Franklin-Simpson 23 Portland (TN) 14

I had predicted 48-0 FS in the prediction thread. Ehhh, not quite. Portland was much better than I thought they would be. Their QB was really good running the read option, and they had a small but fast RB. Their linemen were pretty good as well. I think Portland will win more than one game this year, for a while I was afraid it might be this game. FS lost the turnover battle 2-0, with a stripped from behind fumble on a 30 yard run ending one drive and a bad decision on a pass that was intercepted ending another drive. Our junior QB making his first start played well, had one pass barely overthrown and the one pick. He made a beautiful pass about 30 yards downfield for the first TD of the game. Not many passes thrown tonight as the Cats stuck to the ground. Portland's defense played well, FS didn't get many long plays, but got a lot of 7-8 yard runs that seemed to wear down the Panthers. FS defense gave up 3 or 4 long runs and one long pass to convert a 3rd and 17. Portland fans should be optimistic, looks like things there may be headed back up. Officiating seemed good tonight for the most part, never can tell what you might get from the zebras in Tennessee.

FS traveled a few miles south and went to it's punishing ground attack to bring home a win. The Wildcats rushed for 379 yard on 47 carries averaging just over 8 yds per attempt. Sophomore wing Saul Brady led FS with 123 yards on 11 carries. Fullback Nick Groves pounded the middle for 76 yards on 16 attempts. Tay Jones had the long run of the night of 51 yards and finished with 87 yards with only four carries.

The Cats were somewhat efficient in the passing game with one completion for a 20 yard touchdown to D'Shaun Martin to open the scoring in first quarter.

This was the first meeting since 2002 between FS and Portland but the rivalry goes back many years. The absence of games the last several years has done nothing to cool the heat between the two schools. It was a full house and the game was intense until the last few seconds when FS went to the victory formation.

Franklin-Simpson opens the home schedule next week hosting Caldwell County.

In the first half FS had runs of 25, 51, and 29 yards. Second half 9 runs over 10 yards with a long of 17. As stated FS had 8+ yd/carry average.

The TD pass LOS was the 20.

FS ran 56 plays to Portland's 44 and won TOP 28-20.