have to agree with the refs. I know it's early but how do you miss 12 men on the field on consecutive plays? Ijs

Mayfield is only going to get better.

 

True statement right there. Crazy thing is, I think they are better right now than most folks realize. Lol, maybe they will crack the top five in 2a after all.

What do the Mayfield faithful think about this win? At first glance, a 29 point win over 4A #6 Hopkinsville looks like a strong performance. But considering the personnel losses that the Tigers have suffered in the past couple of weeks, is this really as big a win as it looks on paper? Genuinely curious.

What do the Mayfield faithful think about this win? At first glance, a 29 point win over 4A #6 Hopkinsville looks like a strong performance. But considering the personnel losses that the Tigers have suffered in the past couple of weeks, is this really as big a win as it looks on paper? Genuinely curious.

Just a nice win. A stepping stone. No surprise at all. We might even be a top 5 team in 2A.

its a WHOLE lot better for us than beating the stuffing out of Marshall Co...which has been our second game in the recent past

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.