Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How cold is "too cold" to play?

Featured Replies

M

Football/soccer start out in the warm weather and end in the cold so there would be no benefit to postponing the games since the weather is most likely going to get worse instead of better. In Baseball/softball, there are warmer days ahead and the games can be rescheduled later in the season.

 

And, in those two other sports, players are not trying to hit and catch a hard ball coming at them at high speeds. Football and soccer are considered to be played in all kinds of weather where baseball/softball are considered warm weather sports.

 

Aren't the goalies in soccer trying to catch balls traveling at high speeds?? And in football you're not trying to hit a ball, you're trying to hit each other. The majority of football and soccer season IS played in warm weather. Why are no college football bowl games, The Super Bowl, and the World Cup in Soccer played in cold weather sites (aside from the Super Bowl in NY a few years ago)?? Because you get a better game because the the weather is less of a factor. Also, soccer is a spring sport in many states. And let's face it, it hurts just as much and causes just as much damage to get hit with a baseball/softball in 20 degree weather as it does in 90 degree weather. Baseball/Softball is no less safe in cold weather. And as far as scheduling, you still have to get the games in whenever you can because you've got very limited time..you can't just make up games later or you'll be playing everyday. The spring sports seasons are about a month shorter than the fall sports. I hated playing (and hate watching even more) baseball in the early spring, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do to get the games in, and that means playing in the cold.

 

All sports suck in cold weather, aside from Skiing and other snow sports which you kind of need cold weather in order to do.

  • Replies 56
  • Views 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M

 

Aren't the goalies in soccer trying to catch balls traveling at high speeds?? And in football you're not trying to hit a ball, you're trying to hit each other. The majority of football and soccer season IS played in warm weather. Why are no college football bowl games, The Super Bowl, and the World Cup in Soccer played in cold weather sites (aside from the Super Bowl in NY a few years ago)?? Because you get a better game because the the weather is less of a factor. Also, soccer is a spring sport in many states. And let's face it, it hurts just as much and causes just as much damage to get hit with a baseball/softball in 20 degree weather as it does in 90 degree weather. Baseball/Softball is no less safe in cold weather. And as far as scheduling, you still have to get the games in whenever you can because you've got very limited time..you can't just make up games later or you'll be playing everyday. The spring sports seasons are about a month shorter than the fall sports. I hated playing (and hate watching even more) baseball in the early spring, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do to get the games in, and that means playing in the cold.

 

All sports suck in cold weather, aside from Skiing and other snow sports which you kind of need cold weather in order to do.

 

You're right; my bad!

We are playing this weekend and using it as a way to learn how to deal with distractions. How to overcome things you can't control. We could care less if we win a game, but we want to play. The girls want to play. Typically, once the game starts, the cold goes away for those in the game. I agree that if you can't keep the pitcher's hand warm, then that can have an impact. But that's about it. I say come up with a solution for that and play ball!

 

If it's a regular season game, I would be more inclined to cancel. But if it's a tournament, play it out.

If you cant handle the cold, go play volleyball or something.

I wasn't going to say anything on this thread because this is Brossart's Tournament, but I have been reading all the posts and I have to put my 2 cents in."Is it going to be Cold"?? YES it sure is, and yes it S_ _ _ _! Nobody wants to play in the cold weather, but also nobody wants to play when it is 98 Degrees either. Then we would have a thread, When is Hot too Hot??? They are athletes, they need to be able to adapt to weather as they do each Pitcher they face at the plate. I would like to have certain umpires at our games and certain umps never to come to our games again, but it is what it is, you adapt to each person. My DD has learned that over the years and has grown from it. She used to whine about certain strike zones but now she adapts to the ump and just smiles!:sneaky: I feel bad for our coach, he has put a lot of work into this tourney and unfortunately he can't predict the weather conditions, put yourself in his shoes. My fondest memories of being an athlete is some of the really cold games I played in. Look at the NFL(FREEZER BOWL) I'm sure nobody wanted to play in that game, but now it is still talked about. I have heard so much about injuries on this thread. Believe me, my DD is on the mound and I worry about her arm, but I worry about her in all weather conditions. Injuries happen on 75 degree days, when the conditions aren't Ideal, you have to prepare. Dress warm and play smart! Between innings I will be by a heater or inside, I have turned into a Wuss in my old age!:isurrender:

We canceled for tonight, but had nothing to do with the temps...field was just too wet.

