Covington Catholic 3 Henry Clay 0

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to CovCath! They were definitely the better team on Saturday! I thought Henry Clay was the more technical team but CovCath was the more dynamic. The difference in the game to me was that the attacking players for CovCath were more effective against the HC backline than vice versa. Not too terribly surprising as HC has a great midfield and back line, but their attack is not overwhelming. I was disappointed that Henry Clay never tried something different offensively as what they did all game long was not working.

It is kind of nice that the championship has rotated the past 4 years - Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, and NKY. Parity is good for the state and the sport. Better than when St. X was winning every single year. Still I'm kind of surprised there are no CovCath people on here saying how the win wasn't pretty enough or something! haha

So who is the early favorite for 2016?

I'm not sure anyone could find any fault with how CCH played in this game. Henry Clay has a very good midfield and so does CCH. Rose was very good for HC and Day was equally as good for CCH and overall, I'd say the midfield play for both teams basically cancelled each other out. The difference in this game was at the front and back. The two strikers for CCH (Lamb and Litzler) were relentless in this game and when given the opportunity, put the ball in the net. The finish by Litzler of the ball driven across by Lamb for the first goal was a high degree of difficulty and was perfectly taken. The quick combo play between the same two players that resulted in goal number two was exactly what they needed to do to unlock a good HC defense.

On the other end, the CCH defense was under heavy pressure early in the game but never conceded and showed why they are quite simply the best defensive team in CCH history and I believe in N. Kentucky history. Giving that defense a 3 goal margin was just money in the bank.

Regarding 2016, the Colonels may be a year away although they return a good core of current juniors and will add a very strong class of current sophomores. I see them at the top of the 9th region again next fall.

Stepover, I'm wondering if you finally got an answer to the question (see below) you asked about 3 weeks ago before regionals started? Calling out a team sometimes helps provide extra motivation so thanks for that. I'd say it's been asked and answered wouldn't you?

"The big question in my head is will Cov Cath choke again?"

Yes!!!! very exciting to see them live up to their expectations for the first time ever in CCH history! in all of NKY history at that! Being an all boys private school I can't believe this is the first state title win. However like I said way to represent NKY!!!! comgradulatioms!!!! nothing but positivity in that but I know you would look for something negative of course.

Still think last year's CCH team was better? Talent level in the 9th region is poor........the whole state is down in fact I think you said right? All those comments belittling the fact they were in the finals? And you are the arbiter of class? Smh

None of that is relevant to my comment... Just stated a few CovCath supporters need to win with a little more class... Glad the trophy is in NKY

To the CCH team...thanks for believing you could win it all...the key to your win was the pk games vs Highlands and Ryle...that was the sign that you were mentally tough and the reason the other CCH teams never made it. CONGRATS and so proud!

Being an all boys private school I can't believe this is the first state title.

nothing but positivity in that but I know you would look for something negative of course.

I take your first quoted sentence above as a negative comment at CCH.

I take your second quoted sentence above as making an excuss before you are even accussed, which is the definition of being guilty.

If it was not meant to be negative, a hit on cch, please explain what you mean by your first quoted sentence above.

Edited by MentschTrachtGottLacht
Fixed Quotation Box

To the CCH team...thanks for believing you could win it all...the key to your win was the pk games vs Highlands and Ryle...that was the sign that you were mentally tough and the reason the other CCH teams never made it. CONGRATS and so proud!

Agreed. A mentally tough team with a great will to win.

I went to the game and thought after the first 10 minutes CCH looked tight and was in for a long night. CCH seemed tentative and on their heels. Henry Clay was pounding the ball down CCH's throat but could not get the ball in the goal. CCH never quit, stayed disciplined, and kept hustling to ball. Then CCH scored the game momentum shifted. Henry Clay seemed thrown off by CCH's physical play. CCH was technical but still played physical too. CCH were a very physically mature team at every position and did not lose anything when subs came in. Henry Clay did not have the depth of CCH. CCH was able to turn back every offensive threat Henry Clay mustered. I saw Henry Clay play earlier in the season and they were able to create a lot of offensive pressure with their defense. CCH did an excellent job of preventing that as the game wore on. I have to say that I was impressed with CCH's finishing. What I remember of the goals- all were low and a post rather than right down the middle. Excellent placement and excellent touches to place the balls. Congratulations CCH!

Yes!!!! very exciting to see them live up to their expectations for the first time ever in CCH history! in all of NKY history at that! Being an all boys private school I can't believe this is the first state title win. However like I said way to represent NKY!!!! comgradulatioms!!!! nothing but positivity in that but I know you would look for something negative of course.

Yeah, not hard to see the "something negative" in your posts. :bunny:

I take your first quoted sentence above as a negative comment at CCH.

I take your second quoted sentence above as making an excuss before you are even accussed, which is the definition of being guilty.

If it was not meant to be negative, a hit on cch, please explain what you mean by your first quoted sentence above.

Actually my first post was " Congrats CCH!!! way to represent NKY!!! ".... But then someone couldn't take that positive encouragement without trying to be smart and turn it into something negative.

Leaving this here as this was my first post.... if you find something negative, please let me know.

I do not think anyone has called your original post in this thread negative.

The point of contention, is the comment that you made some time ago. It seems like once you were called out on the "will CCH choke again" comment you did go another route.

FYI... Most people tend to take backhanded comments as an attempt to hide negativity.