Betsy Layne situation

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heck, if they can't find anyone to coach them, I would. I don't see why a young up and coming coach wouldn't love this job. I think that it would be a great opportunity and what do you have to lose? There is no pressure to win instantly, it would be a tremendous challenge, and you could make a quick name for yourself.

Maybe the administration needs replaced?

The supt. is from Alabama, the finance director is from Magoffin Co., and the board attorney is from Johnson Co.! :irked: What reason would they have to change anything? :creepy:

I think the person for the job is within the program. Jonathan Parsons. He may be young but he is certified and is someone that will be for the program in the long haul. With Parsons being the head man, but he would put Dwight Jarrell running the team, then the team would really take off.With Jarrell's experience and parsons being young and hungry for success they really could take off...

Heck, if they can't find anyone to coach them, I would. I don't see why a young up and coming coach wouldn't love this job. I think that it would be a great opportunity and what do you have to lose? There is no pressure to win instantly, it would be a tremendous challenge, and you could make a quick name for yourself.

You could make a quick name for yourself as a losing coach.

You could make a quick name for yourself as a losing coach.

Ain't that the truth. Who knows though, good coaches have always been known to be a little crazy. Sometimes crazy people make crazy choices which could lead to crazy results. Betsy Layne will more than likely never be a contender but any school could definately be a winning program if the right person gets hold of it. All you need is an enthusiatic mind that knows what they are doing to come in and get the kids to want to play for you. It happened at a small school like Williamsburg albeit the Jackets had more history but similar numbers.

Jonathan Parsons???? You have got to be kidding. Why would you hire a coach that would then turn it over to another guy? If he can't do the job DON'T HIRE HIM. That goes for anyone, not just Parsons. I cannot understand the people from BL, they will settle for anything. They proved that by the last guy that had the job. Betsy Layne Fan-- its time to hire the right person or just give it up!!! They had a good young coach a couple of years ago and got rid of him. Maybe if he would have stayed they would not have lost the 8 or 10 good players they had a couple of years ago, they would be in better shape now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those players all start or did start for quality football teams all around the area and state? What happened for these players to leave? Please let us know.

The sad part is the kid who works his tail off (and in BL's case, all the ones before him) who believe the new coach (sometimes his 3rd or so coach) tell them that now it's gonna change. I'm gonna be here, and we are going to get things done. How does this kid ever believe in himself, or others, after some of the krud that has happened to him? The power of football (and all sports in general) is that is teaches these young men and women valuable lessons about life. Unfortunately, it also introduces them to situations such as these, where you work hard, put your faith in a team, coach, system, and promptly have it blown to bits, and there's not a dang thing they can do about it.

Hopefully, the next hire will be the right one, the administration will prove everybody wrong, and these young men will turn into winners, and believe in themselves.

Good Luck BL. Don't give up!

I understand your guys point of view, but Betsy Layne tried to go outside the system by the last two coaches out of three and failed, when they went with the community they were some success with (jackie). No one knows the success that is possible with betsy layne unless you are within the program.

I understand your guys point of view, but Betsy Layne tried to go outside the system by the last two coaches out of three and failed, when they went with the community they were some success with (jackie). No one knows the success that is possible with betsy layne unless you are within the program.

My friend...I know you speak from the heart. If there were enough like you there, it could get done.

ANY coach (that would accept the $$ for the job) that enters the debacle of Betsy Layne football would take at least 3 yrs. to put just a competitive team on the field, let alone the 5-6 yrs. to turn it into a winner. Heck, basic blocking/tackling technique take more than ONE season to learn !!

2 of the last 3 coaches have failed ?!? I emphatically disagree - no one has even been given a fair shot !

:bunny:

You have to give a coach there at least 4 years. There has been no commitment to a football program in almost a decade. Jackie Bush would be a fine coach, as would one of the Combs boys. Still, unless you comit to giving them 4 years and control of the program, they would be foolish to try. Given the local board's lack of support for anything football related in the county, I just don't see it. Its a shame.