Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Composite College Basketball Ranking

Featured Replies

Copying off LC Dawgs' poll in the H.S. Basketball forum, I thought it would be interesting to rank the Top 20 College Basketball Teams by using the 3 most prominent computer rankings (RPI, KenPom, and ESPN's BPI). I'll try and update it weekly, even though all 3 of those are updated daily.

 

1. Oklahoma (59 points)

2. North Carolina (53)

3. Villanova (52)

4. Iowa (48)

5. Louisville (40)

6. West Virginia (37)

7. Miami (FL) (35)

8. Virginia (35) [ties broken by team with the highest ranking in any of the 3 services]

9. Iowa State (32)

10. Xavier (30)

11. Texas A&M (30)

12. Maryland (28)

13. SMU (24)

14. Kansas (20)

15. Michigan State (17)

16. Oregon (16)

17. Arizona (14)

18. Purdue (14)

19. Duke (12)

20. Dayton (9)

 

Utah, Kentucky, and St. Mary's would have been the next three.

 

Thoughts? Should be interesting to watch as the meat of Conference season unfolds.

 

I still think Kansas and North Carolina are the best two teams in the country.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to nit pick but has Louisville beat a Sure fire NCAA tourney team all year?

  • Author
Not to nit pick but has Louisville beat a Sure fire NCAA tourney team all year?

 

Who are you nicpicking? I'm just taking the data from the 3 computer sites and compiling them.

 

To answer your question, maybe not. However, with UVA, UNC, Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse (bubble), Duke, Miami, and UVA still left, they will eliminate that issue in short order.

Who are you nicpicking? I'm just taking the data from the 3 computer sites and compiling them.

 

 

 

To answer your question, maybe not. However, with UVA, UNC, Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse (bubble), Duke, Miami, and UVA still left, they will eliminate that issue in short order.

 

 

Ranked 5th is what I'm referring to as Nitpicking.

Copying off LC Dawgs' poll in the H.S. Basketball forum, I thought it would be interesting to rank the Top 20 College Basketball Teams by using the 3 most prominent computer rankings (RPI, KenPom, and ESPN's BPI). I'll try and update it weekly, even though all 3 of those are updated daily.

 

1. Oklahoma (59 points)

2. North Carolina (53)

3. Villanova (52)

4. Iowa (48)

5. Louisville (40)

6. West Virginia (37)

7. Miami (FL) (35)

8. Virginia (35) [ties broken by team with the highest ranking in any of the 3 services]

9. Iowa State (32)

10. Xavier (30)

11. Texas A&M (30)

12. Maryland (28)

13. SMU (24)

14. Kansas (20)

15. Michigan State (17)

16. Oregon (16)

17. Arizona (14)

18. Purdue (14)

19. Duke (12)

20. Dayton (9)

 

Utah, Kentucky, and St. Mary's would have been the next three.

 

Thoughts? Should be interesting to watch as the meat of Conference season unfolds.

 

I still think Kansas and North Carolina are the best two teams in the country.

 

You'll be hearing from my legal team.

  • Author

Maryland and Oregon got huge wins last night, Oregon's on the road at Arizona, snapping their long home winning streak.

 

Expect the Terps to rise next week, the Ducks to move way up, and Arizona to drop.

 

Some great games this weekend!! On Saturday you have UK at KU, UVA at UL, Iowa St. at A&M, Providence at Georgetown, and Oklahoma at LSU. On Sunday we have Maryland at Ohio State, and a bevy of average games with a little intrigue. Should be some movement in all 3 rankings (and this one) by Monday.

It is interesting to me that Xavier is RPI #3 but then #13 and #14 in the other 2.

  • Author
It is interesting to me that Xavier is RPI #3 but then #13 and #14 in the other 2.

 

I think the other two are a lot closer to accurate. :sssh:

 

And a bigger Xavier fan on this site there doesn't exist. Trust me.

I think the other two are a lot closer to accurate. :sssh:

 

And a bigger Xavier fan on this site there doesn't exist. Trust me.

 

Truth, but you also said you thought they'd lose to Providence Tuesday, and Marquette a couple weekends ago, so....;)

 

Pretty sure it was Dakich last night during the Iowa/Maryland game that said X might just be the best team in the country. :idunno:

  • Author
Truth, but you also said you thought they'd lose to Providence Tuesday, and Marquette a couple weekends ago, so....;)

 

 

I did...and glad I was wrong.

I like this MTGL.

 

I'm nerding out over here. :lol2:

 

I always enjoy it when folks step way out of character.

You'll be hearing from my legal team.

 

 

animatedbigbad4.gif

I loved the piece KenPom put on his blog about "tiered" wins the other day. He talked about how he adjusts for the location of the game (which the RPI doesn't do) and suggested that his stats show that beating a top-90 team on the road is roughly equivalent to beating a top-50 team on a neutral floor or a top-20 team at home.

 

In Louisville's case, it suggests that the road wins over NC State and Georgia Tech are as impressive or more impressive than the home beatdowns of Pitt and Florida State.

 

Ultimately what KenPom's numbers always like about Louisville is the schedule-adjusted defense. Louisville is 6th there. And unlike last year, the numbers favor the adjusted offense as well, coming in 22nd.

 

Ultimately they're interesting tools but don't mean much until late February when you've played through the meat of your schedule and they can tell us something about what we might be able to look for come conference and national tournaments.

I think the other two are a lot closer to accurate. :sssh:

 

And a bigger Xavier fan on this site there doesn't exist. Trust me.

I think they are 5-10 and will be a 2 or 3 seed. They are Final Four caliber.

I might give you a run though on the fandom.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.