Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Will the Reds Draft The Top High School Player?

Featured Replies

  • Author

Not sure how this 2nd thread was started. Can we delete it?

So the Twins may pass on him?

 

After reading that article, I don't know why they would...

After reading that article, I don't know why they would...

 

After looking at some mock drafts it seems like they may be targeting McKay from Louisville with the #1 pick.

One rumor is that Greene has been tanking it the last few weeks hoping to fall to #3 and the Padres.

McKay is the real deal and I fully expect him to be the 1st pick.

  • Author
One rumor is that Greene has been tanking it the last few weeks hoping to fall to #3 and the Padres.

 

Way too late for that.

  • Author
So the Twins may pass on him?

 

 

McKay is probably closer to MLB so that could be a factor.

RHP could be a factor.

High school pitcher could be a factor.

Way too late for that.

 

That's what I figured, I read that he could threaten not to sign if drafted by the Reds. If I'm the Reds I call his bluff and draft him.

McKay is the real deal and I fully expect him to be the 1st pick.

 

He had an ok day today, 4 HR's and 9 RBI's.

That's what I figured, I read that he could threaten not to sign if drafted by the Reds. If I'm the Reds I call his bluff and draft him.

 

You have to. It would be awfully hard to pass up the kind of money you're going to get as the #2 pick, plus there's no guarantee the Padres would be able to get you in 3 years.

Greene wants to play for the Padres. He's pretty much shut down his pitching for the year and is supposedly letting teams (Twins & Reds) know he doesn't want to be selected.

 

The Reds are in love with McKay. While most like him most as a P, the Reds are said to like him equally as well as a 1B or corner OF.

 

As of today, I'm hopeful they go McKay and I think he's the safest pick whether it be as a P or position player.

 

JB Bukauskas (RHP) from UNC and Jeren Kendall (OF) of Vandy are also possible targets.

I know the signability pool rules for MLB (slots, total amount, etc.) are pretty crazy. Is there any difference from a $ signing a HS kid v. a college player? It may not matter at the VERY top of the draft.

 

I am pretty sure if you draft a HS kid and he goes JUCO or D1 instead of signing that the team that drafted him only gets a "sandwich pick" or something similar, so it would be a pretty high risk move if you're not sure you can sign him.

 

Would love to see McKay picked by Cincinnati. I'd let him do both for a year or 2 in the minors until one side emerges. Even if he goes P (which is logical since he is LHP and has filthy stuff), having an offensive side in the NL can be pretty valuable (Bumgarner, Lorenzen, Leake, Colon, etc.).

Has there been a modern day equivalent of Brendan McCay? Obviously there is the John Olerud award for two way players, and often top high school talents have .500+ batting averages and pitch at the same time, but this is McCay's third year hitting and pitching at the highest college level on CWS caliber teams. It is amazing to me that he is virtually guaranteed to be a top 2-3 pick and teams don't know whether he will pitch or hit.

 

I believe Mike Leake used to move to first base when Ike Davis would pitch for Arizona State, and we all know he can hit in the majors, but is there any chance a think outside the box type of team could try platooning McCay? Let him play 1B when not pitching, or come in relief to pitch an inning or two on occasion. Is that too much of an ask to potentially not reach his potential at either by limiting practice and instruction?

 

I've also often wondered if the team that drafts him would more him to a corner outfield position. Obviously he has the arm, and while his power has been increasing each year, he isn't necessarily the build of an old-school power hitting first baseman. A lot of people seem to think he would do best on an NL team so he could hit every fifth day, but any chance he could DH in the AL? I realize it isn't a guarantee that any player even makes the League, let alone stars, that's obviously the team's expectation if drafting one or two. I haven't the slightest idea what I would do if I drafted him, but I am certainly interested in following his development.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.