Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bengals want to extend Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick instead of 5th-year options

Featured Replies

They have an option to give him the fifth year since he was a first rounder. The problem is if they do that then I believe he would make over ten million next year. So obviously that wouldnt be smart. Now as you mentioned they could wait until during the season. However say if he does like start off having a great year, you can bet that his agent would then would tell him not to sign anything during the year because he could end up making a ton of money on the open market and force the Bengals to pay big bucks to keep him.

 

So yeah it is actually smart business to try to extend him now without just giving him that fifth year option. They would save money, and if he does have a big year then they Dont have to risk losing him or have to get into a bidding war to keep him.

 

Obviously there is a risk to extending him too because he could prove that he still is not consistent. However as you mentioned many times it is important to keep your own talent you draft and this is how it is done. The key is extending him but hopefully making it a team friendly deal. You Dont want to pay him ten million for next year while also trying to lock up Green. Extending him helps keep Dre without hurting chances of paying Green.

If they have an option for a 5th year then do they have to do it before the season starts? Maybe I was confused in thinking they can do it anytime during the season while he is still under contract.

If they have an option for a 5th year then do they have to do it before the season starts? Maybe I was confused in thinking they can do it anytime during the season while he is still under contract.

 

I am pretty sure that I heard the deadline to execute the fifth year option is May 5th, but I could be wrong on that.

Bengals just announced they picked up their 5th year option on both players.

I would have much rather them have had worked out an extension for both especially Dre. Zeitler will be worth the money, but Dre could possibly cost more than he is worth next season if he still shows that he is not consistent once he gets his chance this year.

7.5M to Dre and 8M to Zeit for 2016. They are guaranteed if Bengals want to keep them. Decision made in March 2016. The Bengals could drop either or both in March 2016, though. They would then become free agents.

 

Pretty much a "no brainer" if the Bengals think there is a possibility of them playing in 2016.

 

They must be paid the average of their position.

7.5M to Dre and 8M to Zeit for 2016. They are guaranteed if Bengals want to keep them. Decision made in March 2016. The Bengals could drop either or both in March 2016, though. They would then become free agents.

 

Pretty much a "no brainer" if the Bengals think there is a possibility of them playing in 2016.

 

They must be paid the average of their position.

 

I thought the money was already guaranteed for next year once they exercised their fifth year option? That is why they had to make the decision on that before May 5th this year?

I thought the money was already guaranteed for next year once they exercised their fifth year option? That is why they had to make the decision on that before May 5th this year?

 

It is guaranteed if they keep them only. In other words, it protects the Bengals if they bomb. It protects the players in that they cannot play for a less amount. Still looks team friendly and probably pushes the need for a new deal on the players part.

 

They did this with AJ last year and he hasn't signed, though. But if he is healthy, he will get top dollar. Probably different from these two.

 

They could always negotiate a new deal anytime.

 

I believe I read if they are injured, they are guaranteed the $$. Might be wrong on that, though.

I am not saying you are wrong but the way I am reading it from the stories I have seen is that the fifth year option they just gave them is pretty much set in term of money for them, unless the Bengals can extend them. Meaning even if the Bengals do cut them after this season, they now still will owe whatever cap penalty comes with the remaining of the salary for that 5th year option.

 

Here is an article that based off the way I read it shows that the money is definitely set for them now for next year no matter what unless the Bengals work out an extension. But as I said that is just how I am reading it, you may be right though.

 

Options give Bengals time to give Dre Kirkpatrick, Kevin Zeitler longer deals - Cincinnati Bengals Blog - ESPN

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.