Highlands 2 Covington Catholic 1

AllenR

So, were the goals scored off of headers? Corner kicks, free kicks, etc?

I THINK the CovCath goal was a header off a corner. Can't recall if it was a short played corner then cross or if right off the corner.

Mills header (2nd goal) was off a cross.

Not sure about the Zachary goal.

Keeper Matos went in to attack Zachary.(not sure what to call it) Looked like Zachary got rid of the ball. Shot? Pass? Another defender hit and Zachary putback. It happened VERY fast and I was focused at the collision point.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Groinpull I was at the same game and while I agree that CovCath had the upper hand in the first half but not to the extent you make it seem.....and I definitely feel Highlands outplayed them in the second half. Kudos to both teams for playing hard and giving us a great match to watch!.....In the future it might be nice to compliment a team that is very good, which Highlands is.....like it or not. I have no issue complimenting CovCath for an excellent team. IMO we should root for all of our N.K. teams.

Groinpull I was at the same game and while I agree that CovCath had the upper hand in the first half but not to the extent you make it seem.....and I definitely feel Highlands outplayed them in the second half. Kudos to both teams for playing hard and giving us a great match to watch!.....In the future it might be nice to compliment a team that is very good, which Highlands is.....like it or not. I have no issue complimenting CovCath for an excellent team. IMO we should root for all of our N.K. teams.

Agreed.

I'm glad that my comments spurred you to sign up and make your very first post. Congrats on that milestone, but we'll have to disagree on the definition of "very good team". I didn't think either team looked particularly good in the first half but perhaps that changed in the second half. The first half was a lot of kicking the ball up the field and chasing it by both teams. Neither team will go far with that approach.

As an aside, scroll down and review my take on the CCH/Trinity game in which I say that Trinity has a nice team (which they do). If I think an opposing team looks good, I'll say that but not just to keep the soccer moms in the audience happy.

I agree that neither looked the best in the first half, but I do feel Highlands played much better in the second half and I know you missed that so I won't elaborate.....and my comment about Highlands being a very good team wasn't just based on last night. I've seen 90% of their games and minus the Trinity game they've been pretty impressive this year. Coaches have done a tremendous job with this team.....Either way when these two teams get together it's always exciting! Good luck to both teams as the season progresses.

Fair result. CCH continues to struggle in the attacking third, to much individualism. If they ever get to a full strength and go with their best starting 11 things may change. Stava really gives them a different type of attacking player but due to a lot of injuries, he has had to play most of their games in the back. CCH IMO has a good team when ALL of their players decide to show up and play, such as during the Trinity game. But so far this season to many of their players just don't get it done on a consistent basis. HHS was opportunistic last night and would agree, their staff has done a nice job so far.

Personally I don't think it's right to mention any HS player directly in a negative tone. But I do agree with grionpull, to many comments on bgp about how good or great this team is, how great these players are, etc. An example, I'm sure the "top 10 best players in nky" post will be coming out soon, (personally I hope not). Never fails for a few people to list 3, 4, 5 players from their team on this list and before you know it, it comes the "top 100". Lets be realistic most teams are average at best, some are good, some are bad, and very few are really good.

Jeremy has been a part of this series on both sides for quite some time; however, can anyone remember when he was last on the winning side of a game at Tower Park. He has lost at Tower Park as Cov. Cath coach in 2012, 2014, and now 2016. Also going back on the KHSAA scoreboard it appears he was either lost or tied Cov. Cath going back at least a decade. Really odd.

#curseoftheclosedgaragedoor

Fair result. CCH continues to struggle in the attacking third, to much individualism. If they ever get to a full strength and go with their best starting 11 things may change. Stava really gives them a different type of attacking player but due to a lot of injuries, he has had to play most of their games in the back. CCH IMO has a good team when ALL of their players decide to show up and play, such as during the Trinity game. But so far this season to many of their players just don't get it done on a consistent basis. HHS was opportunistic last night and would agree, their staff has done a nice job so far.

Personally I don't think it's right to mention any HS player directly in a negative tone. But I do agree with grionpull, to many comments on bgp about how good or great this team is, how great these players are, etc. An example, I'm sure the "top 10 best players in nky" post will be coming out soon, (personally I hope not). Never fails for a few people to list 3, 4, 5 players from their team on this list and before you know it, it comes the "top 100". Lets be realistic most teams are average at best, some are good, some are bad, and very few are really good.

They played, what I'm guessing is their best XI for the first 20 minutes of the second half and that time frame ended 1-1 and Highlands had come out on the bad end of goal box scramble that CovCath was able to clear that had a better than decent chance to make it 2-1 at that point. Highlands plays with a ton of energy. CovCath, in my uneducated mind played with a lot of uncertainty. They weren't very decisive near the final 1/3rd. One thing is for sure, the Region is WIDE open this year.

They played, what I'm guessing is their best XI for the first 20 minutes of the second half and that time frame ended 1-1 and Highlands had come out on the bad end of goal box scramble that CovCath was able to clear that had a better than decent chance to make it 2-1 at that point. Highlands plays with a ton of energy. CovCath, in my uneducated mind played with a lot of uncertainty. They weren't very decisive near the final 1/3rd. One thing is for sure, the Region is WIDE open this year.

You guessed wrong, CCH did not play their best 11, at any time last night, they didn't and they couldn't. The "didn't" I can't answer, the "couldn't", one of these best 11 was unable to play last night.

You guessed wrong, CCH did not play their best 11, at any time last night, they didn't and they couldn't. The "didn't" I can't answer, the "couldn't", one of these best 11 was unable to play last night.

From your comments, the "best XI" was not possible last night because of availability issues.

Considering only the players available last night... Are you saying they did not put their "best XI" on the field?

Welcome to HS soccer... you have to be flexible with your line ups. Most schools don't have the depth that Cov cath has always had the luxury of. So I don't see this as an excuse for the result.