Mason County vs Bracken County 39th District Championship Predictions

Who wins?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have said from day one that Jones and Engnes will be the keys to Bracken's postseason journey. AC brings it every night, but in almost every impressive win this year, the muscle on the boards and putbacks of missed shots have been major. Primary example was Tues night against an outmanned St. Pats that came to play. BC won that game on the backs of the Polar Bear bigs. This same kind of effort will be needed against Mason, who despite their year-long soap opera season have the manpower to bang in the paint. Good game and is Bracken's to lose. BC by 6.

As a Polar Bear supporter in all games except against Panthers, I think reality for BC fans is to understand the Bears are very weak in all aspects as shooters. Against St. Pat they shot a weak 42.4% from the floor; a pathetic 18.2% from 3; and a terrible 48.5% from the line. That all still ended in victory because of the strong work underneath with Engnes having 18pts (16 from the floor on only 12 atts for a strong 1.33 scoring efficiency) and 6 rebs; Jones with 18pts (16 from the floor on only 14 atts for a solid 1.14 scoring efficiency) and a beastly 11 rebs. Both outputs, offsetting an offensive off night by Crawford with 14 points (10 from the floor on 16 atts for a 0.63 scoring efficiency), but a huge 10 rebs.

I point these stats out, because there has been a huge misread by many loyalists on how BC goes deep in the postseason. Season stats evidence BC is an inferior shooting team when the ball doesn't get to the paint. As a team they have shot a weak 42.4% from the field; an unarguably poor 28.9% from 3; and a horrible 62.6% from the line. The winning game strategy against BC appears to pack it in tight and let them fire from range. Stop AC's penetration even if you foul him. Too, often during the season AC's driving mesmerized a lot of the Polar Bears into watching him. I think Coach Hinson appears to finally having everyone on the same page.

All of this IMO from a very old Polar Bear fan tells me, BC has to ground and pound the ball inside and the bigs have to fight for every possession. Yes, they may outscore some 10th Region teams, but to go far they have to play big D.

I still believe Bracken will win this game, they are better fundamentally, defensively, and more disciplined than the Royals. I've seen MaCo become a very selfish basketball team and if Biggs lets them play 1v5 tonight it will be a very long night for the Royals. The key for the Royals will be sharing the ball and staying disciplined on defense, if they do that I can see them winning the game, but if not I see a Polar Bear victory by 10+.

Hopefully officiating won't help dictate the outcome of this game and both teams play to their potential. :ylsuper:

I feel like something that is getting lost in the midst of all of this is how big of a game this is for Jason Hinson.

At Augusta he won two District Championships with a great player (Bach) and less overall talent on the team as the "Big Three" (Maddox, Snapp, and Crawford) weren't really developed yet during those two years. Those two Augusta teams were weaker top to bottom than this years Bracken team and beat very solid Mason County teams two years in a row.

So if Hinson doesn't win this game does it change the perception from he was a great coach at Augusta who made history with a mediocre team to he was an average coach at Augusta who was made who he is by one of the, if not best, to ever play in an Augusta jersey? Because let's face it, Mason County isn't going/can't go much more downhill from where they are now, and Bracken County isn't going get much better than where they are now.

I feel like something that is getting lost in the midst of all of this is how big of a game this is for Jason Hinson.

At Augusta he won two District Championships with a great player (Bach) and less overall talent on the team as the "Big Three" (Maddox, Snapp, and Crawford) weren't really developed yet during those two years. Those two Augusta teams were weaker top to bottom than this years Bracken team and beat very solid Mason County teams two years in a row.

So if Hinson doesn't win this game does it change the perception from he was a great coach at Augusta who made history with a mediocre team to he was an average coach at Augusta who was made who he is by one of the, if not best, to ever play in an Augusta jersey? Because let's face it, Mason County isn't going/can't go much more downhill from where they are now, and Bracken County isn't going get much better than where they are now.

Whoa now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. If you haven't noticed, I am as big of a Coach Hinson fan as anybody. I think he wins championships at Augusta even without Bach because he is a difference maker on the court. The same way I think he will win tonight even if Austin miraculously doesnt get in double digits. Just look at the level he has Brady playing at right now, where was that before the Hinson era?

Whether he wins, loses, or draws tonight, can't take away what the guy has done! Not his fault he's had arguably best player in the region most of his years as a coach and his perception shouldnt be taken down because of it.:ylsuper:

Whoa now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. If you haven't noticed, I am as big of a Coach Hinson fan as anybody. I think he wins championships at Augusta even without Bach because he is a difference maker on the court. The same way I think he will win tonight even if Austin miraculously doesnt get in double digits. Just look at the level he has Brady playing at right now, where was that before the Hinson era?

Whether he wins, loses, or draws tonight, can't take away what the guy has done! Not his fault he's had arguably best player in the region most of his years as a coach and his perception shouldnt be taken down because of it.:ylsuper:

The year he didn't have the best player Mason Co. beat Augusta 77-44 in the District Championship, so his record isn't very good against good competition without a star player.

And just for the record, Austin Crawford is no Brent Bach.

The 10th region doesn't know who Jason Hinson is without Brent Bach. End of story.