Mayfield - 2016 version vs past Cardinal teams

MHSCardinal

How does this years version of the Cardinals compare to some of the other recent Cardinal teams? Better? Worse?

What does this years team have that some of the past teams didn't?

What would be this years Achilles heel/weakness that may cause them to falter in playoffs?

Let's limit the comparisons to the 2002 team forward. Too hard to compare teams from different eras..

This years offense is elite, the only other team that compares would be the 15-0 2010 squad. If the defense would allow a few less points it would be my vote for a tie with 2010 and 2002, both undefeated squads, for the best. I am uncertain who I would pick between those as the best. This years team has the best run/pass combo possibly ever with elite QB in Arnett, elite RB in Bright and a group of wide outs that can all take it to the house. This is the best group of receivers as a whole as we have ever had and all can will and do hurt opponents.

At this point the defense has given up to many points despite being an extremely good D. This puzzles me, but they stepped it up last night in the second half.

As for a Achilles heel/weakness, we have not put teams away after building commanding leads. McCracken, Tilghman and Corbin were all on the verge of having running clocks put on them and we just let all 3 come back. No idea why, but we did and that could cost us if we did that again in the playoffs but I don't see that happening

Here's some interesting stats from all the Cardinal teams who made the State Championship game since 2000. These are just regular season stats, since this years team has yet to play a playoff game:

Yr Record Pts scored Pts against #Shutouts # Given -7 Margin of victory

02 10-0 333 74 2 7 25.9

05 7-3 342 115 3 6 20.7

09 9-1 395 147 2 3 24.8

10 10-0 515 92 3 6 42.3

11 10-0 401 62 2 8 33.9

12 9-1 472 161 1 4 31.1

13 9-1 460 212 2 2 24.8

14 9-1 388 95 4 6 29.3

15 9-1 393 123 3 4 27.0

16 10-0 485 156 3 5 32.9

We have NO weakness, that should keep Snake off my back.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This made me laugh!!!

I don't pretend to know Mayfield football history other than being a fan from afar and knowing they have been a VERY good program for longer than I've been alive.

I think this is one of their best teams. Likely not THE best, but they wouldn't take a back seat to many and IMO won't take a back seat to any 2A squad this year either.

I'm not the Mayfield historian others on here are, but I'm wondering if the best Mayfield team may be prevented from being remembered that way due to injuries and some disciplinary problems. You start looking back and thinking about guys like Jonathan Jackson, Xavier Shelton, LaBront Scott, Shane Ross, the Guy brothers, on and on and you realize there have been some really great players come through the MF program since 2002. I believe there was a team in there somewhere that put many of those pieces on the field together at the same time that would otherwise be considered the best, but didn't ultimately finish the year with everyone healthy and still on the team. That 2010 team was amazing, but this current bunch is a pretty focused group and I wouldn't put much past them. Best ever talk is reserved for champions, so let's see how they do over these next five (if they get to play that many).