Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Straight from High School to the NFL?

Featured Replies

I would like to see the rule/practice reduced from three years to two years, that sounds about right to me.

 

I disagree, I like the 3 years from HS rule. Should be that way in Basketball too, but never will.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

 

"University of Mars"[edit]

During a Monday Night Football telecast, a television camera beamed a sideline shot of the 6'5", 265-pound Sistrunk's steaming bald head to the nation. That, along with his lack of a college education resulting in the team program listing Sistrunk's academic background as "U.S. Mars" (short for U.S. Marines), prompted ABC commentator and ex-NFL player Alex Karras to suggest that the extraterrestrial-looking Sistrunk's alma mater was from the "University of Mars."[7]

I disagree, I like the 3 years from HS rule. Should be that way in Basketball too, but never will.

 

Do you feel the same way in other industry? Should all kids coming out of high school be forced to attend 3 years of college before finding full-time employment?

"University of Mars"[edit]

During a Monday Night Football telecast, a television camera beamed a sideline shot of the 6'5", 265-pound Sistrunk's steaming bald head to the nation. That, along with his lack of a college education resulting in the team program listing Sistrunk's academic background as "U.S. Mars" (short for U.S. Marines), prompted ABC commentator and ex-NFL player Alex Karras to suggest that the extraterrestrial-looking Sistrunk's alma mater was from the "University of Mars."[7]

 

I watched that actually. I entered before I edited.

I disagree, I like the 3 years from HS rule. Should be that way in Basketball too, but never will.

 

With that said, I think it should come with a strong recommendation that 98% of the time you are better off spending three years in college but we understand that a select few athletes are ready for the NFL after two years of college football.

Do you feel the same way in other industry? Should all kids coming out of high school be forced to attend 3 years of college before finding full-time employment?

 

Businesses get to make rules about employment eligibility.

Do you feel the same way in other industry? Should all kids coming out of high school be forced to attend 3 years of college before finding full-time employment?

 

Comparing professional sports and everyday professionals is a stretch, however I had to get a 4 year degree to get my first professional job.

Comparing professional sports and everyday professionals is a stretch, however I had to get a 4 year degree to get my first professional job.

 

I was talking to someone the other day about writers. Gannett, for example, requires its writers to have a degree or be working towards a degree. You could be Thoreau writing skills but you ain't working there without your degree or path towards it.

I think I coulda done dentistry right out of high school.

I was talking to someone the other day about writers. Gannett, for example, requires its writers to have a degree or be working towards a degree. You could be Thoreau writing skills but you ain't working there without your degree or path towards it.

 

If you look at professional jobs, you almost always have a time frame until you can actually work in the field. Be it a college professional (Accountant, Doctor, Lawyer, Teacher, IT person, whatever) or Skilled professionals that need a license, (electrician, plumber, HVAC) have to do apprenticeships and such to be certified.

 

I will state that for a decent amount of jobs, the "College Degree" requirement is silly.

Way too dangerous IMO. The physical difference between a 18 vs 22 year old (college) is MINIMAL compared to an 18 year old vs 26 year old (pro's).

I think I coulda done dentistry right out of high school.

 

I want to hit that softball! :D

Otis did it. Played for the Raiders when they were mean.

 

Actually Otis went to the Marines after High School and then came back at 21 and played in the NFL.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otis_Sistrunk

 

Sorry, just read Jumper's post.

 

I want to hit that softball! :D

Be nice. I'm trying to be a gentler kinder individual.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.