August 30, 201610 yr Maybe he realized he was going to get cut and thought that the team might feel pressured to keep him if he make this stance. My prediction is that he is out of the league very soon though. Some have thought that was part of the motivation. I don't think that was the case.
August 30, 201610 yr That those of us that disagree with his actions have been painted as racists ourselves. That has a lot do with the political correctness I spoke about. How dare anyone not think all police officers in the country aren't racist.
August 30, 201610 yr I don't agree with him but I think he is going about it the right way. Peaceful protest is always acceptable in my book. Now he will have to face The reprocussions that come from taking a stand like this... But the flag flies to show freedom for just this type of thing. It's the violent protesters: rioters and guys shooting police officers like snipers that I have a serious problem with. Even the protests that block roadways cross the line in my opinion. Sitting down to bring attention to a cause (even a cause I don't believe in) is perfectly acceptable.
August 30, 201610 yr He converted to Islam, of course he hates America. I wonder if he hates the white family that took him as their own after his own black family abandoned him.
August 30, 201610 yr It's a shame that in 2016 we still can't have a true conversation about race in America. Nothing I have read so far makes me paint anyone as an outright racist but at the same time it shows me that a fruitless discussion about race is all this thread has to offer. In my world we'd all switch places for at least a year, probably 5 years is better though, just for people to step outside their boxes and experience life from a totally different perspective. Make a white man a black woman for 5 years. Make a white woman a black man for 5 years. Make a black man a white woman for 5 years and make a black woman a white man for 5 years. I'd pay top dollar to see how perspectives change over those 5 years.
August 30, 201610 yr People can talk about Colin Kaepernick all you want. Go find all of your black friends/coworkers and ask them these questions and tell them you want honest answers. 1. How do you feel about Colin Kaepernick and the stance he is taking? 2. How do you feel about the national anthem? 3. How do you feel about the oppression of blacks in America? 4. Do you love being an American? 5. How do you feel about race relations in America? Go find your black friends and ask them face to face for some honest answers to those questions. Or better yet, go find multiple black people and ask them those questions. Ask your black coworkers. I'll tell you this too......if you have some black friends or coworkers who have been silent on this issue then that means they agree with Kap. If you have some black friends or coworkers who drop a word or two about it and move on that means they either agree with Kap or will say whatever because they want to have a peaceful day at work. I had some good private conversations with black coworkers who just want a peaceful day at work today. Just saying......
August 30, 201610 yr I don't agree with him but I think he is going about it the right way. Peaceful protest is always acceptable in my book. Now he will have to face The reprocussions that come from taking a stand like this... But the flag flies to show freedom for just this type of thing. It's the violent protesters: rioters and guys shooting police officers like snipers that I have a serious problem with. Even the protests that block roadways cross the line in my opinion. Sitting down to bring attention to a cause (even a cause I don't believe in) is perfectly acceptable. I was thinking something similar earlier. When black people protest peacefully it's a problem. When black people "protest" and riot, it's a problem. How are black people supposed to protest about what they feel are injustices in today's society. Your post is spot on.
August 30, 201610 yr I'll be shocked if Kaepernick is on a team this Sunday. I respect his stance. I respect his protest. I agree with his peaceful protest and his desire to bring awareness to a sensitive issue in the black community. I'll be shocked if any teams wants to have Kaepernick on their sideline on NFL opening day which so happens to fall on 9-11 this year. I'm with Kap all the way but on 9-11 I'd make an exception to my protest.
