Building a home with no city water ?

hidinout

I'm considering buying some acreage out in the country and the place doesn't have city water . So I'd like to ask about my choices . Obviously dig a well or have some type of cistern system . My question is how do they equipment available these days to predict whether a water table is present to dig into ? Or do you just have to drill to find out ? How much does a well cost ? Also is it possible to not use drill a well but just have some type of rain water collection cistern ? No one drinks tap water anymore , just need water to shower , clean and flush . No children , don't need but enough for 2 . Thanks

Large tank would be my choice...I think you can get them in very large sizes. Probably could filter rain water into it as well as having it filled by water truck.

FWIW, I've lived like this...we had a spring fed cistern and still had to have water hauled in every couple of weeks. Laundry, toilets flushes and showers really add up.

Being a city slicker, I've got nothing, but it sounds like an exciting peaceful endeavor, and the suggestions that KYSportster and Jumper Dad have made with the large refillable tank idea sounds so much more practical than the digging of a well with all of the mystery, expense, and possible complications surrounding that.

Still, this city boy doesn't belong in this discussion because I haven't the first clue of the ways and means of country living, but I find your adventure to be pretty interesting. Good luck with it all, and it's admirable that you're up for the challenge. I'm sure that it will be worth the rewards.

We have a cistern. Collects rain water off roof, gutters to downspouts into the cistern that is under our porch. With 4 kids we have to get water hauled every now and then, but no big deal. Our cistern can hold about 15,000 gallons (45ft by 6ft by 8ft). Not that we ever have it that full.

I would say a cistern that feeds off the roof/gutters would be a good option. The house I lived in as a child had that. We only had to bring in water 2 times a year at the most. Buy a softener/filtration system that it runs through. Then have a polar water thing for drinking water.

Its not that far from civilization -- lol -- City water ends about a mile or 1.5 miles from where I wish to build - off the AA highway in Greenup Co ( wish it were Lewis :) ) Ran into plenty road blocks in talking to the city of greenup about extending the line , many were legit concerns - property is up on top of a ridge and the line would currently not exactly serve many customers -- ME .. lol . city was worried about mandatory water pressure in the line if extended , because the good ole govt says it has have a certain reading , if too low a sub station pump must be built . I was told 8K for the engineer to study the extension , 70-80K if a sub station was needed . Neither of which the city of Greenup was willing to spend . And I get it . It would currently only serve 1 home .

I would say a cistern that feeds off the roof/gutters would be a good option. The house I lived in as a child had that. We only had to bring in water 2 times a year at the most. Buy a softener/filtration system that it runs through. Then have a polar water thing for drinking water.

This is what we do at the Compound. We may have had to buy water one time last year; usually in the winter.