Hopkinsville vs. Taylor County (KHSAA Sweet 16)

who wins  

32 members have voted

1. 1. who wins

• Hopkinsville
    • Taylor County

4 words... WEAK DISTRICT WEAKER REGION

now u just talking to be talking no one said hoptown and easy win, nothing I heard either.

So why would Hayworth leave a loaded program like hoptown for unheard of bryan station? he was once a college ast id think that would be the goal to return to the college level?

Look at their resume. They played and BEAT some very tough competition. Again, until a week ago, Hoptown had not beaten an elite team from the state of ky.

Also, as I said, if hoptown plays as well as they played against Henderson they will be a tough out. Very tough out. Taylor County matches up well with Hoptown. They should be able to deal with their pressure and they have a big man to matchup with matlock.

It will be a very good game.

In terms of why Haworth would leave? You'd have to ask him. But it's a well known fact in coaching circles that he was VERY close to taking the Bryan Station job.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need some information from the Hoptown faithful. Will they play man the whole game in the half court? Could Matlock matchup with Goodin on the defensive end?

Matlock has to play the big guy. He's the only serviceable big man for hoptown. Hoptown likely puts several guys on goodin. Gray and Gary and perhaps some others.

The worry I would have if I was Haworth would be matlock getting in foul trouble. If he goes out the big boy for Taylor could cause some trouble. that's the x factor IMO. Matlock and his ability to deal with somebody bigger than him. WHen he's played against people bigger than him (physical) he's struggled some.

From what I understand and hear the whole state knows they play full court, man to man or a full court pressure type defense. I am guessing you stick with it. And even though it killed them last year vs trinity. ride or die time!

Edited by Randy Parker
Rule 13

Matlock has to play the big guy. He's the only serviceable big man for hoptown. Hoptown likely puts several guys on goodin. Gray and Gary and perhaps some others.

The worry I would have if I was Haworth would be matlock getting in foul trouble. If he goes out the big boy for Taylor could cause some trouble. that's the x factor IMO. Matlock and his ability to deal with somebody bigger than him. WHen he's played against people bigger than him (physical) he's struggled some.

Who is Taylor's big boy? Both scorers are around 6-2 6-3. (Goodin and Berry)

One thing nobody has really talked much is Hoptown's half court defense. Ever since the Trinity game, they have allowed opponents only 49.9 ppg and they have slowed their tempo and really focused on their half court defense. They still press obviously, but their set defense has improved immensely. Webster County really didn't have a problem breaking Hoptown's press, but they only scored 1 basket the entire second half against the half court defense. Through the Region 2 tournament they held all three teams to 2-22 from 3 point range. If they continue on this trend, they will be extremely difficult to overcome, because we all know they can score.

Do we get the Hopkinsville who only lost to Ballard by 10 at the King of the Bluegrass or the Hopkinsville that was smoked by Trinity?

Methinks the former is closer to what we see, as the Tigers have experience in Rupp, but are for some reason being overlooked.

Taylor County has some results, including a loss to Perry County Central, that do give me a bit of pause. They've played a tough schedule and have talent, no doubt, but I wonder whether or not those results will translate. I say that because they did play some tough games, but there were also stretches in between where they could rest and get their legs back under them (i.e., long layoff of tough opponents before the Henderson County game and a week off from there to prep for Lincoln County). I saw Henderson County at Lexington Catholic and thought they were good, but wasn't always super confident in having them as high as others (i.e., all the way up to the #1 , #2 spots in rankings). I see Taylor County's most impressive stretch as their four day run at the King of the Bluegrass around Christmas, where they beat Waggener, Doss, and Wayne County in succession before narrowly losing to St. John's College, D.C. (who'd beaten Ballard). Still, at the same time, you have to think that these games were also in a Christmas tournament and ones where people hadn't had many chances to scout Taylor Co., at least to the extent that they have now.

Very interesting first round game, but I think Hopkinsville's experience in this setting is the difference in a close one between two of WKY's top programs and look for Taylor County to make a deep run-- but that deep run will more likely be next year than this one.

Need some information from the Hoptown faithful. Will they play man the whole game in the half court? Could Matlock matchup with Goodin on the defensive end?

Video of their game against Trinity last season.

Quarterfinals ? 3/21- 12:00 p.m. ? Game 9 ? Quarterfinal 1-Hopkinsville vs. Trinity | KHSAA.tv

They came out pressing against them and had Matlock matched up on Owens. Not entirely the same team back this year, but have Matlock and Hatcher back and picked up some guards coming in as well.

I'd imagine that it'll be more of the same this year.

Who is Taylor's big boy? Both scorers are around 6-2 6-3. (Goodin and Berry)

Taylor's Webster is 6-4 or 6-5 senior who is aggresive defensively and will foul to avoid lay-ups There is not much offense ran his way.. His replacement is an underclassman, Rafferty. This young man is about the same size as Webster. He appears to have long arms and I think can offer some offense, both down low and in the mid-range.

Look for Coach Cal to come with an offer for Goodin after this tournament is all said and done.

Is this a new development? I sat next to Quinton's mother at Jock Sutherland. She said they had not had any contact from KU, at that time. Does Kentucky recruit Kentucky players? I think Calapari's lack of interest in Kentucky players is a bit condenscending. In fact, I think Calapari's basketball guru personna more than a bit condenscending, but somewhat humerous. I say" Put Kentucky players back into Kentucky basketball!"

Is this a new development? I sat next to Quinton's mother at Jock Sutherland. She said they had not had any contact from KU, at that time. Does Kentucky recruit Kentucky players? I think Calapari's lack of interest in Kentucky players is a bit condenscending. In fact, I think Calapari's basketball guru personna more than a bit condenscending, but somewhat humerous. I say" Put Kentucky players back into Kentucky basketball!"

Cal sure is having trouble winning some games. You should setup a meeting with him to set him straight.

Okay I see what youre saying but I saw the film and Webster looked dead in the fourth just last week. I suspect Hopkinsville will be able to wear down Taylor co 7 especially when the film ive seen on Taylor appears to have a big talent dropoff at 6 & 7.

Taylor is not lost with out their big producers. Witness Goodin's first half absence in region win over Bardstown. In most of the games I have seen they started Goodin, Berry, Woods, Webster, and Ezra Oliver. Cameron Morgenson provides offense off the bench with a 8+ ppg avg, the 4th leading scorer on the team. He may have been the game MVP in the 5th region championship. Correct me if I am wrong, please. Devin Rafferty will be very productive next year after Berry and Webster graduate. I missed John Chewing on my big man post above. He is big: 6-5 or 6 and heavy. His stats don't show it, but I believe his insertion in to the N. Hardin/Taylor home game turned the game around late in the 2nd half with his inside presence and pounding of the boards. At least the widening of the winning scoring margin increased while he was playing.