Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When will a Lexington 4A school win another championship?

Featured Replies

  • Replies 45
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think you will see another school besides T and X win state. Where they are from doesnt matter, lex, louisville, BG, NKY, IT doesnt matter.

I dont think you will see another school besides T and X win state. Where they are from doesnt matter, lex, louisville, BG, NKY, IT doesnt matter.

 

First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if Male won it all THIS year so I certainly wouldn't count out Louisville.

 

Second, as I have stated before, NKY 4A is getting better all the time and it's only a matter of time before an NKY 4A team gets the job done. I'll even predict right now that Trinity will be the only Louisville team to win a game against NKY 4A in the first round of the playoffs this year. They have shown in recent years that they can compete with the likes of Trinity. Now they need to take that next step and take home a ring. It will be up to the NKY 4A coaches to raise both their game and the game of their players to reach that next level. I look forward to it.

 

As far as EKY 4A, they are the longest of long shots. Most of those schools are just barely 4A in enrollment and they don't have the winning tradition of some the the smaller schools in EKY. Lack of a winning tradition and a 2-1 disadvantage in enrollment is too big a hurdle for them to overcome.

 

In WKY, I doubt that it will happen other than possibly Henderson Co and even then I think they need to get a coach in there who is willing to use the numbers at his disposal. Some of the other good football schools are in smaller classes (Mayfield, Owensboro Catholic) or are border-line between 3A and 4A (Bowling Green) and don't compete at the 4A level, at least not all years. Perhaps westsider could comment on other WKY teams that might have a shot.

 

IMHO, the Lex schools are the biggest underachievers in 4A. They have both the numbers and the athletes to get the job done and they have failed in the past. You could draw comparisons between the Lex 4A schools of recent years and the Boone Co teams of the late 80's and early 90's. Enough talent to get the job done, at least on a par with X or T in some years, but for various reasons, including coaching they didn't get the job done. (Hey Boone Co: it's spelled P-A-S-S!). Scott Co, Henry Clay or Dunbar might be able win state and I wouldn't be completely shocked if they did but I can't say that I expect it will happen.

First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if Male won it all THIS year so I certainly wouldn't count out Louisville.

Male wouldn't be able to beat us this year. Not with Cov back ;)

Second, as I have stated before, NKY 4A is getting better all the time and it's only a matter of time before an NKY 4A team gets the job done. They have shown in recent years that they can compete with the likes of Trinity.

Are we talking football or basketball? Dixie got Trinity in 2004. Guess how the other years have fared...

 

2005: Simon Kenton 52-0

Boone County 45-0

 

2003: Boone County 49-0

 

2002: Ryle 48-9

Dixie Heights 31-16

Boone County 41-3

 

2001: Simon Kenton 60-0

 

2000: Ryle 35-3

 

Outside 2004, Trinity is 8-0 against NKY and has outscored them 361-31.

First of all, I wouldn't be surprised if Male won it all THIS year so I certainly wouldn't count out Louisville.

 

Second, as I have stated before, NKY 4A is getting better all the time and it's only a matter of time before an NKY 4A team gets the job done. I'll even predict right now that Trinity will be the only Louisville team to win a game against NKY 4A in the first round of the playoffs this year. They have shown in recent years that they can compete with the likes of Trinity. Now they need to take that next step and take home a ring. It will be up to the NKY 4A coaches to raise both their game and the game of their players to reach that next level. I look forward to it.

 

As far as EKY 4A, they are the longest of long shots. Most of those schools are just barely 4A in enrollment and they don't have the winning tradition of some the the smaller schools in EKY. Lack of a winning tradition and a 2-1 disadvantage in enrollment is too big a hurdle for them to overcome.

 

In WKY, I doubt that it will happen other than possibly Henderson Co and even then I think they need to get a coach in there who is willing to use the numbers at his disposal. Some of the other good football schools are in smaller classes (Mayfield, Owensboro Catholic) or are border-line between 3A and 4A (Bowling Green) and don't compete at the 4A level, at least not all years. Perhaps westsider could comment on other WKY teams that might have a shot.

