Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Steelers' Mitchell thrives on toughness

Featured Replies

Steelers pro personnel coordinator Brandon Hunt saw Mike Mitchell was watching practice with defensive backs coach Carnell Lake, and he couldn't help but ask the safety a question.

 

“He asked me if I was practicing today,” Mitchell said. “I said ‘Nah.' ”

 

Mitchell paused, then asked Hunt a question.

 

“I said, but how many games have I missed?” Mitchell said.

 

The answer is none. But in reality, it could be quite a few.

 

Steelers' Mitchell thrives on toughness | TribLIVE

  • Author

When you hit as hard as Mitchell does I would say injuries go with the territory.

Especially when you hit late (or early), low (or high) and out of bounds.

Especially when you hit late (or early), low (or high) and out of bounds.

 

:cry::cry::cry:

His version of 'toughness' is what many might call cowardly.

His version of 'toughness' is what many might call cowardly.

 

Of course you do. He's not a Bengal. He can't wait to launch himself at your favorite Bengal.

Of course he's dirty but if we're ok with Burfect we can't complain about Mitchell.

Of course he's dirty but if we're ok with Burfect we can't complain about Mitchell.

 

Sure they can.

In this neck of the woods Mitchell is hated for transferring to Highlands. I don't understand it , but to each his own. We'll let this simmer for a while. Really don't want to beat this dead horse, again and again and...........well, you know.

 

Starting safety for three different teams, making about 5 mil a year, somebody in high places must think he's pretty good and NOT dirty enough to cause a franchise to release him. Everybody sees him as dirty and a cheap shot artist, show me the proof. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any stats, fines, or suspensions created by his accusations of being a dirty player. I'm sure there were some, but one would expect BGP to be exploding with bad stats about all his assumed dirty play. Show me the facts and stats that prove he is a dirty player. He's been a starting safety over a decade, there must be some facts out there about his so call dirty play. Happy hunting.

We all know the Steelers are league favorites. Their guys rarely are fined by the league.

I like Mike (hey, play on an old slogan!). I've known him since 2001 and the kid has always been tough - even when he was skinny.

 

He plays like we all want OUR defensive backs to play. He will try to knock you out. He's old school in that regard.

 

He also plays hurt. He works for his money. He doesn't take games off despite being injured.

 

We'd love him if he was a Bengal.

 

I'm thrilled for his success that only he and his dad Maurice saw in 2001.

I like Mike (hey, play on an old slogan!). I've known him since 2001 and the kid has always been tough - even when he was skinny.

 

He plays like we all want OUR defensive backs to play. He will try to knock you out. He's old school in that regard.

 

He also plays hurt. He works for his money. He doesn't take games off despite being injured.

 

We'd love him if he was a Bengal.

 

I'm thrilled for his success that only he and his dad Maurice saw in 2001.

 

When I think of Mike 2 two moments come to my mind:

 

- The first was when he put a hit on a Boyle County receiver in the north endzone at David Cecil. The hardest hit I have ever seen at the high school level.

 

- The second was my boys and I were at a Charlotte Bobcat game a few years back and both of them had Highlands shirts on. Mike Mitchell stopped them and asked if that was Highlands in Ft. Thomas. We talked, took pictures and it was a really nice gesture. Afterward I told my boys it isn't often the NFL player stops the high school kid to talk. Now every time my little guy sees him he starts the conversation with "I am that kid who met you at the Bobcats game". Mike always laughs at his introduction.

In this neck of the woods Mitchell is hated for transferring to Highlands. I don't understand it , but to each his own. We'll let this simmer for a while. Really don't want to beat this dead horse, again and again and...........well, you know.

 

Starting safety for three different teams, making about 5 mil a year, somebody in high places must think he's pretty good and NOT dirty enough to cause a franchise to release him. Everybody sees him as dirty and a cheap shot artist, show me the proof. I've looked everywhere and I can't find any stats, fines, or suspensions created by his accusations of being a dirty player. I'm sure there were some, but one would expect BGP to be exploding with bad stats about all his assumed dirty play. Show me the facts and stats that prove he is a dirty player. He's been a starting safety over a decade, there must be some facts out there about his so call dirty play. Happy hunting.

 

I don't know how hard you really looked? Mike's fines have been publicized, and he directly called out Goodell a year or two ago.

 

Mike was fined $7,875 in October 2013 for a hit on Sam Bradford that ended Bradford's season. Mike celebrated the hit afterwards & stated he didn't know Bradford was hurt. Mitchell accumulated somewhere between $40-$45,000 in fines that year.

 

Last year, he was fined at least twice: once for his hit on Antonio Gates ($8,681 in October 2015); he was also fined over $23,000 for a hit on Tyler Eifert in December 2015. Eifert actually caught the pass. Mike still celebrated the hit. Eifert later left the game due to a concussion sustained in the hit, and also missed the next week. (See pic below)

 

635856332170642515-Eifert-Concussion.jpeg

 

I'm sure there are many more fines. To my knowledge, he hasn't been suspended yet.

 

And for what it's worth, Mike has started for three (3) seasons in the NFL (2013 for Carolina & 2014 & 2015 for Pittsburgh). He's had a good career, and I'm happy for Mike, but he hasn't been a starting safety in the NFL for a decade.

I don't know how hard you really looked? Mike's fines have been publicized, and he directly called out Goodell a year or two ago.

 

Mike was fined $7,875 in October 2013 for a hit on Sam Bradford that ended Bradford's season. Mike celebrated the hit afterwards & stated he didn't know Bradford was hurt. Mitchell accumulated somewhere between $40-$45,000 in fines that year.

 

Last year, he was fined at least twice: once for his hit on Antonio Gates ($8,681 in October 2015); he was also fined over $23,000 for a hit on Tyler Eifert in December 2015. Eifert actually caught the pass. Mike still celebrated the hit. Eifert later left the game due to a concussion sustained in the hit, and also missed the next week. (See pic below)

 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56341[/ATTACH]

 

I'm sure there are many more fines. To my knowledge, he hasn't been suspended yet.

 

And for what it's worth, Mike has started for three (3) seasons in the NFL (2013 for Carolina & 2014 & 2015 for Pittsburgh). He's had a good career, and I'm happy for Mike, but he hasn't been a starting safety in the NFL for a decade.

 

2015 16 games 58 tackles

2014 16 games 53 tackles

2013 15 games 50 tackles

2012 16 games 32 tackles

2011 13 games 22 tackles

2010 16 games 41 tackles

2009 16 games 11 tackles

 

The number of tackles is representing SOLO tackles.

 

After looking at the stats, if Mike wasn't a starter, he should have been.:scared:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.