The most spoken language in 2050?

75center

French? Would never have guessed it. However, at one time I worked for a company with European operations and our manager over there told me that there's a lot of egos involved with all the languages spoken. Everyone insists on doing business in their own language but French is one everyone will accept because no one is threatened by the French. Therefore many Europeans spoke French in addition to their native language. I always thought that was pretty funny but maybe she was on to something.

French: Lingua franca

French? Would never have guessed it. However, at one time I worked for a company with European operations and our manager over there told me that there's a lot of egos involved with all the languages spoken. Everyone insists on doing business in their own language but French is one everyone will accept because no one is threatened by the French. Therefore many Europeans spoke French in addition to their native language. I always thought that was pretty funny but maybe she was on to something.

There better be some English speaking folks around to once again bail the French out!

Well their lack of action during the two World Wars is probably the reason. I wouldn't be threatened by them either. :D

That is interesting however. I would have thought it would be Spanish.

The United States , Russia , or China aren't speaking French as a primary language anytime soon. The entire premise seems silly. The days of Europe dictating the world are long past.

Agreed, I don't see it. I speak a few languages, not great but well enough, and I never thought about having to learn French.