Ohio Sec of State certifies marijuana ballot initiative

The proposal would limit wholesale grow facilities to 10 specific sites owned and operated by the financial backers of the campaign, essentially creating an oligopoly — a market dominated by a small number of sellers.

Again, the same people who rail on big business are "all in" on letting big business dominate this market. Congrats Lemmings. Read the fine print.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proposal would limit wholesale grow facilities to 10 specific sites owned and operated by the financial backers of the campaign, essentially creating an oligopoly — a market dominated by a small number of sellers.

Again, the same people who rail on big business are "all in" on letting big business dominate this market. Congrats Lemmings. Read the fine print.

I'm not a supporter of big business, but I have read the fine print and will vote "yes" on Issue 3 in November. You're correct that a select few will profit from this (if it's passed). That same group has ponied up a bunch of money to finance the legalization campaign, too. I have no objection to them making their money back (plus some). That's how things tend to work, and they've been more effective than any other campaigners.

And let's not act like those who financed the campaign are the only people that will benefit from the legalization of marijuana. Sure, a small number of people will control the grow operation and will profit substantially. But legalization would literally inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the State. It should also save money with regard to law enforcement, prosecution and inmate population. Finally, it will provide medicinal marijuana for those who are gravely ill and searching for answers.

I'm not a supporter of big business, but I have read the fine print and will vote "yes" on Issue 3 in November. You're correct that a select few will profit from this (if it's passed). That same group has ponied up a bunch of money to finance the legalization campaign, too. I have no objection to them making their money back (plus some). That's how things tend to work, and they've been more effective than any other campaigners.

And let's not act like those who financed the campaign are the only people that will benefit from the legalization of marijuana. Sure, a small number of people will control the grow operation and will profit substantially. But legalization would literally inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the State. It should also save money with regard to law enforcement, prosecution and inmate population. Finally, it will provide medicinal marijuana for those who are gravely ill and searching for answers.

Do you think it will pass? All I see are some advertisements on TV, other than that I am in the dark.

Heard that something like 10% of the original petitioners that signed the petition were dead.

You heard incorrectly.

ResponsibleOhio collected approximately 1 million signatures. I think they only needed something like 300,000. The Board of Elections found 6 people who claim that they did not sign the voter registration forms; 4 forms that were signed with names of dead people; and 11 names on petitions that were from dead people. At least two other forms had names of inmates who were incarcerated at the time and would not have signed the form.

Even the opposition agrees that the issue deserves to be on the ballot. And the other issues are being investigated & will likely be prosecuted if the evidence supports it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/10/06/vote-fraud-probed-pot-ballot-campaign/73446846/

Do you think it will pass? All I see are some advertisements on TV, other than that I am in the dark.

No clue. I think it has a good chance at passing, but I think it'd have a better chance at passing if it were a Presidential Election year because more voters would turn out. I do feel that the majority of people generally support the legalization, so we shall see.

I think it will pass, but it probably will not change much. Assuming it does pass, does that mean one would be able to buy it legally and it will be taxed?

If that's the case, I know that everyone I know who regularly smokes pot will continue to buy underground since it will (in theory) be cheaper.