BluegrassPreps' Northern Kentucky Power Rankings 7-22-15

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is likely a good place to start but here are my thoughts:

Could Colonels_Wear_Blue be sandbagging just a touch with CovCath at #6 ?

Dixie has a lot to prove after what they graduated and is likely a little high to begin the season.

Always hard to believe that there are 8 teams better than Beechwood, but we have seen the larger school dominance start to play out with more and more teams 2-platooning.

I would have Conner and Lloyd at #11 & #12 , but with Conner's tough early schedule, they'll have trouble breaking into the top ten.

This is likely a good place to start but here are my thoughts:

Could Colonels_Wear_Blue be sandbagging just a touch with CovCath at #6 ?

Dixie has a lot to prove after what they graduated and is likely a little high to begin the season.

Always hard to believe that there are 8 teams better than Beechwood, but we have seen the larger school dominance start to play out with more and more teams 2-platooning.

I would have Conner and Lloyd at #11 & #12 , but with Conner's tough early schedule, they'll have trouble breaking into the top ten.

With a new coaching staff, a new quarterback to break in, give-or-take 50% turnover on starters from last year, and a murderous schedule, who's sandbagging?

As to Beechwood, although there are a few teams ranked above the Tigers that Beechwood could undoubtedly beat (they have beaten three of the eight teams ranked above them within the last three seasons), there is an argument to be made for every one of the 1-8 ranked teams beating Beechwood. At the same time, expect to see some really great things in Fort Mitchell this year...including, hopefully, a successful trip back from Bowling Green in December.

Conner and Lloyd definitely would be somewhere around 11 and 12...but for me, I would have to look at Walton-Verona somewhere around 11 before those two. I look to see Lloyd play WV hard in week 0, but I look to see the Wildcats win by at least a touchdown. Conner is a bit of a wildcard, especially after last year's season, but I suppose we can gauge the three teams against one another once we get to Conner's game against Lloyd on October 2nd.

With a new coaching staff, a new quarterback to break in, give-or-take 50% turnover on starters from last year, and a murderous schedule, who's sandbagging?

As to Beechwood, although there are a few teams ranked above the Tigers that Beechwood could undoubtedly beat (they have beaten three of the eight teams ranked above them within the last three seasons), there is an argument to be made for every one of the 1-8 ranked teams beating Beechwood. At the same time, expect to see some really great things in Fort Mitchell this year...including, hopefully, a successful trip back from Bowling Green in December.

Conner and Lloyd definitely would be somewhere around 11 and 12...but for me, I would have to look at Walton-Verona somewhere around 11 before those two. I look to see Lloyd play WV hard in week 0, but I look to see the Wildcats win by at least a touchdown. Conner is a bit of a wildcard, especially after last year's season, but I suppose we can gauge the three teams against one another once we get to Conner's game against Lloyd on October 2nd.

I agree with everything stated, except maybe the sandbagging on the Colonels. Their schedule is more manageable than in years past. I think they'll navigate the schedule pretty well and don't think the "newness" at QB or on the sidelines will present a problem.

The bottom of the list will sort itself out quite a bit in the first 2 weeks with WV playing both Lloyd and Holy Cross / Scott playing NCC and Dixie.

If WV wins these first two games, (I'll take Lloyd in the opener) they could go on a pretty good streak to start the season. On the other hand NCC plays Scott, Cooper, Campbell and Belfry in the first 4 weeks.

I like Dixie, I think they have a great RB in Barrett, but I also think they lost too much and they may struggle with only 1 real offensive weapon. I agree with the rankings except I would swap Cooper and Dixie. A lot will be said after week 0 however and things will look a little clearer after we see the teams once they line up for real.

I like Dixie, I think they have a great RB in Barrett, but I also think they lost too much and they may struggle with only 1 real offensive weapon. I agree with the rankings except I would swap Cooper and Dixie. A lot will be said after week 0 however and things will look a little clearer after we see the teams once they line up for real.

Dixie had a great 2014, but as you said, they lost a lot. I wonder if they will be able to find quality replacements for those players. Have you heard anything about players stepping in?

Tell us more about what Cooper will have this season. I hope they have a great season, just wondering who will be some of the playmakers.

