Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Warren 38 Warren Central 6

Featured Replies

They could always go play for Warren Central or Greenwood. I believe their starters starters may stay on the field for the majority of their games. I could be mistaken though.

 

Seriously though, I am a big proponent of scoring as many points as you can regardless of the opponent or time on the clock. At the same time I understand why many teams pump the brakes. Especially teams that have aspirations of playing into December. I can't say I blame any coach for pulling his starters to avoid season changing injuries and I also appreciate the strategy of getting other players experience just in case someone does get hurt. I understand your point about scholarships but if a kid is only using game tapes and game stats to get a scholarship then that may be a problem within itself. All of the kids I know that have played football and gotten scholarships to play did a whole lot more than use game tapes and game stats to receive those scholarships.

 

I get your point but I think it is unfair to the coaches to have that burden of choosing garbage time stats for a kid's scholarship over the overall team's future success.

 

I agree that it can be a tough decision for a coach because at the end of the day their goal is to win games. But having coached sports for many years myself at a very high level, I also understand the importance of doing what it takes to ensure the success of my players after they leave my team. You are correct in stating that it takes a lot more than game film to be recruited, but you are incorrect in believing that is what I am referring to. I am referring to tangible statistics. I have spoken to many college coaches personally, and regardless of common opinion, coaches tell me STATS DO MATTER. Coaches want to know how many receptions, carries, tackles, yards, etc a player has per game because this speaks to their overall effectiveness/importance on a football field. As good as SW is, compare their players statistics to those of any other Top 5 team in the State, and you will see a huge difference. SW has, arguably, the #1 Linebacker in the State right now, and he doesn't have a Single D-1 offer yet ??(Yes, there is nothing wrong with D2 and etc, but he is easily D1.... )

 

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that most of these kids are playing football to earn a College scholarship. Therefore it is wrong of any coaching staff at any school to want their players to give them 110% commitment over the course of 4 years and sacrifice their own individual needs for the betterment of the team, but not do your part as a coach to put your SENIORS in a position to go to school for free. Some may disagree, but IMO, coaches first responsibility is taking care of their athletes.

  • Replies 60
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like to me PurplePride might be on the campaign trail to try and get your alls coach. Be on the look out!!

 

 

If you all don't want him he'd be welcome back here in Boyle County when his father decides he is done coaching. We'd LOVE to see Brandon back on the sidelines in Boyle County.

I agree that it can be a tough decision for a coach because at the end of the day they are their to win games. Having coached sports for many years myself at a very high level, I also understand the importance of doing what it takes to ensure the success of my players after they leave my team. You are correct in stating that it takes a lot more than game film to be recruited, but you are incorrect in believing that is what I am referring to. I am referring to tangible statistics. I have spoken to many college coaches personally, and regardless of common opinion, STATS DO MATTER. Coaches want to know how many receptions, carries, tackles, yards, etc a player has per game because this speaks to their overall effectiveness/importance on a football field. As good as SW is, compare their players statistics to those of any other Top 5 team in the State, and you will see a huge difference. SW has, arguably, the #1 Linebacker in the State right now, and he doesn't have a Single D-1 offer yet ??(Yes, there is nothing wrong with D2 and etc, but he is easily D1.... )

 

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that most of these kids are playing football to earn a College scholarship. Therefore it is wrong of any coaching staff at any school to want their players to give them 110% commitment over the course of 4 years and sacrifice their own individual needs for the betterment of the team, but not do your part as a coach to put your SENIORS in a position to go to school for free. Some may disagree, but IMO, coaches first responsibility is taking care of their athletes.

 

Taking care of their athletes can take on many meanings. He could leave players in for showcasing and when the QB heaves that 60 yard bomb to showcase his arm strength when they are up 40 points and have a running clock could cause that QB to become a target of a Charles Martin/Jim McMahon takedown and then the QB's season could be over. I'd hope that there was enough showcasing of athletes while getting the score up to a running clock would be suffice. As soon as a star player gets hurt while still on the field when up 40 you can guarantee that the coach is going to hear about that as well.

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that most of these kids are playing football to earn a College scholarship.
If that is the reason they are playing 99% of them are going to leave disappointed.
If that is the reason they are playing 99% of them are going to leave disappointed.

 

 

Agreed. And apparently that will be the fault of the coach.

Taking care of their athletes can take on many meanings. He could leave players in for showcasing and when the QB heaves that 60 yard bomb to showcase his arm strength when they are up 40 points and have a running clock could cause that QB to become a target of a Charles Martin/Jim McMahon takedown and then the QB's season could be over. I'd hope that there was enough showcasing of athletes while getting the score up to a running clock would be suffice. As soon as a star player gets hurt while still on the field when up 40 you can guarantee that the coach is going to hear about that as well.

