Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rules Question

Featured Replies

I was watching the top ten most surprise plays in NFL history. One such play was during a PAT the kicker caught the snap and punted it through the posts. This is still just 1 point right? So what is so special about that play? Why would a team do that?

 

Also, If you are on the 40 yard line and it is 4th down, can the punter try to punt the ball through the field goal posts from 3 points?

You can't punt it through the uprights, but you can "Drop Kick" it. The ball has to hit the ground for a Drop Kick to be legal.

[video=youtube;LuAhT-rxs7g]

I was watching the top ten most surprise plays in NFL history. One such play was during a PAT the kicker caught the snap and punted it through the posts. This is still just 1 point right? So what is so special about that play? Why would a team do that? Also' date=' If you are on the 40 yard line and it is 4th down, can the punter try to punt the ball through the field goal posts from 3 points?[/quote']

 

Far from being strong on football rules so.....

 

 

I think there are rules regarding a drop kick.

Apparently, Jim McMahon was quite the drop-kicker and when he was with the Packers (most don't know that ever happened!!), he would come in from warm-ups every Sunday and tell Holmgren how long he would be good for if the need should arise. Holmgren said that was the "least" of McMahon's insane behaviors!!

Apparently' date=' Jim McMahon was quite the drop-kicker and when he was with the Packers (most don't know that ever happened!!), he would come in from warm-ups every Sunday and tell Holmgren how long he would be good for if the need should arise. Holmgren said that was the "least" of McMahon's insane behaviors!![/quote']

 

So was Flutie.

Apparently, Jim McMahon was quite the drop-kicker and when he was with the Packers (most don't know that ever happened!!), he would come in from warm-ups every Sunday and tell Holmgren how long he would be good for if the need should arise. Holmgren said that was the "least" of McMahon's insane behaviors!!

 

McMahon could dropkick very well. When he was with the Eagles, they used to hold preseason camp at my college, and he would practice dropkicking nearly every day. And I can also personally attest to some of his wild behavior.

I was watching the top ten most surprise plays in NFL history. One such play was during a PAT the kicker caught the snap and punted it through the posts. This is still just 1 point right? So what is so special about that play? Why would a team do that?

 

Also, If you are on the 40 yard line and it is 4th down, can the punter try to punt the ball through the field goal posts from 3 points?

 

With all due respect you are in the deceptive territory of comparing "Sunday Rules" with HS. A common error. There is something like over 260 rule differences just between HS and college.

  • Author
With all due respect you are in the deceptive territory of comparing "Sunday Rules" with HS. A common error. There is something like over 260 rule differences just between HS and college.

 

I know but I thought I had a better chance to get an answer in this thread.

 

But..why would a team even use the dropkick? What is the point?

I know but I thought I had a better chance to get an answer in this thread.

 

But..why would a team even use the dropkick? What is the point?

 

Injured holder, compensate for poor snapper, or just sheer humiliation!

I know but I thought I had a better chance to get an answer in this thread.

 

But..why would a team even use the dropkick? What is the point?

 

They wouldn't. Dropkicks were common in the early days of football, and can be traced back to its rugby roots. The ball used to much rounder and drop kicking was easier as the bounce was fairly predictable. Now with the more oblong ball, and accurate soccer style kickers, the drop kick is kind of like the human appendix. It's there but never used.

I know but I thought I had a better chance to get an answer in this thread.

 

But..why would a team even use the dropkick? What is the point?

 

Good thought !!

 

The formation could possibly confuse the D ...

Takes me back to the original Longest Yard.

Takes me back to the original Longest Yard.

I was going to say the same thing. "It's fourth and four and we're going to drop kick."

 

Charlie Blue Eyes made the kick.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.