Collins 54 Anderson County 53 (8th Region Championship)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow just wow what a game. Though we came up on the losing end it was a heck of a region final. Two evenly-matched teams giving their all on the floor. Game was close throughout and could have gone either way. Had Anderson secured a defensive rebound in the final seconds they walk off as winners. Unfortunately that did not happen., Collins hits their free throws and AC misses a layup at the buzzer that looked good all the way, till it wasn't. Great game by both teams and congrats to Collins on the hard fought win.

That stuff's gonna happen sometimes between district rivals, especially when they meet up in region finals. Bigger crowds, louder student sections, etc.

Making excuses for bad behavior sends the message that it's acceptable. It isn't.

Making excuses for bad behavior sends the message that it's acceptable. It isn't.

Maybe so. Those guys probably got wore out by those kids in the student section all night. In that light, I can see it. Not saying it's right, but they certainly wouldn't be the first to react that way.

Short of direct threats of and/or actual physical violence, those things usually get taken care of quickly by coaches/school administrators.

Whew! What a game this was! One of the best I've seen all yr. Hated to see either team lose but thats the name of the game. Back and forth lead changes. Both Penny and Dom made huge free throws in last minute to put their team up 1. One thing I will say is the refs let the kids play in the first 3 quarters almost to the point where Dom might have rolled his ankle (but it was not being called for either team) and the 4th and final quarter the refs would call touch fouls. Penny hit 2 free throws with 18 seconds left (I believe) and Dom hit 2 free throws to put Collins up 1 with 5 seconds left. Penny drives the ball and gets to the rim in plenty of time for a contested lay up and it banks, hits the rim, and bounces out. What a classic game!i was very impressed with the freshman pg (#20) from Collins. He went head to head with Penny, was not intimidated, and held his own. The taunting @ the end of the game I saw clearly. A couple Collins kids went over towards the Anderson student section and waved bye within feet of the Anderson kids who just lost. I understand they're just kids and it didn't take away from a great game but you really don't want to see tha. On a positive note as I was leaving the Collins coach is running up to the top row crying to hug his wife and son. Meanwhile the Anderson coach is sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. That's what it all means in a nutshell. Both coaches were giving everything they had on the sidelines. A pretty cool moment. After 2 runner up finishes @ the region I have a feeling A.C. will be back to avenge some demons next yr. with, who should be pre season POY, Penny back. Did I mention it was a great game?!?! Wow

I love how we sit back and think kids (they ARE kids) will just take constant abuse from other kids and adults and always react perfectly. I'm sure that never happened back in the good old days when basketball was pure as snow. They waved to someone? Oh goodness. I sure hope the poor people waved to can sleep tonight. Don't bother responding. I couldn't care less about anyone's explanation of this abominable behavior.

I love how we sit back and think kids (they ARE kids) will just take constant abuse from other kids and adults and always react perfectly. I'm sure that never happened back in the good old days when basketball was pure as snow. They waved to someone? Oh goodness. I sure hope the poor people waved to can sleep tonight. Don't bother responding. I couldn't care less about anyone's explanation of this abominable behavior.

Agreed. Pretty small potatoes.

Unfortunate display by the Collins players on the court after the game. Kind of ruins the moment.

I heard a couple of Collins players taunted the Anderson Co. student section.

From my view in the end zone I really didn't see anything bad. I say it was taunting, but nothing I would call them out on.

My only thought was I would rather be celebrating with my teammates than worry about opposing fans.

Two of the players clutched their throats towards the AC student section. They should have been more excited about celebrating with their teammates and fans then taunting others.

I wouldn't call it horrible, but it was definitely noticeable and in poor taste and as a coach I would have been perturbed by it and given the kids a tongue lashing once in the locker room. As Iceman said above, they should have been more focused on getting over and celebrating with their teammates after a huge win than taking the time to stop and taunt the student section.

With that said I don't think it detracted by any great measure from the game/win, but definitely not a good look to end things on.

There's something I can agree with. Let those responsible for handling things, handle things. I'll bet all the adults in the stands were perfect examples of decorum last night too, lest we forget where our kids learn behaviors. Let's definitely blog about this and tell the kids what they "should" do in a public forum (as if anyone doesn't know what they "should" do). Hopefully, we will be investing such energy into their academics and post-high school/college lives.

They waved bye that's it! I never saw a throat slash! You can't tell me Garmon wouldn't have done the same thing if not worse.

Ummm...that's pretty bad form there radio calling out a kid by name who DIDN'T do anything and speculating that if the tables were turned that he would have done the same. You don't know that as fact by any measure. And, were the tables turned and an Anderson kid had done something similar I would be the first to say it's uncalled for and in bad taste. It's uncalled for and in bad taste when ANY kid does it.

Ok maybe you're right on Garmon. I shouldn't have called him out but I've seen him play enough to form my opinion. So 2 Collins kids waved bye! How dare them!

I think it was a tad more than that, but, like I said nothing earth shattering but it can be done without. And one of the kids who did it sat behind me and another AC fan during our game with SO. We had a short, pleasant interaction with the young man and seems like a pretty good kid so I'm sure the emotion of the game probably got to him a little, which can happen.

I think the emotions ran high on both sides. But they couldn't help it the Refs didn't call anything in the first half. You could slap and push and no calls. A total of 5 fouls called 2 on Collins and 3 on Anderson. I still don't think the bald headed official called a foul the entire night. It's really a credit to both sides that nothing happened.