Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield vs. Caldwell County @ Alliance Bowl

Featured Replies

So what does everyone think will happen this Friday night when two old rivals hook up again for the first time in a decade when the Cardinals and Tigers meet in game one of the Alliance Bowl?

 

I believe that it will be a low scoring game with the difference maybe being the kicking game of Mayfield's. Will be interesting to see how Mayfield pieces together their backfield until Trevarthan and Travis Brown get back into the lineup in a few weeks. If the Cards can keep the Tigers new found passing attack in check then I think that the Cards can come out with a game one victory...which will be huge for this very young group of Cards before taking on Marshall, Hoptown, Graves, and Tilghman in the coming weeks.

 

Interesting to get your thoughts on the game?

 

GO CARDS!!! :fight:

  • Replies 37
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Injuries have definitely put a glich in Mayfield's offense. From what I hear about there scrimmage with Owensboro, their defense is top notch right now. Hopefully they can find a way to put up 21-28 points. If that happens I think they will def win. If they have trouble scoring points it will be closer than people think......

Mayfield wins, 21-7. Good luck cards!!!!

Yeah, I don't know what to think about this game after finding out that Caldwell handled Murray well in their scrimmage, but I heard that Murray is really down this year. I don't know what kind of defense Caldwell plays but I hope they can't contain Shelton like Owensboro was able to do.

 

I wonder who is morris going to go to for the ground game? Is it going to be the new kid Murrel? Our kicking game will definitely be a welcome advantage we haven't had in the past year or so. I think we will be fine handling caldwells running game. What do you guys think?

Yeah, I don't know what to think about this game after finding out that Caldwell handled Murray well in their scrimmage, but I heard that Murray is really down this year. I don't know what kind of defense Caldwell plays but I hope they can't contain Shelton like Owensboro was able to do.

 

I wonder who is morris going to go to for the ground game? Is it going to be the new kid Murrel? Our kicking game will definitely be a welcome advantage we haven't had in the past year or so. I think we will be fine handling caldwells running game. What do you guys think?

 

The Paducah Sun indicated that the two starting halfbacks with be tyrese Murrell and Chad Saxton. Trevarthan will be out 6 to 8 weeks with a broken wrist so Saxton makes the move from fullback. I have no clue who will take over at fullback since Travis Brown is still injured.

I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to stop Caldwell's running game. To me that seems like Caldwell's only legitimate way to score and it just so happens that Mayfield is usually dominant when it comes to rush defense. If we keep their running back in check Mayfield wins........

The Paducah Sun indicated that the two starting halfbacks with be tyrese Murrell and Chad Saxton. Trevarthan will be out 6 to 8 weeks with a broken wrist so Saxton makes the move from fullback. I have no clue who will take over at fullback since Travis Brown is still injured.

I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to stop Caldwell's running game. To me that seems like Caldwell's only legitimate way to score and it just so happens that Mayfield is usually dominant when it comes to rush defense. If we keep their running back in check Mayfield wins........

 

Yeah, we have been dominant with our running defense, I thought we contained Milan well in that respect. I worry about teams like Graves who seemed to pass well against Trigg from what I saw and I know that is a weak spot for us, always has been.

I worry about teams like Graves who seemed to pass well against Trigg from what I saw and I know that is a weak spot for us, always has been.

 

It sounds to me like you should start getting worried, Caldwell's new coach loves to air it out and the Cards are so young coupled with some key injuries. I think Caldwell has a great chance at beating the Cards but I hope it doesn't happen

It sounds to me like you should start getting worried, Caldwell's new coach loves to air it out and the Cards are so young coupled with some key injuries. I think Caldwell has a great chance at beating the Cards but I hope it doesn't happen

 

Yep, but I think we need to play against teams that air it out personally, the earlier the better.

I don't think "air it out" is exactly accurate in regards to the Barnes/Franklin offense. Yes, it's likely Caldwell will throw it more than run it on Friday, but most of those are screens which, in essence, are nothing more than long handoffs. The offense doesn't feature a lot of down the field passing, unless the defense makes a mistake in coverage. The receivers must catch the ball and they must block down field to make it work, from what I've seen.

