Which Player is the Most Pleasant Surprise for the Reds This Season???

Dan Strailey : 12-8 . 3.81 ERA(Lower if not for his one bad outing), 1.18 WHIP , 172 2/3 innings. He has allowed 3 hits or fewer in 11 starts this season. Salary: $512,100

Adam Duvall : 30 Long Balls , 89 Ribeyes , 27 Doubles . Salary: $510,000

I'd say we've gotten our money's worth out of these guys. Whose your most pleasant surprise, Strailey or Duvall? Someone else ?

I think these guys have to be 1a and 1b in most people's minds. The other person who I think has flown under the radar this year, and I think has down an admirable job, all things considered, is Tucker Barnhart. He doesn't have the power that Mesoraco has, but he's been great with the staff, holds his own with baserunners, and is actually hitting somewhere close to .370 with runners in scoring position.

Surprise - Straily. I didn't know who the guy was coming out of AZ.

Duvall finally got to play regularly and has produced. Certainly he still has lots of room for improvement and holes to fill, but I think the Reds are comfortable planning for him in LF hoping for improvement, scared of regression and would be happy with same.

Hamilton - improvement, particularly in the 2nd half, was very encouraging. If he continues with incremental improvement, he could be a huge contributor next year OR definitely in 2018 when they hope to REALLY compete. Just wonder how his style of play (CF and on the basepaths) impacts his health & availability.

Barnhardt - solid and would be a GREAT backup. Unless and until they have a front line C, he'll fill the role and not be a major drag on either side of the ball.

Good article and comments. I stick with my thoughts that the Reds could contend for a wild card in 2017 as they continue to rebuild toward 2018 and beyond. Barring huge injuries or other events, .500 should be a 2017 goal with 87 wins as a "stretch goal."

Not disagreeing...............well I am but only because I think the Reds got about as good of a season they are going to get out of Votto, Duvall, Phillips, Hamilton, the combined catchers, Bruce when he was here, Peraza, Cozart and Disco and Strailey and they still are in last place.............I hope they all can produce in 2017 (if they are here) like they did in 2016 but not sure they can.