The Andy Dalton "Injury"

theguru

I haven't been keeping up (too much high school football going on and the NFL comes second) but does anyone think Dalton's injury could have been fudged a little bit to give AJ McCarron a real game experience where he had to come into a game unexpectedly and perform vs. just starting the second half and game four of the preseason?

Only "problem" is the experiment went better than planned and may essentially backfire on the Bengals/Lewis/Jackson/Dalton moving forward?

No, I think they already knew what they had or they wouldn't have released Johnson earlier in the week. I really believe AD tweaked it and it was a Pre-season game and they thought let's not risk it and this will be a good thing to let AJ work with the ones. I think they are glad he did well. Why wouldn't they?

I also don't think it has backfired at all. AJ did exactly what you want your backup to do. Come into the game when the starter goes done and the offense keeps rolling. Teams in the league would pray for a backup QB that is capable of doing that. I don't think one preseason game is going to make people call for Dalton's head any more than they already do. I think it was just a nice luxury to have knowing if AD goes down, AJ can pick up the reigns.

I haven't been keeping up (too much high school football going on and the NFL comes second) but does anyone think Dalton's injury could have been fudged a little bit to give AJ McCarron a real game experience where he had to come into a game unexpectedly and perform vs. just starting the second half and game four of the preseason?

Only "problem" is the experiment went better than planned and may essentially backfire on the Bengals/Lewis/Jackson/Dalton moving forward?

No, I don't think so. The Bengals knew they would get a great feel for AJ in game 4 of the preseason.