Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somerset 2016

Featured Replies

Instead of resurrecting an old thread I just started a new one.

 

Had the opportunity to stop by a weight lifting/indoor session at Clark Field yesterday. Jumpers have added a few new faces it seems. Looked to be about 45-50 players for a June workout session (I'm not an expert but that seems pretty good). one of the coaches let me know that when all are there they have close to 70 kids rostered. The bulk of the team is now upperclassman as most of the faces were familiar. Looking around the weight room there were several groups of kids benching in the upper 200's and some in the lower to mid 300's for reps! That's a welcome change from the past couple years. They have size and speed this year akin to the nice run they had from 2009-2013.

 

The district is going to be tough sledding for all 4 teams involved I would imagine but this group has the pieces to run the table if quarterback play can catch up to everything they return I believe.

  • Replies 44
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy to see the numbers coming back up. Team has been young it seems for the past several years, hopefully a Jr. and Sr. led team can get back to the winning ways that led to those 5 straight appearances in the semi finals.

There district is loaded..... 1-3 will be like playing a seed come playoff time.

  • Author
There district is loaded..... 1-3 will be like playing a seed come playoff time.

 

I'm assuming you meant a "one" seed and I hope (think) you are correct. All three teams have weapons upon weapons. Is it enough to compete with NCC and, just as importantly, the west... Time will tell.

I'm assuming you meant a "one" seed and I hope (think) you are correct. All three teams have weapons upon weapons. Is it enough to compete with NCC and, just as importantly, the west... Time will tell.

 

Thanks and I did mean a 1 seed. Defense is were Somerset will need to be better a on. I hope I can attend there game with hazard this year.

Aug 19, 16 [TABLE=class: team_score_table]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%][/TD]

[TD]Mason County[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Aug 26, 16[/TD]

[TD]Williamsburg[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 2, 16[/TD]

[TD]Beechwood[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 9, 16[/TD]

[TD]Hazard[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 23, 16[/TD]

[TD]Rockcastle County[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 30, 16[/TD]

[TD]Caverna[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 7, 16[/TD]

[TD]Danville[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 14, 16[/TD]

[TD]Lexington Christian[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 21, 16[/TD]

[TD]Middlesboro[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 28, 16[/TD]

[TD]Perry County Central[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Aug 19, 16 [TABLE=class: team_score_table]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%][/TD]

[TD]Mason County[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Aug 26, 16[/TD]

[TD]Williamsburg[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 2, 16[/TD]

[TD]Beechwood[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 9, 16[/TD]

[TD]Hazard[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 23, 16[/TD]

[TD]Rockcastle County[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Sep 30, 16[/TD]

[TD]Caverna[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 7, 16[/TD]

[TD]Danville[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 14, 16[/TD]

[TD]Lexington Christian[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-odd]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 21, 16[/TD]

[TD]Middlesboro[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]away[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: schedule-even]

[TD=width: 10%]Oct 28, 16[/TD]

[TD]Perry County Central[/TD]

[TD=class: schedule-loc]home[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD=width: 10%]7:30 PM[/TD]

[TD=class: team_score_comments][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

 

 

3 wins for sure and the rest are toss ups.. That is a brutal schedule...

  • Author
Thanks and I did mean a 1 seed. Defense is were Somerset will need to be better a on. I hope I can attend there game with hazard this year.

 

Somerset was very strong defensively for the better part of a decade. I'm hoping weight room and age has helped the roster.

Somerset was very strong defensively for the better part of a decade. I'm hoping weight room and age has helped the roster.

 

I agree.......The past two years they have been young and this could be the year to have a strong defense.. I expect good things from Somerset this year..

I post this trying not to sound like a "Debbie Downer" so please excuse me.

 

This year is a prove it to me year. There is talent to be had but discipline is what is needed. Not just discipline for any off field incidents (which happen a lot of places) but also mental discipline , the kids getting their minds back into the game and start excelling after a couple of tough years (record wise).

 

If I could get someone to tell me this team has bonded and close, that will be a really nice thing to hear. There hasn't seemed to be a closeness the last couple years and I think it is needed.

 

I have a kid coming up in the ranks and will be suiting up for Meece in the next year or two as he is going into 5th grade. I want these kids to succeed more than you know.

  • Author
I post this trying not to sound like a "Debbie Downer" so please excuse me.

 

This year is a prove it to me year. There is talent to be had but discipline is what is needed. Not just discipline for any off field incidents (which happen a lot of places) but also mental discipline , the kids getting their minds back into the game and start excelling after a couple of tough years (record wise).

 

If I could get someone to tell me this team has bonded and close, that will be a really nice thing to hear. There hasn't seemed to be a closeness the last couple years and I think it is needed.

 

I have a kid coming up in the ranks and will be suiting up for Meece in the next year or two as he is going into 5th grade. I want these kids to succeed more than you know.

 

Probably unfair to assume a groups "closeness" unless you're actually a part of it. I can't speak to that but will say from what I saw they ALL seemed to know and like each other.

 

I'm not entirely certain that the past two groups weren't close, last year was a few plays shy of being 8-2 in the regular season; a good season by any measurement. The year before they were literally in every district game until the last few minutes and could never pull it out... The pieces were young during both campaigns, this group has been through a lot and by my estimation seem to have grown stronger with more resolve as a result. This may be the best measurement of "closeness" that one can assume as an outsider looking into the everyday workings of a locker room.

 

Regardless of opinion I agree with the sentiment that we all want to see them do well and many believe that this group, and the ones following, have the make up to be strong this year and years to come.

The team bonding is a big part of how the season will go. In 2009 when Coach Cobb resigned just before the season that team came together and in 2009 and 2010 they were as close as any team I've seen and went 27-2 over those 2 seasons.

 

Hopefully this team has come together to play for each other and to fight for each other. It's time for Somerset Football to get back to winning Regions and beyond.

Schedule is brutal. The pieces are there for a good season. I'd say they will go 6-4 or 7-3 regular season. They are talented enough to go 8-2 but could be as bad as 5-5. Either way I think this team will be hitting on all cylinders by playoffs and will give Danville all they want for the Region championship. They have the tools just have to play unselfish football and eliminate the mental mistakes of the past couple years.

Schedule is brutal. The pieces are there for a good season. I'd say they will go 6-4 or 7-3 regular season. They are talented enough to go 8-2 but could be as bad as 5-5. Either way I think this team will be hitting on all cylinders by playoffs and will give Danville all they want for the Region championship. They have the tools just have to play unselfish football and eliminate the mental mistakes of the past couple years.

 

 

I think it's LCAs year but all 3 are so close....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.