March 31, 201511 yr Coastal Carolina: 20 pts., 8/15 FG, 4/8 3pt., Oregon: 17 pts., 3/8 FG, 3/8 3pt., North Carolina: 23 pts., 10/15 Fg, 1/5 3pt., Arizona: 27 pts., 8/11 FG, 5/6 3pt., Averages: PPG - 21.75 FG - 60.38% 3Pt - 48.15% Not shabby numbers. How does everything think he plays this weekend? Who from UK checks him? Strengths? Weaknesses? (specific to the matchup UK will have)
March 31, 201511 yr Author IMO, if Wisconsin wins, then he probably has to have a pretty big game. Maybe they are close if he doesn't, but I think it's fair to say most would think that he's going to be counted on heavily.
March 31, 201511 yr They will start with Lyles on him, I would bet. Lyles can overplay him on the perimeter knowing he had help in drives to the basket. Similar size and athletic ability to Dekker. Should be a fun game within the game.
March 31, 201511 yr The better put Big Willie on him. Big Willie is the Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All American. Put your best player on their most threatening player. Simple answer to me. Dekker eats guys like Lyles for breakfast.
March 31, 201511 yr The better put Big Willie on him. Big Willie is the Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All American. Put your best player on their most threatening player. Simple answer to me. Dekker eats guys like Lyles for breakfast. How many 6'10" guys that are just as athletic as Dekker do you think Sam has seen this season? Maybe he gets the best of Lyles, I don't know. I feel really comfortable knowing we have Lyles to guard Dekker. Willie gets the privilege of guarding Frank the Tank, the only unanimous 1st team All-American, IMO.
March 31, 201511 yr How many 6'10" guys that are just as athletic as Dekker do you think Sam has seen this season? Maybe he gets the best of Lyles, I don't know. I feel really comfortable knowing we have Lyles to guard Dekker. Willie gets the privilege of guarding Frank the Tank, the only unanimous 1st team All-American, IMO. Dekker has seen and played against the likes of Lyles before. I guarantee he has never played against anyone like Willie. Willie is a 7 foot freak. You can put Towns on Frank and Willie on Sam and then we'll see what Wisconsin is made of. Towns is man enough to handle Frank. He's seen guys like Frank before. Willie can be a problem for Dekker and there is no way I let Sam get loose against UK. That would be a problem. Sam can handle Lyles. I don't think he can handle Willie.
March 31, 201511 yr Dekker has seen and played against the likes of Lyles before. I guarantee he has never played against anyone like Willie. Willie is a 7 foot freak. You can put Towns on Frank and Willie on Sam and then we'll see what Wisconsin is made of. Towns is man enough to handle Frank. He's seen guys like Frank before. Willie can be a problem for Dekker and there is no way I let Sam get loose against UK. That would be a problem. Sam can handle Lyles. I don't think he can handle Willie. While I agree that I want WCS on Dekker, who in the college basketball resembles Lyles at the 3? Most teams don't even have a 6'10" post player let alone at the three. He's seen better athletes, but no one 6-10 that could remotely stay with him I would guess.
March 31, 201511 yr While I agree that I want WCS on Dekker, who in the college basketball resembles Lyles at the 3? Most teams don't even have a 6'10" post player let alone at the three. He's seen better athletes, but no one 6-10 that could remotely stay with him I would guess. Maybe not this year but Dekker has played and succeeded against guys that are as tall as him and more athletic than him. He's been doing that his whole life. I think he'd be fine against Lyles. He's older and more experienced than Lyles also. I just think and feel like Willie will pose way more problems for him than Lyles will.
March 31, 201511 yr Author They will start with Lyles on him, I would bet. Lyles can overplay him on the perimeter knowing he had help in drives to the basket. Similar size and athletic ability to Dekker. Should be a fun game within the game. Good point.
March 31, 201511 yr Maybe not this year but Dekker has played and succeeded against guys that are as tall as him and more athletic than him. He's been doing that his whole life. I think he'd be fine against Lyles. He's older and more experienced than Lyles also. I just think and feel like Willie will pose way more problems for him than Lyles will. Dekker himself is an elite athlete. He is one of the best athletes on the court every time he steps on the court. Your sentiment seems to underestimate the athlete that Dekker is. I also believe you are selling short Lyles. He has been pretty solid defensively this season, especially in this type of situation where he can get out and be aggressive on the perimeter and takes away passing lanes and jump shots. The other reason I start with Lyles is because it leaves me with an adjustment. I can go to WCS if Lyles struggles. If I go to WCS to start with and Dekker goes off, what is the adjustment from there? Finally, I like one of my shot blockers in a position to help defend the basket. If WCS is on Dekker and Towns is on Frank the Tank, they are not in a great position to help off their guy on rim protection because you don't want to leave those guys alone and rotations could create severe mismatches for UK.
March 31, 201511 yr Dekker himself is an elite athlete. He is one of the best athletes on the court every time he steps on the court. Your sentiment seems to underestimate the athlete that Dekker is. I also believe you are selling short Lyles. He has been pretty solid defensively this season, especially in this type of situation where he can get out and be aggressive on the perimeter and takes away passing lanes and jump shots. The other reason I start with Lyles is because it leaves me with an adjustment. I can go to WCS if Lyles struggles. If I go to WCS to start with and Dekker goes off, what is the adjustment from there? Finally, I like one of my shot blockers in a position to help defend the basket. If WCS is on Dekker and Towns is on Frank the Tank, they are not in a great position to help off their guy on rim protection because you don't want to leave those guys alone and rotations could create severe mismatches for UK. I'd say I am selling Lyles short. I've been following Dekker since his senior year of high school and have loved the kid since the first day I saw him play. I don't think Lyles can stop him. I think WCS can slow him down or make him work harder for his points. This is Dekker's second rodeo. This is Lyles first. In some ways it is WCS' first rodeo as well since he didn't play against Wisconsin last year. If anything I may be overhyping Dekker. Either way, I send a message to him early by putting WCS on him from the jump. Putting your best defender on Dekker speaks volumes to me but like you said, Cal has options and multiple ways to strategize and try to stop Dekker.
March 31, 201511 yr Dekker has had a great tournament and I've loved watching him play all year. Won't love watching him Saturday. @PurplePride92, I'm with you. I put Willie on him and hope that his length and disrupt some of Dekker's flow. I would like to see Towns against Frank, but I feel he'll pick up two early fouls. I think I start Lyles on him. Maybe play Towns on him later.
March 31, 201511 yr Willie will guard him as he should. If you're worried about shot blockers, put Lyles on Kaminsky and let Towns clean up the rim.
March 31, 201511 yr Willie will guard him as he should. If you're worried about shot blockers, put Lyles on Kaminsky and let Towns clean up the rim. My thought exactly, which I posted earlier in another thread. I'd then tell Lyles that I don't want him leaving his feet all night to block a shot. Stay on the ground, straight up and don't fall for Frank's shot fakes. Trust your teammates to get the block from off the ball.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.