Dixie had a great 2014, but as you said, they lost a lot. I wonder if they will be able to find quality replacements for those players. Have you heard anything about players stepping in?

Tell us more about what Cooper will have this season. I hope they have a great season, just wondering who will be some of the playmakers.

I can only go off of what I saw in a very limited 7 on 7 and it looked like Dixie was lacking in the passing game. Could have been an off day but I don't know. A big difference without Drew Moore is what I saw.

Now as far as Cooper goes, I really feel if they stay healthy they will have one of the top defenses in the area. They are returning basically their entire starting team on both offense and defense. The only main position they lost to graduation was their QB who was only a 1 year starter last year. That will also be the big question mark for Cooper is how will their QB play. The rest of their skill positions are returning including the leading rusher in NKY last year in Torrey Cordell-Armstrong (Yes he even had more rushing yards than Dillon Powell and Collin England last year) and he has put more weight on and has gotten even stronger over the off season. They also return the best hands receiver I seen last year in Dante Hendrix as their #1 WR as well as returning their #2 WR also as well as their #2 RB. Something else no one has even commented on this year about Cooper is their place kicker. Mitchell Hollifield who I think is their secret weapon. He was a soccer/football player but has given up soccer this year (his junior year) to concentrate on Football alone. He attended several camps this off season and has been placed on the hot list of kickers. He hit a 56 yard FG at a camp into strong wind and has found himself on a lot of recruiters radars. I haven't even touched on the line play where the Jags return 2 of the best linemen in the area, one who was hurt and out most of last season but is 100% this year and ready to get back at it in Elliott Smith as well as the anchor of both offense and defensive line Marcus Watson who is simply a beast especially on the defensive side of the ball. Cooper was very Junior heavy last year as far as their starters go, they were very young and still made it to the state semi final game in 5A. This year they all have their players back with another year of experience under their belts. Cooper hit a down point of their season when they lost 6 defensive starters during the Campbell County game and went into the next game against SK with most of their defensive starters unable to play. They remained banged up the rest of the season and finally got healthy for their first playoff game. This year should be a huge test for the Jags as they move up to 6A but should be a fun ride.

As far as playmakers for the Jags, Here is who I would keep an eye out for.

Torrey Cordell-Armstrong RB (was among the best RB's in teh area last year as a junior)

Dante Hendrix WR (He is the brother of Aaron Morgan who played for Cooper as a WR and DB tha tmany people will remember) Dante has the best hands I've seen in the area last year and his speed will make him a duel threat with returning kicks also

Jaden Jackson RB, he will get his touches and is a great backup to Armstrong

Chad Michels WR he was their #2 WR last year and can make some big plays

Now for non skill positions

The Keller twins, Aiden and Seth Keller as I have said before, I would take those 2 as 2 of my LB's over any other 2 LB's in the area hands down. They may be short in stature but are the biggest ball hawks I've seen play all last year in this area. They have a nitch for coming up with some INT's also as Aiden had 2 pick 6's in the same game last year and that game just happened to be in the playoffs also and Seth also has a pick 6 last season as well. I've watched them in several 7 on 7's this year and both have int's in those also and they play LB lol.

Marcus Watson is simply a beast. The best lineman Cooper has and will get a ton of sacks this year.

Elliott Smith also a lineman who is right there with Marcus but Elliott was hurt and out for the season after just 3 games. He is back this year and ready to make his mark.

Last one I will talk about is;

Cole Hicks CB He only played in 3 games last year due to injury he got in the 3rd game. At the time he was hurt he was leading NKY in Interceptions with 3 at the time. He only played in 3 games but had 3 Int's which makes me look forward to seeing what he can do in an entire season this year.

Edited by Hellbird

They have moved up to 6A so it will be interesting. I think if the realignment didn't happen until next season, they would be one of the favorites to make it to BG again representing 5A. This Cooper team reminds me a lot of the 2012 team that went to the title game.

Cordell-Armstrong is really good. NKY has some really good backs this year.

And if he's added some size, he could have a HUGE year. I thought he was a senior last year. One of the fastest and most elusive backs in the area.