 

Players that play contact sports get hurt. Doesn't matter whether it's first quarter or the last quarter. Most of South Warrens injuries took place against Central Hardin in the 1st or 2nd Quarter, so length of time they play is irrelevant....

If that is the reason they are playing 99% of them are going to leave disappointed.

 

Maybe on an average high school team, but these guys are not average. Most of their starters have the ability to play College football whether D1, D1 AA, D2, etc....

Players that play contact sports get hurt. Doesn't matter whether it's first quarter or the last quarter. Most of South Warrens injuries took place against Central Hardin in the 1st or 2nd Quarter, so length of time they play is irrelevant....

 

 

I'm talking about being intentionally hurt. Not just getting injured. I'm talking about a code red being put on a player because of the score being ran up. Games get out of hand quickly when teams think another team is trying to humiliate them. Boyle County's kicker got a red card in a soccer game and was suspended for the football game on Friday so Boyle had to go for two every time they scored. The other team got mad and starting committing personal fouls so Boyle starting taking a knee on two point conversions to try to keep things calm. Emotions happen when folks feel slighted whether the slight is real or perceived.

I agree that it can be a tough decision for a coach because at the end of the day their goal is to win games. But having coached sports for many years myself at a very high level, I also understand the importance of doing what it takes to ensure the success of my players after they leave my team. You are correct in stating that it takes a lot more than game film to be recruited, but you are incorrect in believing that is what I am referring to. I am referring to tangible statistics. I have spoken to many college coaches personally, and regardless of common opinion, coaches tell me STATS DO MATTER. Coaches want to know how many receptions, carries, tackles, yards, etc a player has per game because this speaks to their overall effectiveness/importance on a football field. As good as SW is, compare their players statistics to those of any other Top 5 team in the State, and you will see a huge difference. SW has, arguably, the #1 Linebacker in the State right now, and he doesn't have a Single D-1 offer yet ??(Yes, there is nothing wrong with D2 and etc, but he is easily D1.... )

 

At the end of the day, all I am saying is that most of these kids are playing football to earn a College scholarship. Therefore it is wrong of any coaching staff at any school to want their players to give them 110% commitment over the course of 4 years and sacrifice their own individual needs for the betterment of the team, but not do your part as a coach to put your SENIORS in a position to go to school for free. Some may disagree, but IMO, coaches first responsibility is taking care of their athletes.

 

In the modern day should be an easy fix? I would think its simple data analysis. Put the stats in perspective to minutes played. We all have the technology, excel will even make it beautiful. if you are playing 50% less mintutes than another recruit but your production is only 25% less that speaks for itself. If you know you are going to have a strong team with a weak schedule then a good coach will get good recruits to top tier (i understand this also involves $$$ from parents) camps and invite in recruiters for added exposure beyond second half stats.

I am in NO way arguing just thinking there are ways to make it work while not risking injury.

South is a great team but likes not jump ahead like there a lock for the championship games have to be played and I believe there gonna run into a bump on there way to the playoffs!

Maybe on an average high school team, but these guys are not average. Most of their starters have the ability to play College football whether D1, D1 AA, D2, etc....
South has 1 player that will get a legitimate football scholarship. That is Colton. The rest are very good HS players that will play below the FCS level. Which means they will be paying to play.

I agree with Tyler10 . I think there is a way of showing production/minutes played . But until then you have got consider the players future . Not just the teams. I wonder how hard SW practices are . Will they be ready for a fourth quarter battle . Because it IS coming !

South has 1 player that will get a legitimate football scholarship. That is Colton. The rest are very good HS players that will play below the FCS level. Which means they will be paying to play.

 

Just the Fact that you made that statement means you know absolutely nothing about this team or College Football.... Please do your research.:ohbrother:

Please enlighten us to these D1 players the Spartans have.....

I agree with Tyler10 . I think there is a way of showing production/minutes played . But until then you have got consider the players future . Not just the teams. I wonder how hard SW practices are . Will they be ready for a fourth quarter battle . Because it IS coming !

 

 

Thank you for bringing 4th Qtr experience and Stamina into the conversation. A point that I had missed on. I believe that was a huge factor in Souths loss to Central last year in the Semi Final. Starters were not used to playing those extended minutes.

 

I am in no way saying that every starter should play every play regardless of the score, but what most of you all do not realize is in 3-4 games starters have been benched 6-7 minutes into the 2nd Quarter. And most other games they have not played after halftime. I love the fact that the team is winning, but there is more to football than JUST FOOTBALL. Gotta take care of the human factor...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.