We are playing this weekend and using it as a way to learn how to deal with distractions. How to overcome things you can't control. We could care less if we win a game, but we want to play. The girls want to play. Typically, once the game starts, the cold goes away for those in the game. I agree that if you can't keep the pitcher's hand warm, then that can have an impact. But that's about it. I say come up with a solution for that and play ball!

 

If it's a regular season game, I would be more inclined to cancel. But if it's a tournament, play it out.

 

Doubt this....:laugh:

 

 

One issue not mentioned very much related to safety and cold weather....composite bats. Yes, they are expensive and not designed for use below 40 typically. This time of year I am much more concerned with a bat shearing and the barrel flying towards the infielders, who are concentrating on fielding the ball.

 

This is why it is much more dangerous than soccer, football as it relates to cold weather.

  • Author
Doubt this....:laugh:

 

 

One issue not mentioned very much related to safety and cold weather....composite bats. Yes, they are expensive and not designed for use below 40 typically. This time of year I am much more concerned with a bat shearing and the barrel flying towards the infielders, who are concentrating on fielding the ball.

 

This is why it is much more dangerous than soccer, football as it relates to cold weather.

 

Did this exact thing in a softball game back in the day, half the bat landed in short right field. It wasn't because of the cold.......thin wall bat and the power of my swing was devastating. :lol2:

  • Author
We are playing this weekend and using it as a way to learn how to deal with distractions. How to overcome things you can't control. We could care less if we win a game, but we want to play. The girls want to play. Typically, once the game starts, the cold goes away for those in the game. I agree that if you can't keep the pitcher's hand warm, then that can have an impact. But that's about it. I say come up with a solution for that and play ball!

 

If it's a regular season game, I would be more inclined to cancel. But if it's a tournament, play it out.

 

you :poop: in the ocean. :lol2:

 

not for us on the bench though.

probably had a thread on this before, but would it make sense to flip the softball/baseball seasons with soccer? softball...the girls are coming off their travel teams and would seem to be in season's form...it's not as wet in the fall as it is in spring. Soccer plays in rain & cold, but when is the "peak" Select Soccer seasons?

In softball/baseball, the colder weather has so much more of an impact on the hands (batting, pitching, throwing) than it seems a soccer player would have to deal with in the same cold temperatures. But i guess the argument could be said that in the spring we really only have to deal with the cold weather occassionally...it was 60+degrees last weekend.

  • Author
I wasn't going to say anything on this thread because this is Brossart's Tournament, but I have been reading all the posts and I have to put my 2 cents in."Is it going to be Cold"?? YES it sure is, and yes it S_ _ _ _! Nobody wants to play in the cold weather, but also nobody wants to play when it is 98 Degrees either. Then we would have a thread, When is Hot too Hot??? They are athletes, they need to be able to adapt to weather as they do each Pitcher they face at the plate. I would like to have certain umpires at our games and certain umps never to come to our games again, but it is what it is, you adapt to each person. My DD has learned that over the years and has grown from it. She used to whine about certain strike zones but now she adapts to the ump and just smiles!:sneaky: I feel bad for our coach, he has put a lot of work into this tourney and unfortunately he can't predict the weather conditions, put yourself in his shoes. My fondest memories of being an athlete is some of the really cold games I played in. Look at the NFL(FREEZER BOWL) I'm sure nobody wanted to play in that game, but now it is still talked about. I have heard so much about injuries on this thread. Believe me, my DD is on the mound and I worry about her arm, but I worry about her in all weather conditions. Injuries happen on 75 degree days, when the conditions aren't Ideal, you have to prepare. Dress warm and play smart! Between innings I will be by a heater or inside, I have turned into a Wuss in my old age!:isurrender:

 

I remember playing Campbell Co. my senior year down at the knothole field off 4 Mile. Snow flurries, temps hovering around 35, windy, 55 gallon barrels burning wood near the dugouts, and retreating to the bus for warmth as well. However a really fun experience........NOT :lol2:

Doubt this....:laugh:

 

 

One issue not mentioned very much related to safety and cold weather....composite bats. Yes, they are expensive and not designed for use below 40 typically. This time of year I am much more concerned with a bat shearing and the barrel flying towards the infielders, who are concentrating on fielding the ball.

 

This is why it is much more dangerous than soccer, football as it relates to cold weather.

 

which is another reason why they need to move Softball to a fall sport.

I remember playing Campbell Co. my senior year down at the knothole field off 4 Mile. Snow flurries, temps hovering around 35, windy, 55 gallon barrels burning wood near the dugouts, and retreating to the bus for warmth as well. However a really fun experience........NOT :lol2:

 

Did you win???

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.