Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Simon Kenton 78 Scott 75

Featured Replies

Could not make this one, but judging by the score, the girls got up and down the court!

I'm not sure if it was the tempo or the fact that the refs always called fouls on the defense when the offensive player was driving to the basket. Way to much dropping your head running at the basket throwing the ball in the air (not shooting) out of control something of basketball moves. Defenses didn't have a chance in this one.

Very very sloppy

Disagree. SK plays sloppy and aggressive defense not much different than last year. Scott's athleticism forces those opportunities to either choose to give up the drive or foul. I felt like it was a well called game. Not perfect but we'll called.

By contrast Scott forced multiple long SK possessions. To SK's credit they shot well and were able to take advantage of Scott's two missing SR's and get the ball to the post frequently. All in all a great game to watch. Love to see them meet again with everyone healthy.

I'm not sure I referenced a team. Your comments suggest I was referring to one team

 

What is bad about the game right now is the officials that simply don't know how to call a game. Especially on the girls side. Athleticism doesn't force any team to give up a foul or drive. It may pressure a defense to cut driving lanes off and give up jumpers by collapsing the defense or pressure other areas. I will say that I don't think Scott's athleticism at all overwhelmed sk. Really didn't see much of an advantage for any player on the floor to be honest I though Scott was more aggressive in trying to get to the rim. But then again Scott played a 1 3. 1 nearly entire game that limits driving opportunities for the offense and forces a team to be a little more patient.

 

Referees that allow players to two step directly at a basket and literally jump into the defender makes for a terrible called game and sloppy called game. Two steps is a walk and not a euro step, the defender has a right to their spot and is not a defensive foul when the offense initiates contact and players just bull rush their way to the goal.

 

I would love to see a shot chart because it would be interesting to see how many close range shots were missed. It seems the offensive players mind set was to initiate contact while making the shot was secondary.

 

Not enjoyable at all to watch and does nothing to prepare teams for when it counts.

Better crews will make the proper calls and then parents and players will think they did an awful job when they actually called a correct game I can assure you this crew will not fair well in their evaluations

I'm not sure I referenced a team. Your comments suggest I was referring to one team

 

What is bad about the game right now is the officials that simply don't know how to call a game. Especially on the girls side. Athleticism doesn't force any team to give up a foul or drive. It may pressure a defense to cut driving lanes off and give up jumpers by collapsing the defense or pressure other areas. I will say that I don't think Scott's athleticism at all overwhelmed sk. Really didn't see much of an advantage for any player on the floor to be honest I though Scott was more aggressive in trying to get to the rim. But then again Scott played a 1 3. 1 nearly entire game that limits driving opportunities for the offense and forces a team to be a little more patient.

 

Referees that allow players to two step directly at a basket and literally jump into the defender makes for a terrible called game and sloppy called game. Two steps is a walk and not a euro step, the defender has a right to their spot and is not a defensive foul when the offense initiates contact and players just bull rush their way to the goal.

 

I would love to see a shot chart because it would be interesting to see how many close range shots were missed. It seems the offensive players mind set was to initiate contact while making the shot was secondary.

 

Not enjoyable at all to watch and does nothing to prepare teams for when it counts.

Better crews will make the proper calls and then parents and players will think they did an awful job when they actually called a correct game I can assure you this crew will not fair well in their evaluations

 

What's great about the SK loyal is their love of a well-refereed game, but that never happens....Lose, blame the refs. Win, blame the refs. While a step back in time to the Naismith peach basket rules of basketball may satisfy some traditionalists, "the game right now" is just a little different and is called different at all levels(not just the girls game) than back in the day. Euro steps(and please help us define that, because what you saw last night from both Niece and Clephane were Euro steps) are a part of the game, and yeah, there are two steps. Defensive contact last night was not called on drives more than it was called.

 

You say that game was not enjoyable to watch. What would please you? That was fun, as was last years game. These two teams clearly want to take it to each other and are giving 100%. They're running the floor and landing hard on the floor. You've got starters dissing opposing coaches on the pre-game handshakes, and you have players giving it Jim Harbaugh backslaps after the game. That's a lot of fun in my book. Can't wait till next year!

 

But let's review your keys to the game from the previous thread....you had it pretty much down.

 

Sk

Limit Scott transition points and force them into jump shooters Scott had much less transitional opportunities than they should have-Stapleton and Wagner had pretty good nights from outside

Limit drives to basket ----Clephane and Sechrist's athleticism was a real problem for SK in the first half. SK ultimately switched multiple players to chase Clephane around the court

Move the ball on offense; to many open players not getting the ball thought this was ok, but it still is and still will be "the show"

Rebound and attackBuckner should want to play this team every game! Career highs(?) in both points and rebounds. Made the difference in the final outcome

 

Scott

Prevent niece from getting into the lane not good. way too many easy ones for Niece

Try to create turnovers with pressure and convert them to points should have gone full court from the outset. I get not doing if as they too thin on the bench

Rebound ---not good, and a real Achilles heal for this team

Allow Sk to be one dimensional on offensive end which will limit their offensive output----the lack of interior defense, coupled with their lack of rebounding is a real opportunity for improvement

Again.....can't wait till next year!

  • Author
I'm not sure I referenced a team. Your comments suggest I was referring to one team

 

What is bad about the game right now is the officials that simply don't know how to call a game. Especially on the girls side. Athleticism doesn't force any team to give up a foul or drive. It may pressure a defense to cut driving lanes off and give up jumpers by collapsing the defense or pressure other areas. I will say that I don't think Scott's athleticism at all overwhelmed sk. Really didn't see much of an advantage for any player on the floor to be honest I though Scott was more aggressive in trying to get to the rim. But then again Scott played a 1 3. 1 nearly entire game that limits driving opportunities for the offense and forces a team to be a little more patient.

