New York Jets 26 New England 20

Surprised there wasn't a thread on this one, due to how it ended.

I didn't get to watch much, but how in all that is holy do you win the toss in OT and kick it off?? Complete and total brain cramp on Slater's part.

Gotta find some semblance of a running game going forward. The bye week will be a huge benefit to help SJax get into football shape and more familiar with the playbook. Amendola and Edelman should both be back by then as well. Hopefully, Chung and McCourtey too.

Is it being reported that Belichick is covering for Slater? In the press conference I thought it was the coach's desire to kick?

I guess the rationale would be that the Patriots were not moving the ball much at all, and had only put up one offensive touchdown. And another OL was lost during the game. I also thought it was odd the Patriots took a knee to end regulation instead of attempting to get in field goal range with a timeout (or two, can't remember) remaining.

Many conspiracy theorists believe Hoodie got word that the Steelers lost towards the end of regulation. To keep Big Ben out of the playoffs, the Jets needed to win so the Patriots folded. As it presently stands the AFC QBs in the playoffs would be Brady, McCarron, Osweiler, Weeden, Fitzpatrick, and Smith. I don't care how many injuries the Patriots have, that is a decided advantage. I wouldn't put it past him.

Many conspiracy theorists believe Hoodie got word that the Steelers lost towards the end of regulation. To keep Big Ben out of the playoffs, the Jets needed to win so the Patriots folded. As it presently stands the AFC QBs in the playoffs would be Brady, McCarron, Osweiler, Weeden, Fitzpatrick, and Smith. I don't care how many injuries the Patriots have, that is a decided advantage. I wouldn't put it past him.
I don't believe that for a second.

They did not lose the game on purpose. That's just ridiculous to even give a shred of credibility to...

It is. But with how the game unfolded by taking a knee then awkwardly botching the coin flip, I can see why people would chirp about it. Personally, I think Belichick gets caught up in his own mystique sometimes and tries to be the smartest guy in the room - which he normally is - and wants to say, "watch this." When you have 4 rings in your pocket and (arguably) the best QB ever, you have more room to take those type risks and not look foolish. Imagine had that been Marvin Lewis. :lol2:

^I get what you're saying about Belichick. I do understand his reasoning, but I don't think it really went down that way. I think Slater messed up, and he's simply taking the heat for one of his best, veteran players.

The D had been pretty good near the end of regulation, so in theory if you kick it, force a 3 and out, you probably end up at around the 35-40 yard line and only need 25-30 yards to win it. You take the kick and you most likely need 45-50 yards to go ahead, and 80 to win it outright. With the injuries to the offense, I get it. Still no chance I make a decision that leaves for the possibility that the GOAT doesn't touch the ball in OT. :idunno:

According to Peter Smith, hoodie told the ref before the coin toss they were going to kick. That's why the ref asked slater when they won the toss if they were going to kick instead of what would you like to do. The confusion on Slater was if they get to choose which goal to defend.

If it wasn't Hoodies decision when asked about Slater wouldn't he have just said, "Ask him"...seems that's what he did a few months ago when a players actions were being questioned.

:lol2: That's what he did when the NFL decided to go on a witch-hunt...

Yesterday he did exactly what both he and Brady have done every single time since they've been there.