 

IMHO, the Lex schools are the biggest underachievers in 4A. They have both the numbers and the athletes to get the job done and they have failed in the past. You could draw comparisons between the Lex 4A schools of recent years and the Boone Co teams of the late 80's and early 90's. Enough talent to get the job done, at least on a par with X or T in some years, but for various reasons, including coaching they didn't get the job done. (Hey Boone Co: it's spelled P-A-S-S!). Scott Co, Henry Clay or Dunbar might be able win state and I wouldn't be completely shocked if they did but I can't say that I expect it will happen.

 

 

The teams with the best chance of beating the big three year in and year out will come from Hardin Co. North or John Hardin. North beat Male in 04 and lost to X by 7. John Hardin beat male this year and lost to X by 1 and had them on the ropes in the last seconds of the game.

John Hardin Co, did they lose alot of players last year.

The teams with the best chance of beating the big three year in and year out will come from Hardin Co. North or John Hardin. North beat Male in 04 and lost to X by 7. John Hardin beat male this year and lost to X by 1 and had them on the ropes in the last seconds of the game.

Nice assesment....

The teams with the best chance of beating the big three year in and year out will come from Hardin Co. North or John Hardin. North beat Male in 04 and lost to X by 7. John Hardin beat male this year and lost to X by 1 and had them on the ropes in the last seconds of the game.

 

I agree. Elizabethtown keeps growing and growing and those schools are churning out better and better athletes. John may not be quite as good this year because of a sizeable graduation, but if their middle school teams are any indication, Mark Brown is in good shape for a while. I expect North to return also.

The teams with the best chance of beating the big three year in and year out will come from Hardin Co. North or John Hardin. North beat Male in 04 and lost to X by 7. John Hardin beat male this year and lost to X by 1 and had them on the ropes in the last seconds of the game.
Sorry to say, but Male's the easy one to beat, because of their defensive system. A fast team can catch them with their pants down.

 

And if close counts, as you appear to believe, then Manual's pretty fearsome- they've come close for years.

Are we talking football or basketball? Dixie got Trinity in 2004. Guess how the other years have fared...

 

2005: Simon Kenton 52-0

Boone County 45-0

 

2003: Boone County 49-0

 

2002: Ryle 48-9

Dixie Heights 31-16

Boone County 41-3

 

2001: Simon Kenton 60-0

 

2000: Ryle 35-3

 

Outside 2004, Trinity is 8-0 against NKY and has outscored them 361-31.

 

The important team is 1-1 against Trinity in those years.;)

The important team is 1-1 against Trinity in those years.;)

I gotcha. I misread your post and thought you said

NKY 4A is getting better all the time and it's only a matter of time before an NKY 4A team gets the job done. They have shown in recent years that they can compete with the likes of Trinity.
;)
I gotcha. I misread your post and thought you said ;)

I've been watching this debate, and it's kind of interesting. The thing that no body is saying, is that while some teams have individuals who are as good or better than individual players on T and X. No one has as of yet built a PROGRAM that can fully compete at their level. It's not the offensive system or defensive scheme that wins it. It not the talent level, nor has it ever been. In any given year there are a number of teams with just as many quality players around the league. Yet at crunch time, who is always there and why? It's much more than numbers. We're getting close and one day soon will have the hardware to prove it. I agree with you shooter. I believe too.:D

I've been watching this debate, and it's kind of interesting. The thing that no body is saying, is that while some teams have individuals who are as good or better than individual players on T and X. No one has as of yet built a PROGRAM that can fully compete at their level. It's not the offensive system or defensive scheme that wins it. It not the talent level, nor has it ever been. In any given year there are a number of teams with just as many quality players around the league. Yet at crunch time, who is always there and why? It's much more than numbers. We're getting close and one day soon will have the hardware to prove it. I agree with you shooter. I believe too.:D
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The big difference between Louisville and Lexington is coaching, the big 3 in Louisville, have the best assembled coaching staffs in the state. I played for Tates Creek in the late 90's and early 00's and the Louisville schools we faced were so well disciplined and as or more athletic than we were. Also having 100 sophs-seniors doesn't hurt either. My best example of this is a guy like Geoff Riddle a QB from Trinity, who we had sacked dead to rights in the 4th quarter in 2000, we had cut Trinity's lead to 27-23, and we had all the momentum, but he a 170 pound QB ran over our 215 OLB and on a 4th and 9 rushed for like 25 yards and they scored a played later, and we ended up losing 55-23. Also when I played in the state championship in '98 Male was the most athletic team I had ever seen in high school.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.