Is Covington Holy Cross a Factor in NKY 2A?

ATLCat

The Indians have been bad...real bad... for a few years now but after starting 2-0 and defeating Walton-Verona on the road are they a sleeper to make some noise this year?

Should Lloyd feel threatened? Any cause for concern for NewCath? Is it more of a product of WV just being way down?

HC is gonna be a tough for everyone they play this year. They're greatly improved on both sides of the ball. IMO the WV game was not as close as the score showed with 2 TD's called back and suspect calls that extended drives for WV.

Its gonna be a fun year for the lil school in latonia.

Yes Lloyd should consider HC a threat. Lloyd has had their number the last 3 years, but the history of the rivalry, HC has dominated. Lloyd has some really good skill athletes and I think their offense is pretty good. Their defense will give up some points though. HC and Lloyd will be a great matchup. Newport will get beat by both teams and it won't be close with either of them, imo. NewCath has played some good competition and haven't looked very good. The gap has closed, but until one of them beats NCC, I will always say NCC is the team to beat in 2A in NKY

I will disagree with that statement. HC started having some very good teams in the mid 2000's. Their first team ever was 1999. When they did start playing each other, HC has many more wins. Lloyd has only beaten them 3 times ever. Short history or not, these two programs are trending upward at the moment and this will be a great game to see

^ To be fair, it is a very short history between these two. If they would have been playing each other regularly before the 6 class era, Lloyd would have won most if not all.

I will disagree with that statement. HC started having some very good teams in the mid 2000's. Their first team ever was 1999. When they did start playing each other, HC has many more wins. Lloyd has only beaten them 3 times ever. Short history or not, these two programs are trending upward at the moment and this will be a great game to see

I believe the series record is Holy Cross 4 Lloyd 3. They did not play each other till the 6 class era. That is my point. If they would have played prior to that, Lloyd would surely lead the series based on what the two programs were like from 1998-2006. Bottom line, I don't think you can say Holy Cross has dominated Lloyd. The series is as even as it can be after 7 games.

HC is gonna be a tough for everyone they play this year. They're greatly improved on both sides of the ball. IMO the WV game was not as close as the score showed with 2 TD's called back and suspect calls that extended drives for WV.

Its gonna be a fun year for the lil school in latonia.

Totally disagree with this. Walton had two td's called back on "phantom" holding calls, at least two fumbles, interception for a td, and then a double personal foul that extended a HC drive for a touchdown that was questionable. This game could have gone the other way just as easily. It didn't and Walton did not execute well enough but to say this was not as close as it was is silly.

Well, they started playing each other in '07 just prior to the 6 class system. HC is 5-3 at this time. In '05 and '06, Lloyd only won 4 games each season and we would have to assume since they played common opponents, looking at the scores, HC would have won those as well due to Lloyd rebuilding at that point, much like HC has the last couple of seasons. The reason I said HC dominated them because in those 5 wins, HC won by a significant margin 4 out of 5. Where Lloyd has 3 wins and 2 of them were by less than a TD. HC didn't even start a team until 1999, so to compare a tradition rich program to an upstart program those first few years is kind of silly. I think both programs at his point are about even.

I believe the series record is Holy Cross 4 Lloyd 3. They did not play each other till the 6 class era. That is my point. If they would have played prior to that, Lloyd would surely lead the series based on what the two programs were like from 1998-2006. Bottom line, I don't think you can say Holy Cross has dominated Lloyd. The series is as even as it can be after 7 games.

Totally disagree with this. Walton had two td's called back on "phantom" holding calls, at least two fumbles, interception for a td, and then a double personal foul that extended a HC drive for a touchdown that was questionable. This game could have gone the other way just as easily. It didn't and Walton did not execute well enough but to say this was not as close as it was is silly.

I can agree with @The sarge. Walton-Verona had more yards rushing and passing and more plays. They dominated Time of Possession. However, they were only 6/12 on third down and 2/6 on fourth down. That hurt the Bearcats (IMO was crucial toward the outcome). Holy Cross was more efficient with their fewer plays and were better on 3rd and 4th downs. There were some tough calls from the officials on both sides of the ball. I thought it evened out. It was played as a close game although the scoreboard reflected a 2 TD difference.

IMO and its biased :)... HC played a better football game on both sides of the ball. Being more proficient on 3rd & 4th downs is a good thing from what I understand about football. Now IMO there is no such thing as a phantom holding call on an interior lineman of the home team during a goal line stand. The roughing the passer call that negated a pick 6 is questionable because it was bang bang. Either the defender hit the QB on time or he hit him late. If he hit him late the QB was at that point a defender and got blocked. The ref that made the call was also the ref that tried to spot the ball at the 1 yard line after the initial kickoff went out of bounds.

WV played hard the entire game but HC played better with arguably more talent.