Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Raceland 60 Greenup County 57

Featured Replies

Not apparently anymore Mcpapa, it once was I think. Like I said it used to be a premier spot in the 16th Region, but that all ended well over a decade ago.

 

Just wondering. The missus is originally from South Shore; would have attended McKell if her family hadn't moved to Maysville back in the day.

 

When I think of Greenup County tradition, I think of cheerleading.

Mcpapa through out the 80's and 90's GC pretty much owned their district and won 4 region championships when the 16 Region was a much more talent rich area.

Serious question. Is Greenup County considered to be "a big job"?

 

Not since the great Randy Ward baby! Coach Ward had it in the direction it needed to go..... exited with a lifetime of free wings and scenery! Love that guy!

For 15 or so years from 1981 to the mid to late 90's GC was a regional powerhouse . A trip to Morehead was not only expected but a semi final or final was expected every year. Those years . Those years right there are known as the Randy Ward era . Like him, hate him , doesnt matter . He won. Now it hurts to see families who grew up wearing the Green , Black and Gold send their kids to Russell , Raceland , Lewis co, Portsmouth Clay , Portsmouth Notre Dame etc etc . But I dont blame them at all. After being a GC guy for decades I still dont understand exactly who pulls the strings in Athletics up there . Its like whoever it is is like Lord Voltemort " he whose name cant' be spoken . Maybe its because his/her decisions have sucked swamp water and they dont want to own it .

 

The current situation is not so good , the assistant coach in hoops cant be the leader . I dont have the answer , they bring in out of the area folks and they fail, they have stayed local and they failed . The baseball team has this culture of winning , the football team and hops team just dont have it . It will take a STRONG leader to right those ships .

funny , bluechipper was typing the same thing thought I was !

Yes, without a doubt love him or hate him Ward knew how to win and this was when the 16th Region was by far a better region with much more talent. The 16th Region on the whole pales in comparrison to the 80's, 90's and really the first few years of the 2000's. Ward was a polarizing figure, but bottom line is he created a culture of winning and it was expected.

I loved how Coach Ward coached......expectations and consequences if you didn't meet those expectations.

 

They do not allow coaches like that in Kentucky anymore.

In Gc's defense the talent level hasn't been there in some of the more recent years. However, last year & this year talent level was at the top of the region IMO and where did that get them? District runner up & out of the 1st round of region last year and then this year ranked by most as a top 2 or 3 region team out during the district semi's. Talent is there, whether the problem is Tackett or not coaching at GC has lacked for quite awhile now. Alot of people that complain about Tackett also complain about the lack of consistencey in recent years. I'm not a Tackett fan but I will at least give him props for sticking around a few years unlike all the others whether they were ran off or quit on there own. As far as the Kidwell situation i agree that he helped the team this year in some aspects but at the same time you cant have what i considered CO-Head Coaches...Kids can't respond to both and do what both want, this i think i hurt in the long run. Is kidwell the right option? IDK..Is Tackett the right option?? I think he has had enough time to prove himsself, regular season doesn't matter when the postseason rolls around. Where does GC go from here?? Honestly, IMO I'm not sure they would get any big time applicants like they imagine, due to the distraught of the basketball program. If Tackett is to leave, I think they need to set back and think long & hard about the direction the program needs to go before the job is just handed over to kidwell.

  • Author

I think Coach Kidwell would be a great choice, but I don't they can make that happen.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.