NKY Power Ranking - Offseason Discussion

I can get behind this...personally, I think they'll be very similar to last year with the exception that Cov. Cath won't let them score 26 this year and may score 100.

I say this because of what I have always said about Highlands...they're terrible on Defense...Now though, in addition to this, they can't score.

I realize that this isn't a thread about Highlands, nor do I want to turn another one into a thread about Highlands, but what all are they losing off of their team from last year? I know they lose the QB and a couple skill players, but what else?

I think Cov Cath, SK, and Ryle will prove to be the top teams pre-season as they return the most from last year and were all very good last year. The big question for Ryle will be, who is their gun slinger next year. For SK it will be who do they have to run and catch the ball, and how do they replace some of their better defensive players that are gone. CovCath seems to be set up very nicely for next year! I may have CovCath as pre-season #1 just because of the unknown at QB for Ryle. Chisolm is an absolute monster and behind most of their line returning, they will be solid on O again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get behind this...personally, I think they'll be very similar to last year with the exception that Cov. Cath won't let them score 26 this year and may score 100.

I say this because of what I have always said about Highlands...they're terrible on Defense...Now though, in addition to this, they can't score.

The offense averaged 33 points per game last year and put up 50 or more points in 3 games including 53 on the almighty SK defense. I'm comfortable thinking that average will be about the same this year.

There have probably only been a handful of Highlands teams where the defense carried the team. I believe the philosophy is bend don't break. Obviously the last couple of years have been challenging. I also believe the next few years we will see an uptick in talent and depth and Highlands will be back to competing for state titles. Highlands will certainly win another state title before SK even gets a sniff of the 6A title.

Good luck to your team.

I'll take that avatar challenge for the CovCath game. No way CovCath scores anywhere near 100 and Highlands will score 26 or more. Deal?

Hope these comments warrant another dislike.

I look for big things from Covington Catholic this season. Even though they lost at a very athletic Fern Creek squad last year, they had some really good pieces that to my understanding all come back this year. QB Mayer was a player.

PLUS, the "cross-bracketing" shenanigans swings back this year with the winner of District 5 swimming in calmer East 5A waters all the way to WKU. Look out for the Colonels this season!

PLUS, the "cross-bracketing" shenanigans swings back this year with the winner of District 5 swimming in calmer East 5A waters all the way to WKU. Look out for the Colonels this season!

I apologize, I was mistaken on this part. District 5 will be paired with District 3 (South Oldham) in Region 2 this year (2017) and participate in the West side of the Bracket, but would only face Region 1 opponents at the Semi-State Level. Sorry for the oversight...

In recent years, yes terrible on defense. Not always.

I think that Beechwood will probably be a little higher on the list next year as they have most of their team returning, I believe. I think they will be ahead of Conner and Cooper at the start of the year. Cooper loses a decent amount, and I believe Conner does as well. I am guessing Highlands will be a little higher on the list as well. My guess:

1.) Ryle

2.) SK

3.) CovCath

4.) Beechwood

5.) Highlands

6.) Conner

7.) Cooper

8.) Campbell County

9.) Dixie

10.) NewCath

I would agree. Cooper loses a lot and once again has to find a QB. The best thing Cooper has going for them is their coach. He's performed minor miracles in the past, lets see if he can do it again.

I realize that this isn't a thread about Highlands, nor do I want to turn another one into a thread about Highlands, but what all are they losing off of their team from last year? I know they lose the QB and a couple skill players, but what else?

I think Cov Cath, SK, and Ryle will prove to be the top teams pre-season as they return the most from last year and were all very good last year. The big question for Ryle will be, who is their gun slinger next year. For SK it will be who do they have to run and catch the ball, and how do they replace some of their better defensive players that are gone. CovCath seems to be set up very nicely for next year! I may have CovCath as pre-season #1 just because of the unknown at QB for Ryle. Chisolm is an absolute monster and behind most of their line returning, they will be solid on O again.

SK returns Murray and Hayden at WR they had good Junior years. Sergent and Parks will run the ball. SK is loaded on offense. SK will bw fine on defense.

SK returns Murray and Hayden at WR they had good Junior years. Sergent and Parks will run the ball. SK is loaded on offense. SK will bw fine on defense.

I expected this answer from you, but I would like to hear from someone that doesn't think that SK can beat the New England Patriots. Lol.

1. SK

2. Ryle

3. CovCath

4. Campbell County

5. Beechwood

6. Highlands

7. Conneer

8. Cooper

9. NewCath

10. Dixie

Only 4 spots separate Beechwood and SK in your poll. How happy are the Neer faithful that a 1A team is on the schedule this year?

Cov Cath worries me this a bit year. Could be above average, could be really good.

Missed opportunity to improve the schedule

The last time BW and SK played the Neers escaped with a last quarter score. The year before BW layed a 28-0 spanking on SK. If this year's game is close or BW gets the win (it could happen....it has before) I am curious as to what missed opportunities there will be.

The last time BW and SK played the Neers escaped with a last quarter score. The year before BW layed a 28-0 spanking on SK. If this year's game is close or BW gets the win (it could happen....it has before) I am curious as to what missed opportunities there will be.

Beechwood is solid on both sides of the ball this year. Beechwood handles 2A teams pretty easy. They have also gave Conner all they wanted.

Beechwood is solid on both sides of the ball this year. Beechwood handles 2A teams pretty easy. They have also gave Conner all they wanted.

Conner is always in a controlled scrimmage but they are competitive none the less. Every once in awhile BW can handle the larger classes if they have some depth and that varies year to year with a 1A school. Should be a fun match-up with SK.