Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Composite College Basketball Ranking

Featured Replies

They are in the RPI, which is what I believe Getslow was referring to with rankings...

 

Kenpom is being discussed. Kenpom is whats highlighted in his quote. He is referring to his own ranking and how it differs from RPI. I just read the blog.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kenpom is being discussed. Kenpom is whats highlighted in his quote. He is referring to his own ranking and how it differs from RPI. I just read the blog.

 

You're correct, I misread his post, but mcpapa's point remains. A 2 point home win over Michigan State is vastly more impressive than a 2 point road win over a Grand Canyon or Chattanooga.

You're correct, I misread his post, but mcpapa's point remains. A 2 point home win over Michigan State is vastly more impressive than a 2 point road win over a Grand Canyon or Chattanooga.

 

Good thing you read my post and saw where I agree although I never mentioned Grand Canyon.

  • Author

I'm sure everyone knows this already, but the RPI gives you credit for 1.4 wins with a road win and .6 wins for a home win. I get that you all probably know that already, but I just feel better saying it aloud.

I encourage all of you to go and read the blog post. He uses these numbers to divide wins into tiers. That's all I meant to suggest at first: that winning some games on the road makes them more noteworthy than winning a game against the same team at home.

 

Of course some of the single games are not equivalent... but look at my examples, a lot of them are. And that's exactly Pomeroy's point.

 

All wins over top 20 teams at home, top 50 teams on neutral sites, or top 90 wins on the road are all classified as Tier A wins for the purpose of examining resumes. That's literally all I was talking about.

I encourage all of you to go and read the blog post. He uses these numbers to divide wins into tiers. That's all I meant to suggest at first: that winning some games on the road makes them more noteworthy than winning a game against the same team at home.

 

Of course some of the single games are not equivalent... but look at my examples, a lot of them are. And that's exactly Pomeroy's point.

 

All wins over top 20 teams at home, top 50 teams on neutral sites, or top 90 wins on the road are all classified as Tier A wins for the purpose of examining resumes. That's literally all I was talking about.

 

Which exposes just how flawed his system is.

Which exposes just how flawed his system is.

 

Why? I find it fascinating when using the tiers to examine potential tournament resumes.

Why? I find it fascinating when using the tiers to examine potential tournament resumes.

 

Because for resume purposes it gives the same weight to a road win over Grand Canyon as it does a home win over Michigan State. If you don't see the flaw in that, I can't help you.

Because for resume purposes it gives the same weight to a road win over Grand Canyon as it does a home win over Michigan State. If you don't see the flaw in that, I can't help you.

 

It's a first glance tool, nothing more. It's interesting statistically speaking and gives a little insight into the difficulty in winning on the road in conference play. No need to read into it any more than that.

I'm mostly being facetious, but have you seen Grand Canyon's home court advantage?

That's a straw man argument because neither of those teams are top 90.

 

Depends on who you believe, I guess. Both are in the RPI top 90.

 

[TABLE=class: tablehead, width: 924]

[TR=class: oddrow team-41-2870]

[TD=align: left]85[/TD]

[TD=align: left]IPFW[/TD]

[TD=class: sortcell, align: right].5593[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15-6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]191[/TD]

[TD=align: right]81[/TD]

[TD=align: right]265[/TD]

[TD=align: right]74[/TD]

[TD=align: right]130[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10-2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]98[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]-3.7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]-0.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: evenrow team-41-2561]

[TD=align: left]86[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Siena[/TD]

[TD=class: sortcell, align: right].5588[/TD]

[TD=align: right]14-7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]169[/TD]

[TD=align: right]145[/TD]

[TD=align: right]75[/TD]

[TD=align: right]130[/TD]

[TD=align: right]227[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2-1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9-3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]145[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.9[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

 

And yes, I understand that we're not talking about identical populations.

 

I can't believe I'm agreeing with nerdboy. If you're a bubble team, is your home win over Michigan State a better argument for inclusion in the tourney than your road win over Grand Canyon (or Siena)? I say yes.

Depends on who you believe, I guess. Both are in the RPI top 90.

 

[TABLE=class: tablehead, width: 924]

[TR=class: oddrow team-41-2870]

[TD=align: left]85[/TD]

[TD=align: left]IPFW[/TD]

[TD=class: sortcell, align: right].5593[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15-6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]191[/TD]

[TD=align: right]81[/TD]

[TD=align: right]265[/TD]

[TD=align: right]74[/TD]

[TD=align: right]130[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10-2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]98[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]-3.7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]-0.2[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: evenrow team-41-2561]

[TD=align: left]86[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Siena[/TD]

[TD=class: sortcell, align: right].5588[/TD]

[TD=align: right]14-7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]169[/TD]

[TD=align: right]145[/TD]

[TD=align: right]75[/TD]

[TD=align: right]130[/TD]

[TD=align: right]227[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0-2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2-1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9-3[/TD]

[TD=align: right]145[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3.9[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0.2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4.1[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

 

And yes, I understand that we're not talking about identical populations.

 

I can't believe I'm agreeing with nerdboy. If you're a bubble team, is your home win over Michigan State a better argument for inclusion in the tourney than your road win over Grand Canyon (or Siena)? I say yes.

 

:irked: :lol2:

I think they are 5-10 and will be a 2 or 3 seed. They are Final Four caliber.

I might give you a run though on the fandom.

 

Current bracketology has X as the 1 seed in the Midwest

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.