 

I think Mayfield fans will come to appreciate Caldwell running back Rodney Bell, who is probably as underrated as any player in this area. The kid runs hard and always keeps his feet moving.

 

As far as Caldwell's offense, it could be great, it could be a dud. Hard to tell at this point. I'm just hoping for a good, competitive opening game.

 

BTW, how many Murrells have played at Mayfield, and are they all related?

BTW, how many Murrells have played at Mayfield, and are they all related?

 

Quite a few I believe, you know what we say in Mayfield, "Tradition never graduates"

"Tradition never graduates," That would explain a lot.;)

 

Seems like there was a Murrell that played at Mayfield the last time Caldwell played the Cardinals, which I think was 1994.

 

Coulda been a few years before that, sometimes the years all run together:jump:

 

I wonder if Mayfield folks understand the place Caldwell's win in 1985 still holds in Princeton.

 

It's like...

1a - State Championship 1998

1b - State Championship 1963 (this could also be 1a for some folks)

2 - Win over Mayfield 1985

 

Expect to see a bunch of blue and gold in the stands Friday night. I figure the Mayfield fans will all be there too.

 

Here's hoping its not 100 degrees at kickoff.

I don't think "air it out" is exactly accurate in regards to the Barnes/Franklin offense. Yes, it's likely Caldwell will throw it more than run it on Friday, but most of those are screens which, in essence, are nothing more than long handoffs. The offense doesn't feature a lot of down the field passing, unless the defense makes a mistake in coverage. The receivers must catch the ball and they must block down field to make it work, from what I've seen.
I would say that's a fair assessment of the Franklin offense. The question is whether Caldwell has the personnel to pull it off.

I think Mayfield fans will come to appreciate Caldwell running back Rodney Bell, who is probably as underrated as any player in this area. The kid runs hard and always keeps his feet moving.
I like Rodney Bell's talent and running style. When I saw him last year, I was skeptical that he would get through the season without having some fumble problems, but he did.

 

The problem is that Bell needs to stay on the field. He missed two games last season because of grade problems, including the playoff loss to Fort Campbell. His absence against Lone Oak might have cost Caldwell the win.

BTW, how many Murrells have played at Mayfield, and are they all related?
This is the first Murrell I can remember since William. I'm told that Tyrese is his cousin.

[quote=PtownDude

I wonder if Mayfield folks understand the place Caldwell's win in 1985 still holds in Princeton.

 

It's like...

1a - State Championship 1998

1b - State Championship 1963 (this could also be 1a for some folks)

2 - Win over Mayfield 1985

 

A night I was involved in that forever left a scar on an otherwise magic season

  • Author
Yep, but I think we need to play against teams that air it out personally, the earlier the better.

 

I agree...playing a team like Caldwell out of the gate, win or lose, will help us out in the long run as we play teams that run very well but we have our problems against teams that can do both with good talent. This game should help prepare us for the upcoming weeks with Marshall, Hoptown, Graves, and Tilghman on the schedule.

 

I believe that if we can get through the first couple of weeks with at least a split that we should be in good shape, of course this is all predicated on the fact that we stay healthy, and we get Travis Brown back in a few weeks and Trevarthan back in a month or so. If we can do that I think this Cards team will be fine when the 1A season rolls around.

 

I am just wondering if we will see the Cards go more to the screen passing game as well to try and back teams off of the line of scrimmage early on in the game to open up the running attack.

I think Mayfield fans will come to appreciate Caldwell running back Rodney Bell, who is probably as underrated as any player in this area. The kid runs hard and always keeps his feet moving.

 

 

I saw Bell last year against Marshall County and he looked real good.

I am just wondering if we will see the Cards go more to the screen passing game as well to try and back teams off of the line of scrimmage early on in the game to open up the running attack.

 

Would be nice, :thumb:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.