August 30, 201610 yr Now that the CK saga is a couple of days old which of the following bothers you and which bothers you the most? Not standing for National Anthem Claiming blacks are not receiving equal treatment Citing police shootings as evidence Using the word "oppressed" The fact that he is wealthy The fact that his parents are white Timing The fact he's an athlete If there are others feel free to list them. Just curious. There are three questions that have to get answered immediately in this conversation. 1. Are you bothered that Kap refuses to stand for the anthem? 2. Are you bothered at why Kap refuses to stand for the anthem? 3. Are you bothered that Kap refuses to stand for the anthem along with his reasoning for not standing? I think the answers to those questions are important. My wife is bothered that he won't stand for the anthem and that's it. She wishes he would choose to find another way to protest. I get that. I don't agree with her but I get it. People have this romantic view of the anthem and that it represents a vision of our country that should always be respected. No beef with that. Do you. For folks bothered by his reasoning of his protest I ask why. I keep waiting to see a good rebuttal as to why Kap shouldn't protest in this manner and haven't seen one yet. At some point folks will want to find out why black people feel this way won't they?
August 30, 201610 yr Also, don't be surprised to see regular joes in the stands at sporting events following Kap's lead. Kap may get cut and never play football again but there will be people who will refuse to stand for the anthem and you may see those people this Friday night at a high school game near you.
August 30, 201610 yr That those of us that disagree with his actions have been painted as racists ourselves. It's just part of it. People who defend Freddie Gray, Michael Warner, Tamir Rice and others are viewed as cop haters. Just the way it is.
August 30, 201610 yr There are three questions that have to get answered immediately in this conversation. 1. Are you bothered that Kap refuses to stand for the anthem? 2. Are you bothered at why Kap refuses to stand for the anthem? 3. Are you bothered that Kap refuses to stand for the anthem along with his reasoning for not standing? I think the answers to those questions are important. My wife is bothered that he won't stand for the anthem and that's it. She wishes he would choose to find another way to protest. I get that. I don't agree with her but I get it. People have this romantic view of the anthem and that it represents a vision of our country that should always be respected. No beef with that. Do you. For folks bothered by his reasoning of his protest I ask why. I keep waiting to see a good rebuttal as to why Kap shouldn't protest in this manner and haven't seen one yet. At some point folks will want to find out why black people feel this way won't they? On point. My only issue is the divisive commentary because folks are too lazy to look beyond blanket statements. It assists in fueling outrage (by both sides) and leads to unrest. When asked about it had he said "I refuse to stand until policing against minorities is improved," it would resonate more with me because I know that to be true. Remember, "murder" means premeditation with the intent to kill. I believe biases exist that have led to death, but I refuse to believe there is a systemic effort by the police to murder others. Maybe I am naive though? And the Castro shirt. Talk about oppression. :lol2:
August 30, 201610 yr There are three questions that have to get answered immediately in this conversation. 1. Are you bothered that Kap refuses to stand for the anthem? 2. Are you bothered at why Kap refuses to stand for the anthem? 3. Are you bothered that Kap refuses to stand for the anthem along with his reasoning for not standing? I think the answers to those questions are important. My wife is bothered that he won't stand for the anthem and that's it. She wishes he would choose to find another way to protest. I get that. I don't agree with her but I get it. People have this romantic view of the anthem and that it represents a vision of our country that should always be respected. No beef with that. Do you. For folks bothered by his reasoning of his protest I ask why. I keep waiting to see a good rebuttal as to why Kap shouldn't protest in this manner and haven't seen one yet. At some point folks will want to find out why black people feel this way won't they? 1. No 2. No 3. No I think not standing for the anthem is silly, but it doesn't me. While I don't necessarily agree with his reasoning, I do respect the fact that he's taking a stand (and a peaceful one at that) for what he believes in. I'll never fault anyone for doing that.
August 30, 201610 yr This is silly, but I also hate knowing that assuming Kap gets cut, the millions of non-football fans will cite this (or Michael Sam's sexuality, or Tebow's Christianity) as the reason he was cut. And more internet memes will be generated.
August 30, 201610 yr This is silly, but I also hate knowing that assuming Kap gets cut, the millions of non-football fans will cite this (or Michael Sam's sexuality, or Tebow's Christianity) as the reason he was cut. And more internet memes will be generated. Topic for a different thread, but there is no way you can convince me that Tebow wasn't (at least in part) cut because of his faith. In his one shot all he did was win.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.