Scrimmage List

I attended the Hoopfest at Scott County High school. Weren't much talent there. Simon Kenton beat Manual first half 31 to 24 and Manual beat them second half 25 to 19. Niece and Harney didn't play. Harney isn't cleared to play as of yet and Niece had a slight concussion from practice last Thursday. The guard, Jones had a really good game.

Etown played well. Stinson will hard to contain this year.

The Valkyries scrimmaged Ryle and showed some reasons why they will be a contender to win the 7th region.

The addition of some talented Freshman will give them the depth to play a pressure style defense causing turnovers that can be converted to easy baskets. Really liked the speed of this team. Toller is going to be a beast in the backcourt along with Clemons in the post. Love those volleyball players with basketball skills because she instinctively blocks shots with out fouling because she blocks the ball with her hands straight up like blocking a volleyball at the net.

The Valkyries can go 9-10 deep which should pay huge dividends this year.

The veteran players look much stronger and confident this year. Kia Sivils the recent Marshall commit is as fast and athletic as anyone in the state.

Ryle didn't have a deep team and had to rely on their quality guards. They struggled to make shots in this game, but you can tell they will get better as the season progresses. The guards were skilled with the ball and had good basketball skills. The downside is they were also the taller players on the team. Unless they had some post players missing in this game, they will struggle in the paint against teams with post players.

I'll copy and post this here from the Mason County thread:

Quote Originally Posted by sumoroyal View Post

Mason defeated Scott Co. in their first scrimmage last night 46-41 at Harrison Co.

Unofficially...

O'Mara - 9 (hit 2 clutch buckets at end)

Littleton - 6

McNutt - 2

Frodge - 6

Boone - 6

Moran - 7

Butler - 6

Simms - 2

Brooks - 2

Scott County won 1st half by 2 and Mason County won the 2nd half and overall. Owens girl from Scott County can really play. I think she had around 18 - 20 of their points. Scott County hit 8 threes (many of them very deep by Owens). Mason couldn't get the outside shot to fall...only 1 three out of about 10 attempts. Mason's defense stepped it up in the 2nd half and created a lot of Scott County turnovers.

Mercy vs. Nelson County game at Bullitt East:

I think Mercy won but really not sure. They were up by 15 or so early in the first half and subbed in several young players and Nelson ended up winning the half. Mercy won the 2nd half handily. In any event, the Mercy coaches don't care at all about scrimmage scores. I honestly don't think they've won a preseason scrimmage in the past 4 years (unless they won this one). So now that you know that score is irrelevant, here are my observations:

-- Elizabeth Anderson seems to have recovered from the knee injuries (fingers crossed). She played under control and looked better than ever. She didn't play a ton of minutes, but was very good while out there.

-- Nelson's guards were very impressive. They basically played the entire game and never seemed winded. They both can score and are tremendous on the defensive end. If they had any size at all, they would make some noise this year.

-- Mercy had 39 turnovers in this game.... and I think they still won. If they take care of the ball, which I think they will, they will be very good.