Are the Bengals going into full rebuild mode?

@voiceofreason to be fair if you look at the best and most consistent franchises. They rarely pay top dollar, especially biggest contracts ever to keep guys. Packers don't, Patriots get rid of them before they have to get that huge deal usually, and even the Steelers usually don't in its history.

So I do think the Bengals actually have the right idea on building a team that could be successful year after year. Their problem now lies in the fact that they have a coach that I feel like the players like but don't respond to as much anymore. Things have gotten stale, and need a jump start.

Out of all the guys that left. Their two big miss ups were Marvin Jones. Which I think their mess up there was not realizing his desire to be more of the guy. Then with Zeitler they should have franchised tagged him. They messed up by not doing that, and allowing him to get on the market where a team that was 100 million under the salary cap like the Browns could offer him a contract like that. So I do agree they messed up with Zeitler. He should have been franchised tagged.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am know I am in the minority, but I would not have paid Marvin Jones the money he got. I agree on Zeitler. I would much rather pay Zeitler big money than Marvin Jones.

As to players not liking Marvin, why do players keep coming back to play again for the Bengals? Maybe the Bengals are the only ones who want Michael Johnson, Pat Sims, Andre Smith, Gilberry? Smith supposedly was being pursued hard by the Bills but chose Marvin and the Bengals.

I am know I am in the minority, but I would not have paid Marvin Jones the money he got. I agree on Zeitler. I would much rather pay Zeitler big money than Marvin Jones.

As to players not liking Marvin, why do players keep coming back to play again for the Bengals? Maybe the Bengals are the only ones who want Michael Johnson, Pat Sims, Andre Smith, Gilberry? Smith supposedly was being pursued hard by the Bills but chose Marvin and the Bengals.

Never said they didn't like him. I have even said players like him, but just cause a player likes Marvin doesn't mean players don't want change after the same thing over and over again hasn't worked. They come back because they didn't perform well elsewhere and they know Marvin would take them back.

As for Marvin Jones I think we saw the effect of not having him had. We lost that other deep threat and red zone target. Teams made us put long drives together and we couldn't do it. I would rather have paid him his 10 million a year. Than pay a guard 12 million a year with 31 million guaranteed. So we saw first hand not having him hurt the dynamic of the offense. Both years Marvin Jones played all year the Bengals were a top 10 passing offense. 2014 and 2016 without him, not so good.

We will see during this season the effect losing Zeitler had or didn't have on the success of this offense.

I don't see Jones as a red zone target. He's had one season with more than 4 TD's. LaFell had 6 TD's this year. I agree that Jones' speed helped stretch the defense and that was missed. But the Bengals offense had more yards in 2016 without Jones than they did in 2015 with him.

Peko, Whitworth, Zeitler, Dansby, Burkhead, Roach and Wright are gone that 7 roster spots you have to fill definitely rebuilding.

That have a lot of draft picks this year. Should be interesting to see their priority on filling them.

I don't see Jones as a red zone target. He's had one season with more than 4 TD's. LaFell had 6 TD's this year. I agree that Jones' speed helped stretch the defense and that was missed. But the Bengals offense had more yards in 2016 without Jones than they did in 2015 with him.

That was the problem with the offense last year. They couldn't score. I'll take the more points scores in 2015 even with a backup qb playing the last 4 games, and you can take the more yards.

Now the one concern I can understand with Jones is he was injury prone. He didn't play half his rookie year due to injury, and didn't play at all in 2014. The 2 years he did play the Bengals were a top 10 offense. 2013 he has double digit Tds. So in his 2 full years playing he averaged 7 TDS a year. I would say that is a good red zone target.

At the end of the day the 2 years he played Dalton and the offense has their best years. It wasn't only cause of him, but he opened up this offense more.

Peko, Whitworth, Zeitler, Dansby, Burkhead, Roach and Wright are gone that 7 roster spots you have to fill definitely rebuilding.

Why do you keep putting Roach in there. That didn't hurt them at all. Cutting James Wright doesn't hurt them at all. Losing Peko so a younger more talented player plays doesn't hurt them at all. Losing Dansby he lost a lot of steps doesn't hurt them at all.

The two that hurt are losing Whit and Zeitler. With that said they were terrible on the line with them anyways. At the end of the day if will come down to the young tackles playing well. If whoever would have won the RT spot sucked. Then we would have still been bad on the line while paying huge money to two guys while the line was still bad.

I will say this, you are FAR more concerned with the day-to-day happenings of the Bengals than I am of the Steelers. Heck, you're actually far more concerned with the day-to-day happenings of the Bengals than I am of the...Bengals. What gives? You should be celebrating these apparent back-slidings, but yet, you seem genuinely bothered by them.

I will say this, you are FAR more concerned with the day-to-day happenings of the Bengals than I am of the Steelers. Heck, you're actually far more concerned with the day-to-day happenings of the Bengals than I am of the...Bengals. What gives? You should be celebrating these apparent back-slidings, but yet, you seem genuinely bothered by them.

Even since the Bengal Cheerleader broke up with him hes had nothing better to do.

I am cracking up Brown and Marvin don't know how to manage a team.

Imo I don't think fans have any clue on what to do or how to build a team, me included lol. When you look at the Reds people talk about how they screwed up giving big contracts to guys and keeping older guys for to long. With the Bengals when they don't give richest contract deals to people like a guard people complain. When the Bengals are doing the opposite of what the Reds did by still trying to contend while at the same time hitting the refresh button and getting younger. People complain about that, but they wished the Reds had done that sooner.

Take Adam Jones he was rated one of best corners in football 2 years ago, last year he took a step back and people say they were dumb to sign him. People say they shouldn't have let Whit go, but if they signed him back for a decent deal and he finally takes a step back next year people would say it was dumb to sign him.

At the end of the day, if a move doesn't work fans are going to complain like they knew all along it was dumb. When in reality us fans have no clue either, and so much simpler to say and act like we know best after the fact.