 

Referees that allow players to two step directly at a basket and literally jump into the defender makes for a terrible called game and sloppy called game. Two steps is a walk and not a euro step, the defender has a right to their spot and is not a defensive foul when the offense initiates contact and players just bull rush their way to the goal.

 

I would love to see a shot chart because it would be interesting to see how many close range shots were missed. It seems the offensive players mind set was to initiate contact while making the shot was secondary.

 

Not enjoyable at all to watch and does nothing to prepare teams for when it counts.

Better crews will make the proper calls and then parents and players will think they did an awful job when they actually called a correct game I can assure you this crew will not fair well in their evaluations

 

This!

 

I have been saying this for three years now. Officiating in the girls game is just awful. Perimeter touch fouls called, under the basket muggings ignored. Fouls called on rebounders going strait up. Blocks called on stationary defenders.

 

Do the boy's games get assigned all the good officials, and the girls games get all the probationary officials?

It was definitely a sloppy game but I found it rather enjoyable. Definitely a lot of emotion involved in the game. SK didn't play particularly good or hard in the first half which showed up on the scoreboard. Niece tried to do a little too much in the first half but played in a much better flow the second half. Scott didn't maintain their first half emotion in the second half and SK out-scrapped them; especially Buckner coming up with loose balls and looking to score.

 

Both teams are loaded with young talent and will be fun to watch for the next several years. How much fun would it be to see them match up in a post season tourney state game.

 

As far as officiating goes; if you haven't seen an 8th Region game, you would probably find it hard to understand why SK fans complain so frequently. The officials are not nearly as good as what the 9th offers. The 8th used to have a few good ones but they have either moved on to other regions or are doing KIAC games etc. It simply is not good but that's the way it is.

SCOTT

Clephane 11-6-29

Wagner 3-1-7

Davis 1-2-4

Brown 1-0-2

Stapleton 7-7-24

Secrist 3-1-7

Profit 1-0-2

 

SK

Stamper 3-0-6

Gilliam 1-2-5

Neace 9-10-29

Buckner 7-2-17

Meier 5-2-12

Dressman 3-2-9

Carp Diem... I'm not sure I referenced a benefit for either team. Believe me I think one particular SK player benefits enormously from driving to the basket have fouls called and getting to the line. Most of the time offense initiates the contact.

 

That said... I don't think that is the correct call. I saw a whole lot of that last night and I will say again. Its not the correct call. Officials need to educate themselves by not being afraid to ask their peers, peer coach or head official how they should approach an offensive player driving into the lane and initiating contact. Your better crews do not and will not fall for it. When these teams get into the important games with good crews they simply struggle because they have developed some very poor habits.

 

By the way, you made my point for me. The Euro step is not two steps and two steps are a walk. So if that is what you saw. Then you agree with me. Two steps is a walk. Please look it up in the rule book. That rule hasn't changed for many many year. The Euro is very unique and most kids do not perform it properly and therefore the bad officials allow kids to take two giant steps before shooting. Should be a walk every time.

And no... I don't enjoy watching a kid drive into the lane out of control and simply throwing the ball in the air hoping to have a foul called. I'm good if they are under control and take and actual shot.

I'm not sure if it was the tempo or the fact that the refs always called fouls on the defense when the offensive player was driving to the basket. Way to much dropping your head running at the basket throwing the ball in the air (not shooting) out of control something of basketball moves. Defenses didn't have a chance in this one.

Very very sloppy

 

Note: I wasn't at this this game so I am not commenting on this particular game.

 

There is no rule in the book that says that foul rules are ignored if the offensive player is "out of control." It's still up to the D to not foul. You say the player jumped into the defender. Still doesn't mean it's not a foul on the defender simply because the offensive player "initiated contact."

 

Was there LGP? Was the defender coming forward at the point of contact? Where were the defender's hands?

 

Out of control offensive players still have to be legally guarded.

 

Again, you could be 100% correct about this game. My comment is aimed at the "how can you reward an out of control player" thinking.

I don't know how anyone can say that that was not an enjoyable game to watch. It's high school basketball. These were two evenly matched teams that were both very competitive and played hard for the entire game. No game is going to be perfectly officiated, no game is going to be without mistakes, bobbles, blunders. This was not a blow out, it was not slow and boring. It was a fun, up tempo, high scoring game, and no one was badly hurt. These are all good girls playing a game they love, many of whom have played together for years. It was an exciting game. Parents should have enjoyed watching and be very proud of their daughters efforts.

Note: I wasn't at this this game so I am not commenting on this particular game.

 

There is no rule in the book that says that foul rules are ignored if the offensive player is "out of control." It's still up to the D to not foul. You say the player jumped into the defender. Still doesn't mean it's not a foul on the defender simply because the offensive player "initiated contact."

 

Was there LGP? Was the defender coming forward at the point of contact? Where were the defender's hands?

 

Out of control offensive players still have to be legally guarded.

 

Again, you could be 100% correct about this game. My comment is aimed at the "how can you reward an out of control player" thinking.

 

Clyde great point. I didn't mean to incline that the player should not have been the recipient of a foul because they were out of control. Poorly worded on my part. I'm trying to say that when you have an offensive player purposely running into the defensive player, who is in a LGP and makes no effort to block the shot, isn't moving etc... and is simply ran into, then that player shouldn't be awarded a foul. Is that a fair assessment?

Personally, I think first option is no call should be made; play on. Second option is offensive charging. I do not believe the offensive foul should be awarded with foul shots.

I agree 100% that just because an offensive player may be out of control or appear out of control does not constitute that they cannot be fouled.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.