Netflix "The Crown"

Clyde

What's this about? Haven't seen anything about it yet.

It's a Netflix original series about the beginning of Queen Elizabeth II's reign. Begins in the last months of King George VI's life. I'm currently 4 episodes in...and I've found the continued aspect of English royal old-guard versus new-guard to be very intriguing. England's global empire is coming to its end. An ailing George VI trying to prepare his family for his death and his daughter for her reign as Queen of England. You've got Winston Churchill trying to hang on to his office as Prime Minister in his old age, Edward Duke of Windsor (who abdicated the throne to George VI) trying to fight for royal money and recognition, Mary of Teck still hanging around trying to kick in her will and nuggets of wisdom from the more traditional monarchical life...

Among other things, it never occurred to me that there were ever three Queen's alive at one time in England. QEII may have been the only reigning Queen, but her mother Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon and grandmother Mary of Teck were also both on the scene at the same time.

Very interesting. I think you'd dig it.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...