Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals want to extend Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick instead of 5th-year options

Featured Replies

Their focus right now is trying to get extensions with both cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and right guard Kevin Zeitler before May 4. That’s when they have to decide if they place a fifth-year option on them. That would cost them $8 million for Kirkpatrick and $6 million for Zeitler next year, so they have to get those cap numbers down and that’s a big priority at the moment.

 

Bengals want to extend Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick instead of 5th-year options - Cincy Jungle

  • Author

At first blush it seems like too much money for Dre.

 

Anyone?

Dre improved last year but I agree, it seems like too much money. With that said, if he continues to improve again this year, it may end up being an okay deal. Tough to call.

 

I'd do it for Zeitler.

I'd pay Zeitler. Dre still needs to prove that he is worthy of a big contract.

At first blush it seems like too much money for Dre.

 

Anyone?

 

They need to pay Dre. They paid Newman, Jones and Hall and Dre is better than those guys.

Not so fast UK. Newman and Hall are pro's. Not sure that Dre is fully committed to being a pro. I'm sure he likes the $ and life, not sure he is willing to do what he needs to do to earn that big extension. I'd sign Zeitler- he's my next Whitworth. Has that same type of work ethic.

  • Author

I want to add, I want to see Dre come through for the Bengals but it is preform first, get paid second.

He's proven to be a decent special teams player. If he was ready for prime team, he'd be playing more. You'd have to think with his athleticism he'd play ahead of Newman and Pac. Got to be more to the story. I'd love for him to develop into 'that guy' but agree with Guru at this point.

Zeitler, no brainer, sign him. Dre is a risk. He will cost less in the long run if they get onboard now. He could become very costly. Get him cheap, as long as you can, so do it for 8 mil now. If he becomes elite, watch out, he will be gone.

Their focus right now is trying to get extensions with both cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and right guard Kevin Zeitler before May 4. That’s when they have to decide if they place a fifth-year option on them. That would cost them $8 million for Kirkpatrick and $6 million for Zeitler next year, so they have to get those cap numbers down and that’s a big priority at the moment.

 

Bengals want to extend Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick instead of 5th-year options - Cincy Jungle

They will extend both as soon as they take care of AJ Green....:jump:

 

Sorry, I tried to keep a straight face....just couldn't do it lol.

They will extend both as soon as they take care of AJ Green....:jump:

 

Sorry, I tried to keep a straight face....just couldn't do it lol.

 

I dont think AJ resigns with the Bengals.

I dont think AJ resigns with the Bengals.

I wouldn't if I were him. I'd be gone as soon as I could but he will get screwed because the team will franchise tag him so he's stuck here another year.

Not so fast UK. Newman and Hall are pro's. Not sure that Dre is fully committed to being a pro. I'm sure he likes the $ and life, not sure he is willing to do what he needs to do to earn that big extension. I'd sign Zeitler- he's my next Whitworth. Has that same type of work ethic.

 

Huh? What have you read or know that makes you think he is not fully committed to being a pro? It was hard to get a young guy with no experience on the field when your current secondary had just been a top ten pass defense the year before. However Newman finally started showing his age and that finally gave Dre a true chance to play. Now this year we will see if he can be consistent.

I don't understand why they are in a hurry to sign Dre myself. I think he could be good but he's been hurt so much which has hampered his learning and playing time. Is this his last year or does he still have another year? If he still has another year why not wait until this season is over? If this is his last year, then why not wait until the season is over and if he has another ho hum season then no big loss, if he is having a great year sign him during the season before he becomes a FA. I don't see any hurry in having to tie him up right this minute.

I don't understand why they are in a hurry to sign Dre myself. I think he could be good but he's been hurt so much which has hampered his learning and playing time. Is this his last year or does he still have another year? If he still has another year why not wait until this season is over? If this is his last year, then why not wait until the season is over and if he has another ho hum season then no big loss, if he is having a great year sign him during the season before he becomes a FA. I don't see any hurry in having to tie him up right this minute.

 

They have an option to give him the fifth year since he was a first rounder. The problem is if they do that then I believe he would make over ten million next year. So obviously that wouldnt be smart. Now as you mentioned they could wait until during the season. However say if he does like start off having a great year, you can bet that his agent would then would tell him not to sign anything during the year because he could end up making a ton of money on the open market and force the Bengals to pay big bucks to keep him.

 

So yeah it is actually smart business to try to extend him now without just giving him that fifth year option. They would save money, and if he does have a big year then they Dont have to risk losing him or have to get into a bidding war to keep him.

 

Obviously there is a risk to extending him too because he could prove that he still is not consistent. However as you mentioned many times it is important to keep your own talent you draft and this is how it is done. The key is extending him but hopefully making it a team friendly deal. You Dont want to pay him ten million for next year while also trying to lock up Green. Extending him helps keep Dre without hurting chances of paying Green.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.