Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Are Bracken County and Mason County rivals?

Featured Replies

I am not from around this area, mostly NKY. But I was reading a thread where they were talking rivalries, and Bracken was mentioned with Brossart, Pendleton, and Augusta. But not Mason County, which sounded odd since many Bracken County people tell me their hatred for the Royals, and I don't see the same hatred with other schools. I mean these guys just flat out hate each other!

 

I've talked to Mason County people and they say "We're not rivals because we best them every time." However they have beat their dying rivals Fleming County 18 times in a row I believe. They aren't even in the same district, or region.

 

And this is carrying over from other sports, such as softball, volleyball, and baseball, where Bracken County is defending district champs. It takes more than one sport to create a rivalry.

 

So are we seeing the start of a Bracken/Mason rivalry? Please be constructive.

"We're not rivals because we best them every time."

This sentence says it all. Started about 50 years ago, I think I remember a fight during a girl's game in the 70's. Been that way since.

  • Author
This sentence says it all. Started about 50 years ago, I think I remember a fight during a girl's game in the 70's. Been that way since.
Fleming or Bracken? I know FC and MC didn't schedule each other. Now it doesn't feel like a rivalry from the outside looking in.

I would say their girls programs are rivals, as its a bit more even and Bracken wins their share. The boys programs, its more of a big brother/little brother thing than a "rival". They've only become district opponents within the last 10 years, though.

 

I always thought Bracken's historic rivals were Augusta and Pendleton, maybe Deming/Robertson Co, due to them being district mates for so long. I don't know who Mason Co's current rivals are if they own Fleming like they do Bracken.

Fleming or Bracken? I know FC and MC didn't schedule each other. Now it doesn't feel like a rivalry from the outside looking in.

Bracken Co. Seemed like there was always a home court feel about the regional games played there, like extra seconds ticked off the clock when Mason needed the game to end or vice versa if they needed more clock to score. Never knew the accuracy of those accusations. Seems like I remember some crazy clock problems in the 70's during regional games when Bracken boys had a very good team for a couple of years. I think it became more one sided on wins when they absorbed the Maysville Public Schools, which Maysville fought against, since they were truly their greatest rival until the consolidation. Don't know how things stand now but I do know that 39th District game at BCHS this year was hotly contested. Boys and girls teams.

  • Author
BC hasn't beat MC in 15+ years. The answer is no.

 

What about Mason and Fleming? Mason has beat them 18 straight. I see a hole in your logic.

 

Edit: And I am not just talking one sport. Look at what has happened. Mason County is no longer dominating in everything. This may be just the start.

  • Author

This may not be a rivalry, but just a pure hatred. Most of the Bracken County folks say they hate MC the most.

Bracken Co. Seemed like there was always a home court feel about the regional games played there, like extra seconds ticked off the clock when Mason needed the game to end or vice versa if they needed more clock to score. Never knew the accuracy of those accusations. Seems like I remember some crazy clock problems in the 70's during regional games when Bracken boys had a very good team for a couple of years. I think it became more one sided on wins when they absorbed the Maysville Public Schools, which Maysville fought against, since they were truly their greatest rival until the consolidation. Don't know how things stand now but I do know that 39th District game at BCHS this year was hotly contested. Boys and girls teams.

 

I always thought that some of the powers that were sold them out.

 

Sorry to thread jack.

I always thought that some of the powers that were sold them out.

 

Sorry to thread jack.

 

I know it wasn't easily accomplished or welcomed. Same thing when Pendleton absorbed Falmouth Public Schools. Those ideas were hotly argued for an amount of time. Oh, well. Bigger is better. Just not for me. I like the small school feel, but makes it hard in competition.

  • Author

District seeding only intensifies the rivalry.

  • Author
BC hasn't beat MC in 15+ years. The answer is no.
That is a very typical Royal response. Care to elaborate? Mason County has beat their biggest dying rival Fleming County 18 times yet they are still rivals? It is hard to be a rivalry when you don't play in the post-season. Fleming isn't in the same district or region which is why the rivalry is going away. Mason County fans don want to accept the fact that a 1A school could be their rival. Like I said, this could be the start.
That is a very typical Royal response. Care to elaborate? Mason County has beat their biggest dying rival Fleming County 18 times yet they are still rivals? It is hard to be a rivalry when you don't play in the post-season. Fleming isn't in the same district or region which is why the rivalry is going away. Mason County fans don want to accept the fact that a 1A school could be their rival. Like I said, this could be the start.

 

This isn't a rivalry.. If you were apart of the Mason/Fleming rivalry in all sports you'd understand, its pure hatred when the games are being played and nothing but respect outside of sports.. As for the Bracken County people having hatred for MC, most people in Maysville couldn't care less.. we don't consider Bracken a rival, every 5-10 years there is always a wave where the 1A schools can compete with the bigger schools.

Not Really, they have the potential to bw, but have never been looked on as such. Mason's traditional rivals since the re alignment have been GRC, MoCo, and Harrison County. Bracken's have been Augusta, Robertson, St. Pat and Pendleton County. Hope that helps.

Short answer - no. Don't even play football against each other.

 

There's a difference between rivalry and hating what is perceived to be "big brother". While Mason is in the middle of the pack enrollment-wise in the 10th, they're "big brother" in the 39th.

 

Makes for a lot more fun when the smaller schools hit those cycles (like Augusta in basketball for the last few years) where they can take down the big boys.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.