Hopkinsville vs. Taylor County (KHSAA Sweet 16)

who wins  

32 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

• Hopkinsville
    • Taylor County

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go with Hopkinsville on this one strictly because they beat Henderson County, and if you can get by Henderson, you can get by anyone. That said, Taylor County has a great team! Wouldnt surprise me at all to see them advance, but I'll stick with hop-town. Should be one of the better first round games of the tournament I would think.

I have to go with Hopkinsville on this one strictly because they beat Henderson County, and if you can get by Henderson, you can get by anyone. That said, Taylor County has a great team! Wouldnt surprise me at all to see them advance, but I'll stick with hop-town. Should be one of the better first round games of the tournament I would think.

Uhh........Taylor Co also got past Henderson, at KOB!

I think these two teams are evenly matched. This is definitely the best team they've played in the first round in the last four years. I am going to take Hopkinsville just for a couple reasons. Experience first, also they they had to play better competition to get to state, and finally Hoptown's defense has been playing really good.

Of course Taylor has Goodin and that might balance everything out.

Hoptown by 3

Looking forward to the match-up. I'll agree with the posters above who have said that being there the last three years will be an advantage to Hopkinsville. If it will be enough of an advantage, we will find out Wednesday.

Someone asked on an earlier thread where Clem Haskins stood on the all-time Taylor County scoring list. I was going through some old publications in my files, and from a 1974 issue of a magazine called Inside Kentucky Sports there was an article about Clem and the 1963 state tourney team.

For you young 'uns, there were still segregated schools in Kentucky during that era, and Clem played at an all-black high school through his sophomore year, then transferred to Taylor County for his junior and senior seasons. Ironically the year after he graduated, Campbellsville Durham was dissolved and (presumably) both Campbellsville and Taylor County were part of the resultant integration.

The statistics given in the article don't balance out perfectly, but the best I can figure:

1960 - freshman year at Campbellsville Durham - 805 points in a 16-12 season - region runner-up

1961 - sophomore year at Campbellsville Durham - 960 points in a 25-7 season - region semi-finals

1962 - junior year at Taylor County - 810 points in a 29-4 season - region runner-up

1963 - senior year at Taylor County - 954 points in a 33-3 season - region champion

The only year his team went to state was 1963 when they beat Breckinridge Training by fourteen, but lost to eventual runner-up Lexington Dunbar by one in the quarter-finals.

Apparently someone has the all-time scoring list at Taylor County, but I haven't been able to locate it. It was reported that Quentin Goodin, the star of this year's team, moved to the top of the list during the region tournament.

So they did!! Good catch Rob, my apologies. Don't know how I forgot about that one! Who you got?

I'm rooting for Taylor; they are in our district. The regular season matchup of Hop coming to Taylor on the last game of regular season was high on my "games to see" list. The weather didn't cooperate, so I'll be going to Lexington to see the matchup when it really Matters!

Henderson was without their 6'8 player when Taylor beat them in the KOB, however Ill take Taylor in the one by 3-5....too much Goodin.

Well, the outcome may have been different if the big man was skilled and came do play. That may be an area where the Cardinals are vulnerable because they don't have extrodanary height. A skilled 6-8 player can have quite an impact in HIgh School. Can someone tell me about the size of Hop-Town?

Edited by Robby
additional information