Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Make the call

Featured Replies

Your number one pitcher is 6-0

Your number 2 pitcher is 0-0 and has struggled all season long

your number 3 pitcher is 0-1 and had struggled each time out

 

On your bench is the teams #2 pitcher from last season, who did not lose a game but she has not pitched all season.

 

You like using multiple pitchers even though your #1 is dominating.

 

Do you continue to throw the number 2 and 3 pitchers or do you as a first year coach do you give the #2 pitcher from last years team a chance to show you, the new first year coach what she can do.

 

 

(This situation is going on with a team I am watching this season)

IMO, regular season records don't mean squat! I would get all my pitchers enough work to ready them for possible use during post-season.

Why has the #2 from last year not pitched this year?

 

That's my question as well

  • Author

I have no clue.

 

I just go to the games and hear fans talking about it.

 

I know she is healthy, so its not a health issue.

  • Author
IMO, regular season records don't mean squat! I would get all my pitchers enough work to ready them for possible use during post-season.
This is a JV team and their is no post season, so the regular season is all they have.

Well if it's not injury-related or due to discipline, then I definitely get last year's #2 some action. As the saying goes, you can never have enough pitching. Because, as LB has already stated, you want that experience come postseason. If there is no postseason, then I can only imagine you're getting the other 2 girls some experience before they move up to the varsity next year?

This is a JV team and their is no post season, so the regular season is all they have.

 

Then this is even more reason to play EVERYONE!

 

What better way to prepare players for varsity competition then to play every one. I don't care if I lose every JV game, as long as I see improvement in my players when the season is over.

  • Author

The varsity team is rated one of the best in the country according to USA today newspaper(Someone posted the article on another site)They have a junior pitcher, who is one, if not the best in the state and she signed with A D-1 college during her Sophomore season. She pitches nearly every game for the varsity and I believe their #2 is a underclassman.

 

None of the three girls pitching at the JV level will make the varsity team next season. Very few seniors, so no room for pitchers.

Has the girl from last year let it be known that she does/doesn't want to pitch?

I would ask the mom in the dugout!

I would ask the mom in the dugout!

 

^^^^^ Now that is funny right there !!!

 

Back on topic....from a small school perspective, I agree with LB that you have to develop players on the JV level that you will or might depend on the following year. Wins and losses dont matter on the JV level at the expense of development, but it is important for the kids/players to understand game situations and be ready to contribute at the varsity level when called upon.

Now, if you (i.e. Newarkcatholicfan) are following and watching a "large" school that has ample pitching and a D-1 pitcher that is coming back; bottom line in varsity sports if you have someone of that caliber in front of you (i.e. the #2, #3 or #2 from last year) then you probably are not going to pitch the meaningful games. I would guess the #3 and #4 pitchers are going to probably not get as much game time...best to learn another position or show what you can do in practice. JV teams are not going to play as many games as varsity, and if you "spread the wealth" of the innings pitched too thin or to too many players, then you run the risk of not properly getting someone ready for the next year. Just my opinion....

  • Author

This a a D-3 softball school here in Ohio.

 

As I said this is a JV team.

 

I also should have said the #2 pitcher this year is a senior, who did not play last season.

 

I do not believe this is a thing where talent is being built for the future, at least in her case.

Edited by newarkcatholicfan

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.