Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Another Question for Umpires

Featured Replies

A ball is hit down the line and from your position either behind the plate or down the line towards the outfield you can't tell if the ball that went over and above the fair pole was fair or foul...what do you call? Why?

Good question, I am leaning to call it foul. Something just leans me to think, I would have to be positive if it were fair.

First of all, it's a foul pole. It isn't a fair line, therefore it isn't a fair pole. Secondly, you take everything into consideration and make an educated guess. It's about all I could see the umpires doing

Sorry but it is a fair pole.

 

If the ball hits the pole or goes directly over it (ball would have hit the pole if it were taller), it's a fair ball.

  • Author
Good question, I am leaning to call it foul. Something just leans me to think, I would have to be positive if it were fair.

So your default position is to favor the defense and not the hitter?

Make the call one way or another and make it with authority or you will be questioned. Don't hesitate.

  • Author

Why as @Bengal Maniac says would the pitcher/defense deserve the benefit of the doubt over the hitter/offense. If a ball is blasted 300 plus feet down the line is that not more due to the actions of the hitter than the pitcher...If a hitter tattoos the ball like that, isn't more of a mistake by the pitcher? Why is the hitter penalized?

 

The reason I got to thinking about this I was watching the women's world series yesterday and a replay from back during the season was shown of a monster home run that appeared to go right over the pole in left field and it occurred to me that there have to be plenty of times that the umpire doesn't have a definitive view of the flight of the ball over the pole.

 

I agree with @TAC that whatever the call you got to be firm and sell it as an ump. My only question is that if you have no idea at all, maybe a gnat flew in your eye, how do you lean in calling it fair or foul?

In baseball it may have been a good pitch that was off speed and the intent of the pitcher is, if he hits it, it will go foul. That does happen. So there would be an instance where the pitcher would have gotten what he wanted.

 

I have heard the Cowboy say that he did that and knew pitchers that did. Especially dead pull hitters.

 

No way in that instance does the ump know that, though.

A tie goes to the runner is what I've always been told. So would you give the benefit of the doubt to the ball being fair as well?

A tie goes to the runner is what I've always been told. So would you give the benefit of the doubt to the ball being fair as well?

 

No such thing as a tie and "ties" being awarded to the runner is not mentioned anywhere in the rule book.. You're either safe or out.

It's fair until you have seen it clearly foul. You think fair until clearly foul. When the ball is over the fence, if you haven't seen it foul, award the kid with the homer.

I would error on the side of caution and rule it foul. You still give the offense an opportunity to hit and the defense isn't hurt by a potentially game changing 50/50 call. But I'm not an ump

I would error on the side of caution and rule it foul. You still give the offense an opportunity to hit and the defense isn't hurt by a potentially game changing 50/50 call. But I'm not an ump

A great hitter only gets a hit in one of there attempts or so. So you would be giving the defense the advantage?

where is @Clyde when you need him?

A great hitter only gets a hit in one of there attempts or so. So you would be giving the defense the advantage?

where is @Clyde when you need him?

 

I guess you're giving the defense an advantage, but the current hitter is still up and has an opportunity to still do some damage.

Sorry but it is a fair pole.

 

If the ball hits the pole or goes directly over it (ball would have hit the pole if it were taller), it's a fair ball.

 

Sorry but they are officially listed as foul line and foul pole. It is not nor has it ever been officially listed in any manner the fair pole

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.