Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic institutes Mandatory student Drug testing

Featured Replies

No, it makes them leave the school. Parents who are in denial will blame Trinity for their tests. You can not create a mandate that changes the core of a delusional parent. They will be bad for their child whether forced to test for drugs or not.

 

It may be semantics but the parents would be the ones that chose to leave the school if they choose not to accept the counseling.

 

FWIW I've seen some statistics from Trinity's program. There were less then 20 positive tests.

  • Replies 81
  • Views 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely have no problem with it.

I hung out with a pretty wild crowd in high school as far as drugs and alcohol go - some from Cov Cath, some from other schools. There were two guys who died while in high school directly as a result of drug use. Their parents were good parents. And genuinely had zero clue that their kids were using. This program could have stopped those two from dying, and that's why I support it.

I hung out with a pretty wild crowd in high school as far as drugs and alcohol go - some from Cov Cath, some from other schools. There were two guys who died while in high school directly as a result of drug use. Their parents were good parents. And genuinely had zero clue that their kids were using. This program could have stopped those two from dying, and that's why I support it.

 

Agreed, however in todays world, I wonder of the kids that have a positive test today, the parents really care.

I haven't read all the responses, but I like the idea. IMO students under the age of 18 give up certain rights when they come to school. Kids need outs and having this over their heads give some kids outs...now an argument against might be you have little Johnny and he likes the adrenaline rush of getting stoned, yet still passing the school drug test. More than likely, Johnny is going to do it regardless. However, the impending test might make little Joshua say no.

 

As an educator, there have been several instances where students were unruly and there was a scene caused in school and had the kid been tested, they would have tested positive for a multitude of things. How are teachers supposed to teach and police behaviors of kids who self medicate...it's tough.

No, it makes them leave the school. Parents who are in denial will blame Trinity for their tests. You can not create a mandate that changes the core of a delusional parent. They will be bad for their child whether forced to test for drugs or not.

 

I tend to lean your way on this issue. I'm not a big fan of any policy or restriction that has an under tone of assumed guilt. Make no mistake that is exactly what this policy is bad out of.

 

It has good intentions but makes me feel nervous as someone who strongly supports civil liberties.

 

Is it legal for a private entity to do this ? Obviously it seems to be I just don't like spirit or message behind it. We don't trust you so we must invade your personal space.

It may be semantics but the parents would be the ones that chose to leave the school if they choose not to accept the counseling.

 

FWIW I've seen some statistics from Trinity's program. There were less then 20 positive tests.

 

I wasn't clear, that's who I meant. My bad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.