Huge fire in Bucharest nightclub kills dozens

SportsGuy41017

Death toll expected to rise a bit.

Some on here know that I go to Bucharest quite a bit, I've been to this night club a couple of times with friends, it's not what I would have called safe. (ALWAYS look for all of the exits and several escape routes as soon as you walk into ANY building).

The cause was a pyrotechnic show at the concert. A few years back there was a big one in the US with the same cause, how many people died there?

I have been informed that one person that I know was there and is missing.

Romania declares national mourning over nightclub fire - Al Jazeera English

Over 20,000 people in Bucharest protested this evening after the night club fire. There is corruption going over the tragic event, no one is being held accountable, and the public is ticked. There are a lot of anti-government people in Romania, this may be what gets the Romanians out to protest in mass to again force change.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2015/11/03/the-latest-bucharest-nightclub-fire-hero-buried

3 of the clubs owners have ben arrested and charged with manslaughter, the death toll is up to 31 now.

The arrest are not because the powers to be are outraged (as they were trying there hardest to do nothing), but the huge outcry over the lack of action and suspicion of bribes to keep people out of prison got their attention that they may be in the line of fire and want it to appear that they are "with the public".

Death toll expected to rise a bit.

Some on here know that I go to Bucharest quite a bit, I've been to this night club a couple of times with friends, it's not what I would have called safe. (ALWAYS look for all of the exits and several escape routes as soon as you walk into ANY building).

The cause was a pyrotechnic show at the concert. A few years back there was a big one in the US with the same cause, how many people died there?

I have been informed that one person that I know was there and is missing.

Romania declares national mourning over nightclub fire - Al Jazeera English

The US one was the Station Nightclub fire in New Jersey. Killed 100 I believe. Same cause.

There is a video of that fire on youtube. It's extremely painful to watch but I will never go into a club/bar/restaurant without knowing where my exit is and checking if it has sprinklers.

There are photos of the Bucharest fire that are very disturbing and too graphic to post, they are of many of the dead still inside the club, and burnt. But I think those photos may have helped start the outcry for change.

I love Bucharest but there is a lot of corruption, a few years ago they cut the pay for public workers a lot as well as the pensions, so just about any employee can be bribed.

There was talk that the owners of the club paid off elected employees and inspectors to get around code violations, and the capacity of the club during the fire was about 2 times what it should have been. There were supposably phone calls after the fire trying to work out a deal which really set off the public.

Situational awareness! Tell your kids to know where all exits are as well as soon as they walk in any place. The sad thing here is there was only one small entrance/exit, just less than half of the people at the club were either killed (32 now) or injured (over 130).

At what point should pyrotechnics indoors be against the law? In my opinion we are already WAY past that. Very sad.

Very good question. It should depend on a few things, such as the material around the pyrotechnics. Just in front of this stage was foam padding on the beams to the ceiling, which is what was ignited and caused the fire, after it started they said that almost the entire ceiling was on fire about 5 seconds later.

There is now a huge rally / protest scheduled for December 1, which is a big holiday there, as its National Day.