Bengals re-sign Dre Kirkpatrick

Do you watch a lot of corners in the NFL? While he is not an elite corner, there are a lot of corners in the NFL he is better than because he has gotten better. Plus with the whole Adam Jones situation, the Bengals basically had no choice but to make sure they locked him up. So it was a no brainer.

The three years Dre has been a starter or played a lot. The Bengals defense have been in the top 5 in the NFL in holding QB's to the lowest QB ratings in the NFL. They finished 11th in the NFL last year in total passing defense, and they have been in the top 5 in interceptions in the NFL for the last 3 years.

At the end of the day the Bengals secondary may not be great. However we still have it better than most teams in the NFL. It just seems worst than it is, because we see every Bengals game. We don't see every game of every other team, to realize how much worst it truly could be in the secondary.

I watched the Steelers throw at him on 8 of 11 passes. Even when Brown wasn't over there, they threw at him or his zone. That should tell you more than any metric. If your divisional opponent doesn't respect you to the tune of throwing at you on almost every play....well, yeah, it isn't a no brainer. He is better off, for his style, going to the Seahawks. The Bengals have a more pressing needs on the OLine.

I watched the Steelers throw at him on 8 of 11 passes. Even when Brown wasn't over there, they threw at him or his zone. That should tell you more than any metric. If your divisional opponent doesn't respect you to the tune of throwing at you on almost every play....well, yeah, it isn't a no brainer. He is better off, for his style, going to the Seahawks. The Bengals have a more pressing needs on the OLine.

The line was going to be a pressing need no matter what. The line no matter what was going to depend on the play of the young guys, even if they kept Zeitler. If they would have let Dre walk, then the Secondary also would have became a pressing need as well. While the Secondary still needs more depth, its not completely a pressing need. Without signing Dre, the Secondary like the line would have been a pressing need too. So yes it was a no brainer to sign him. Especially when they can get out of his contract for cheap after the first 2 years if he doesn't keep improving.

The oline was was awful last year. Paying big money top guard pay to anyone on last year's line would have been foolish.

The oline was was awful last year. Paying big money top guard pay to anyone on last year's line would have been foolish.

Honestly I think Andre Smith is going to fill in very nicely at guard for us. IMO he is built to be a very good guard with his skill set. At the end of the day it will come down to our young tackles. Which would have been the case even if they had signed Zeitler back. So I completely agree with you.

We agree there. My thought process is that we need 5 new linemen. Once Whit and Zeitler left, the others needed to go. That $10/per would be much better used going towards those 5.

I'm not a huge Kirkpatrick fan but I have no problem with the deal at all. It seems like a lot of money for Dre, but as the article states, it'll pale in comparison to the contracts other similarly situated DB's sign over the next 1-3 seasons. Plus, the guaranteed money is reasonable.

I like Dre, I think he has improved as a Pro, but I still think he is suspect in coverage.

We agree there. My thought process is that we need 5 new linemen. Once Whit and Zeitler left, the others needed to go. That $10/per would be much better used going towards those 5.

To be fair we habe no idea on either of the young tackles. Ced has never had a full off season, plus he will be on his natural side on the left. Fisher looked decent the last few games, and now will habe a full off season of only working at RT instead of Tackle, Guard, TE, and Fullback. All spots he has played his first 2 years. So definitely to early to say they can't cut it.

Now Bodine, no excuse there they need someone better at Center.

To be fair we habe no idea on either of the young tackles. Ced has never had a full off season, plus he will be on his natural side on the left. Fisher looked decent the last few games, and now will habe a full off season of only working at RT instead of Tackle, Guard, TE, and Fullback. All spots he has played his first 2 years. So definitely to early to say they can't cut it.

Now Bodine, no excuse there they need someone better at Center.

You think that Ced is going to fare better on the Left than the Right? I have very big concerns on that, enough that they need to bring an average left tackle in just in case. His footwork was AWFUL last year.

You think that Ced is going to fare better on the Left than the Right? I have very big concerns on that, enough that they need to bring an average left tackle in just in case. His footwork was AWFUL last year.
Rollerskates

Agreed his footwork was horrible on the right side. It's different steps from the left side, with a different leg doing the strong post in the pass protection and a different hand. Some really do struggle when having to do opposite technique. He was a first round pick as a LT not a RT.

It doesn't mean he won't suck at the LT spot too. However I do think it's to early to say for sure he doesn't have it. With having his first full off season to work on technique more and being on his natural side. I do think he will be better. How much better is the question.