EKU Leaving the Ohio Valley Conference?

Wireman

EKU is D1 in football now, just FCS instead of FBS.

True. The old Division I and I-AA monikers have been slow to leave, especially for me. I think most people who talk about I-AA/FCS teams don't consider them Division I, although they in fact are.

The President at EKU seems committed to moving football to FBS and the Sunbelt seems to be the only conference looking to add teams. This decision may come down to EKU or Coastal Carolina. In either case, lots of travel for the Colonels.

Personally, I prefer to see them in the MAC. They just beat a bad Miami Ohio team last year and the travel would be better.

I'm sure the move would be financial, driven by football. Not sure that there is any benefit for the basketball team since the OVC champion already gets a bid to the tourney. For football, maybe a trips to TX and LA would help with recruiting down there.

I'd heard this rumored a few months ago. I've wondered what will ultimately become of the OVC. They along with Murray State and Morehead State are the three remaining founding members of the OVC.

These things have a way of keeping on one way or another. The Missouri Valley is still kicking and Drake is the only original member of that conference that's still in it.